Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: WHAT TO DO? Any suggestion as to which direction to go?  (Read 7630 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
WHAT TO DO? Any suggestion as to which direction to go?
« on: September 22, 2007, 07:46:44 PM »

Have been pondering what I wanted to do next about another bike. I have seen others ask advice so I thought I would ask my friends on this site to offer their opinion.

In a conversation with Hoist the other day we were discussing the how much we both enjoy a bike that responds when we twist the throttle. Bling is great, handling is important but when I consider spending money on a bike the first thought is how much horsepower return will I get from my investment.

I thought I would list a few options that I have been pondering and see what you think.
A few of the options I have already ruled out not because they were bad but just because I don't want to go in that direction.

Option  1

Take the two 03 Classics and make them both 95". Tman heads, cams, pistons, HPI T/B, SERT and D&D Fatcats.
Quality work takes mucho money. This would cost between 8 to 9 K to do it right. This would yield 110/110
H/T.  After we rode both of these bikes to Hot Springs and back I have to wonder why I should even mess with two bikes that will run a hundred all day long and not even break a sweat. Spend 9 K on them and the bikes are worth no more than when they were stock.  NOT A GOOD OPTION!

Option  2

Find a 03 silver and black Road Glide and add a Jim's 131 with the standard Tman head, cam, piston, T/B, Boarzilla,
clutch, 6 speed goodies. I have always wanted to break 150 (a real 150, not some B/S talk about it) with a dresser and the SEEG ran 142 in Maxton and I believe with the fixed fairing and the 131 I can get there.

Option  3

Same as above but with a S/Eagle Road Glide. After all, this is a S/E site maybe I should get another one some day. This option was high on the list till Brian 103T bought his SERG. After listening to him I am having a hard time justifying swapping motors and transmissions on such a classic bike. (thanks Brian, damnit!)

Option  4

When the 08's were announced I asked my guy at the Harley shop to put my name on a white S/E Ultra.
Well it came in yesterday. We had demo day at Harley Davidson of Charlotte today and they always ask Nancy and I to run that show. I brought the 08 S/E Ultra around to the demo tent so I could salivate as it sat in front of me all day. At the end of the day they said to take it home and call us when you decide if you want it. We left two bikes at the shop and rode the 08 home. I think it's a beautiful bike and as I was riding home I was calculating what I would do to it. You know, Tman heads, cams, pistons, SERT and R/H true duals. I parked it in front of the house and sat there and looked at this bike a long time.  I'm just not sure how much this rings my bell. And then there's that 110 consideration. It's only a few miles home from the Harley shop and this puppy was hot as hell. And to cap it off when I pulled down the drive to take the picture, the check engine light came on and wouldn't go off. Decisions, decisions what to do?

Option  5

I am very fortunate to have a great job that rewards hard work very well. I give to charities and sometimes feel bad about having the toys that I do. I guess I could give money to the starving kids in the rain forest but when the major charities keep 80 to 90% for administrative cost I pass on those also. I love speed and will probably pick options 2 thru 4 when I finally decide.

I would like to hear opinions as to what you think you would do if you were in my shoes.
Thanks

Here's a few pictures of the Ghost!
damn check engine light!     

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
Re: WHAT TO DO? Any suggestion as to which direction to go?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 07:47:39 PM »

front of house

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 07:48:25 PM »

14 miles and hotter than a some beach!

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 07:53:04 PM »

The 08 is in my garage and could stay there but damn it's hot!

What to do, what to do?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 08:03:32 PM »

Chip,
You've started a theme w/owning S/B motorcycles I just don't see you having another color bike in your stable. :confused5: I really don't think you'd be happy w/anything other then a S/B. You mention putting a lot of money in a bike and then it still not worth more then a stock bike. We do that with any bike we own. :nixweiss: In regards to upping the ante in the Classics I would think some mild upgrades would be nice, but remember you both have radical bikes you can ride so don't go to radical w/them to the point you loose reliability/rideability. If you do want another radical bike find you a S/B RG and put you a 131 in it, ride it, enjoy it, and don't worry about it. I haven't heard you ever mention about getting rid of any of the S/B bikes you own so whatever you put in it will be yours to enjoy. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 08:07:42 PM »

14 miles and hotter than a some beach!

If that's idle, it's high.  Chip, if I were in your shoes, I'd take that 08 back to the shop and forget it.......if I'd brought it home in the first place........which never would have happened anyway, so since Henry is wearing Chip's shoes, course of action 4 is not a good COA.  That leaves COAs 2 & 3, since COA 1 isn't happening.  COA #2.  Chip, you are the S/B.  In my mind, I think that is the best COA, BUT, it needs modification.  Find one as stock as you can, take it to Dennis at Cripple Creek in Midland City, AL, and let him work his magic.  R&R cast heads, 107ci, GMR cam plate, cover, a good set of gear drive cams, your choice of tuning, and you're in business.  Best part, it is Siver and Black.

If you choose COA 3, tri color red is awesome.  Again, take it to Dennis for engine work.  Only down side, it's red.........not S/B.

JMHO.

Henry

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 08:21:05 PM »

Chip, There are only two options. Option #5, donating to charity is noble. You could always donate to my favorite charity: me!  ;D

Option #4 - The Frost has silver in it, buy it!  ;D

The only problem you're going to run into is which bike to ride. Or you could trailer all of them.

Go for the '08. Besides, then you and Howie would have some to b!tch compare notes on.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 08:26:48 PM »

I can't believe they let you take the bike home overnight! :shocked2:  D@mn, you must have some serious pull at that dealer! :2vrolijk_21:  But . . . . . since they did and that gave you a chance to see how hot it is running and that the CEL is on and won't go off, I'd be there with that POS when they open on Monday morning telling them what they can do with it.

So, that's what I think of Option #4.  As for options 1 - 3, I'll send you a PM on those later.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 08:29:52 PM »

If that's idle, it's high.  Chip, if I were in your shoes, I'd take that 08 back to the shop and forget it.......if I'd brought it home in the first place........which never would have happened anyway, so since Henry is wearing Chip's shoes, course of action 4 is not a good COA.  That leaves COAs 2 & 3, since COA 1 isn't happening.  COA #2.  Chip, you are the S/B.  In my mind, I think that is the best COA, BUT, it needs modification.  Find one as stock as you can, take it to Dennis at Cripple Creek in Midland City, AL, and let him work his magic.  R&R cast heads, 107ci, GMR cam plate, cover, a good set of gear drive cams, your choice of tuning, and you're in business.  Best part, it is Siver and Black.

If you choose COA 3, tri color red is awesome.  Again, take it to Dennis for engine work.  Only down side, it's red.........not S/B.

JMHO.

Henry

Henry

That was idle.
For me, the Jim's 131 is the only way to go.
Have already tried to buy one from hd-dude but thru an agreement with Harley they can only be bought at a Harley shop.
My Harley shop is waiting for me to pull the trigger on it.
Have met w/Tman and with his 725 cams and headwork a realistic expectation would be in the 175 to 180 H/P range.
Ck out
www.ecta-lsr.com
This is a group of guys that can and have and will go fast.
A Jim's 131 in a Road Glide would set NO records but would satisfy my personal goal of 150 mph documented on a bagger. And per Nancy, sometimes it can be about me!

Thanks for your opinion.
That is what I'm looking for!

:2vrolijk_21:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 08:30:59 PM »

Chip,
You've started a theme w/owning S/B motorcycles I just don't see you having another color bike in your stable. :confused5: I really don't think you'd be happy w/anything other then a S/B. You mention putting a lot of money in a bike and then it still not worth more then a stock bike. We do that with any bike we own. :nixweiss: In regards to upping the ante in the Classics I would think some mild upgrades would be nice, but remember you both have radical bikes you can ride so don't go to radical w/them to the point you loose reliability/rideability. If you do want another radical bike find you a S/B RG and put you a 131 in it, ride it, enjoy it, and don't worry about it. I haven't heard you ever mention about getting rid of any of the S/B bikes you own so whatever you put in it will be yours to enjoy. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Thanks Gary!

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 08:35:22 PM »

I can't believe they let you take the bike home overnight! :shocked2:  D@mn, you must have some serious pull at that dealer! :2vrolijk_21:  But . . . . . since they did and that gave you a chance to see how hot it is running and that the CEL is on and won't go off, I'd be there with that POS when they open on Monday morning telling them what they can do with it.

So, that's what I think of Option #4.  As for options 1 - 3, I'll send you a PM on those later.

Thanks Brian

The sales manager is off till Tuesday so I don't have to tell them anything till then.
I'm going to ride it some Sunday but the more I look at it the more I realize it doesn't trip my trigger like the SEEG or the Frontier did.

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 08:40:08 PM »

Thanks Brian

The sales manager is off till Tuesday so I don't have to tell them anything till then.
I'm going to ride it some Sunday but the more I look at it the more I realize it doesn't trip my trigger like the SEEG or the Frontier did.

I can see that in both of the pictures w/you and that bike. You've got that look like "this isn't doing it for me I'm not going to be happy with this".

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 09:16:31 PM »

http://cripplecreekmc.com/images/inftofoldcar_small.jpg

is this silver and black enough. weight is around 450. hp is at your desrcetion.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 09:17:54 PM »

http://cripplecreekmc.com/images/inftofoldcar_small.jpg

is this silver and black enough. weight is around 450. hp is at your desrcetion.

Red

Will not let me open it!
I want to see it!

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 09:20:19 PM »

i cant seem to fix it.

www.cripplecreekmc.com

check it out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 25 queries.