Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: How common is the dreaded rear head gasket leak?  (Read 26590 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: How common is the dreaded rear head gasket leak?
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2008, 11:02:33 AM »

Which is why gaskets alone will never solve this problem!!!  Don't ever let them change gaskets only - cause if you do, you'll be back...   :-\   :'(

Harley's version of the cylinders so far hasn't done it either.  Then again Harley's anything hasn't seemed to have solved this one so far.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2008, 11:03:14 AM »

Harley's version of the cylinders so far hasn't done it either.  Then again Harley's anything hasn't seemed to have solved this one so far.
:2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2008, 12:57:25 PM »

Had not thought about that.  Had forgotten you've got at least one more repair attempt ahead of you.  And you've have to turn that beautiful new paint and delicately done reassembly over to a 13 year old tech at the dealership who just got out of tech school last month.  Oh crap.

Chuck, why the engine is out and so much easier and safer to get to have you thought about just ordering a pair of 110 jugs from Axtell?  Just a bit of extra labor now while it's easiest to get to and to save a stranger from having to work around your amazing paint.

The funding source is just like the Colorado River, it only goes so far before there is nothing left. :)

:indian_chief:

fxdsebeloved

• Full CVO Member
  • Four Wheels Move The Body Two Wheels Move The Soul

• CVO1: (Beloved) 2007 FXDSE Silver Rush/Midnight Black
    • alcohaulinasss
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2008, 01:18:17 PM »

Here's the fix that MoCo dictated to the the dealer that repaired mine in Late Nov 07

Pt#16801-07A Gasket, Cylinder Head (2)
Pt#10956 O-Ring (2)
Pt#11273 O-Ring (2)
Pt#17280-07 Cylinder Assy Black (2)
Pt#22285-07 Piston Ring Set (2)
Pt#17386-99A Gasket, Rocker Cover
Pt#16719-99A Gasket, Rocker Housing
Pt#17162-03 Gasket Kit, Breather

The service tech just wanted to replace the head gasket until he called MoCo to order the parts and MoCo dictated this repair to them.  Have only been able to put about 110 miles since the fix, so time will only tell when the weather warms.   
Member # 1786
If you live in the past
You will have no future

novazeus

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2008, 02:24:52 PM »

You speak of my trepidation, my bike is just "weeping" now, that's is what they call it, and my fear is after they work on it, it could be worse. The bike runs great now, so like others probably, I am sitting back waiting for a solution.

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2008, 03:32:29 PM »

I had weeping for 7000 mies and when fall got here the oil started blowing up on tourpak and then it was time to fix. They have mine apart now waiting on cyl's and i hope cyl's are straight when they get here .My motor man says alot of times he has to go .005" to clean them up. I asked them to check heads and do a valve job also. Ride safe JDO

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2008, 12:55:41 AM »

The funding source is just like the Colorado River, it only goes so far before there is nothing left. :)

:indian_chief:

Trailer will be cool though :2vrolijk_21: .

scream08

« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2008, 10:16:07 AM »

I guess Im just waiting for the shoe to drop on mine.....Boy, sure is something to look foreward too..I just hope our trip out to wyo. this summer isnt full of surprises like the ones I keep reading about.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2008, 11:24:19 AM »

I was amazed at how many people I talk to in Cincy that still claim they aren't aware of any major 110 issues, and that they didn't think it was common. And this was non-MoCo/Dealer people. Don't forget, us CVO guys are still a very small percentage of yearly HD buyers. But after I talked of how many I knew of (due to it being highlighted here), every one of them became believers. If you keep bringing it back to HD to fix under w.....ty, the outside world won't hear much about it. HD's got their asses covered from both ends this way too. Don't ask, don't tell!! This has got to make it to the Press in order for it to get the proper attention it deserves!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2008, 12:35:06 PM »

I was amazed at how many people I talk to in Cincy that still claim they aren't aware of any major 110 issues, and that they didn't think it was common. And this was non-MoCo/Dealer people. Don't forget, us CVO guys are still a very small percentage of yearly HD buyers. But after I talked of how many I knew of (due to it being highlighted here), every one of them became believers. If you keep bringing it back to HD to fix under w.....ty, the outside world won't hear much about it. HD's got their asses covered from both ends this way too. Don't ask, don't tell!! This has got to make it to the Press in order for it to get the proper attention it deserves!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

This is true - our numbers are small , so I am not so suprised that non-Moco suppliere don't know much about the 110 issue.  This will have to make it in the press for them to know.  Suppliers directly involved in the repairs, such as Axtell, are well aware of the issue.  But without press, there is little pressure on MOCO to adequately address an expedited solution.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

novazeus

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2008, 02:05:35 PM »

What bothers me is that this is a great time to ride down here and I live 42 miles from the dealer and the MOCO tells my dealer I must trailer my bike to them so they can dismantle it see what parts they need to order and wait for the parts to come and then put it back together, then I can drive over with a trailer again and pick it up. If I could get a friend to follow me to Clearwater that would eliminate the trailer thing but I am still not thrilled about leaving my bike at the shop all opened up for a week.

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2008, 02:08:33 PM »

What bothers me is that this is a great time to ride down here and I live 42 miles from the dealer and the MOCO tells my dealer I must trailer my bike to them so they can dismantle it see what parts they need to order and wait for the parts to come and then put it back together, then I can drive over with a trailer again and pick it up. If I could get a friend to follow me to Clearwater that would eliminate the trailer thing but I am still not thrilled about leaving my bike at the shop all opened up for a week.

Just think how you will feel about it when it is your 3rd time...

Mark

novazeus

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2008, 02:13:15 PM »

Without going into detail, I can imagine how I'll be the third time if that happens. If the MOCO wants to wait to order the parts, they should certainly foot the bill for the towing to and from the shop or supply a loaner.

novazeus

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2008, 02:17:42 PM »

If they were clever, they would loan you a bike like a SE Dyna, one that you didn't own and after a week of riding it you might decide you needed one. Some of the CVO owners I am sure well heeled enough to buy another CVO bike.

fxdsebeloved

• Full CVO Member
  • Four Wheels Move The Body Two Wheels Move The Soul

• CVO1: (Beloved) 2007 FXDSE Silver Rush/Midnight Black
    • alcohaulinasss
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2008, 04:50:08 AM »

If they were clever, they would loan you a bike like a SE Dyna,

A 110 is A 110?  My Dyna has had the leak and repaired....
Member # 1786
If you live in the past
You will have no future
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.