Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: How common is the dreaded rear head gasket leak?  (Read 26624 times)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: How common is the dreaded rear head gasket leak?
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2008, 06:43:30 PM »

Just curious.   Is everyone using synthetic oil or is this happening with both syn and regular oil?  (not that this has anything to do with the leaking problem)

The factory fill Syn 3 is semi synthetic and most people either stick with it or go to a full synthetic like Mobil1, Redline, or Amsoil.  The type of oil isn't a factor, just a bad design of the sealing ring and the heat the 110's put off.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2008, 06:44:07 PM »

Just curious.   Is everyone using synthetic oil or is this happening with both syn and regular oil?  (not that this has anything to do with the leaking problem)

I think it's a safe bet that everyone is using Syn3 or better. I don't know of anyone going back to HD-360 Dino oil.

:indian_chief:

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2008, 08:08:29 PM »

BadDawg

I still had syn 3 in her when the liner slipped.

JW

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2008, 08:51:16 AM »

I have been using SYN3 but I was going to switch over to Amsoil at 10,000 if I can get there. 8) 8) 8) 8)
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2008, 08:54:51 AM »

I have been using SYN3 but I was going to switch over to Amsoil at 10,000 if I can get there. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Where you live, 10k should be no problem. I hear you guys can ride 13 months a year out there. That's so awesome.  :)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2008, 09:34:13 AM »

Yea Living in Tucson we can ride year around!! That is why I moved her 30 yrs ago from back east. That 110 motor sure gets my attention in the middle of the summer though!!!!! It's a dry heat though!! 8) 8) 8) 8)
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2008, 10:01:20 AM »

Yea Living in Tucson we can ride year around!! That is why I moved her 30 yrs ago from back east. That 110 motor sure gets my attention in the middle of the summer though!!!!! It's a dry heat though!! 8) 8) 8) 8)

So is an oven! ;D ;D ;D

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2008, 10:21:25 AM »

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2008, 05:05:04 AM »

I was at dealer last night and they said they had the new head gaskets in and was ready to start on my leak. I will let known what they find on tear down,they are gonna check heads out also. RIDE SAFE JDO

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2008, 09:23:29 AM »

Hi everyone-
Haven't had much to say lately. Been so busy, but..

Starting on Dec 30 my SEUC was towed to the New Orleans H-D shop.
Several weeks earlier, another local dealer had looked at the motor and said they would fix just the rear gasket and proceeded to order the parts.
In the meantime, the battery went dead while parked on Bourbon St for New Years week-end (a nightmare to get a flat-bed truck down Bourbon on New Years weekend). While replacing the battery, they noticed the front head gasket leak, besides the rear!   
:-X

So the did EVERYTHING starting at both cylinder base gaskets, just to be sure.
And they are replacing the front turn signals due to water leaking in and peeling the chrome, also relacing the tour-pak hinge, because the pin keeps sliding out, riping into the liner and giving cause for concern that the lid could just come off!  Only took the 16 days to complete the job...   

Other than the seat & dash switches being replaced previously, this bike is ok! :nixweiss:
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »

My bike has been hibernating at the dealers since mid October with the rear head gasket leak as well as front cylinder base gasket spewing a nice Amsoil mist.  Have been holding them off on repairs hoping that a final cure might have surfaced by now. We probably have another couple of months to go until the weather here lets us ride, but
I'm thinking of giving the dealer a call and get him moving on it. I only hope that they do sufficient tear down inspection and research to eventually fix it properly.   >:( What rev gasket are we at now? ???

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2008, 10:48:54 PM »

My bike has been hibernating at the dealers since mid October with the rear head gasket leak as well as front cylinder base gasket spewing a nice Amsoil mist.  Have been holding them off on repairs hoping that a final cure might have surfaced by now. We probably have another couple of months to go until the weather here lets us ride, but
I'm thinking of giving the dealer a call and get him moving on it. I only hope that they do sufficient tear down inspection and research to eventually fix it properly.   >:( What rev gasket are we at now? ???

Is this serious, or would you like to continue to be ignored! ::) :D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2008, 12:48:35 AM »

No ignoring needed at the moment, this repair is a serious matter !  :o I want it repaired once and only once. If not I guess I'll have to get you to send me a list of the parts I will need to do it right. ;D I'm still looking to have that IDS installed whenever they have the motor ready to go. Not unusual, I guess, but was reading here a couple of months ago about HD paying a portion of the install labor on it but apparently not in Canada. :'(

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »

No ignoring needed at the moment, this repair is a serious matter !  :o I want it repaired once and only once. If not I guess I'll have to get you to send me a list of the parts I will need to do it right. ;D I'm still looking to have that IDS installed whenever they have the motor ready to go. Not unusual, I guess, but was reading here a couple of months ago about HD paying a portion of the install labor on it but apparently not in Canada. :'(

It is called the Elbow Grease promotion.  I'm guessing the gasket is -C or -D. 
When HD Marketing gets wind of the gasket changes, they'll make a Fifth anniversary edition of the gasket!
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2008, 08:26:38 PM »

It is called the Elbow Grease promotion.  I'm guessing the gasket is -C or -D. 
When HD Marketing gets wind of the gasket changes, they'll make a Fifth anniversary edition of the gasket!

We keep hearing of new gaskets, but I believe the number in the computer is still last year's "-07A" gasket. I know this was the case five or six weeks ago. They might be going through different gaskets in test batches, but they haven't made it to the parts counter yet. The next official gasket will be the "-07B" gasket.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 20 queries.