Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Author Topic: front fender contact  (Read 16881 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: front fender contact
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2007, 07:04:55 PM »

I would tread lightly Brian. If you like it, you're in for a double.  ;D

:indian_chief:
Forgot about that, maybe he will not get off cheaper then me. :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2007, 07:12:04 PM »

Do the Traxxion eliminate most of the bottoming out? Due to our bikes being lowered an inch and not the best front end to start w/then they may help. One other question when they do the Traxxion front end do they have to drain the fluid in the front end, and what do they replace it with? I just had mine done about 1k miles ago and upgraded to the SE fork oil.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

The Traxxion will be firmer on slow bumps, but will not go into hydraulic lock on severe bumps. The problem with what we've got is that it is a hole, too big for smal bumps and too small for BIG bumps, the kind that rattle the fillings out of your head.

IIRC, they use a 7wt fork oil, much thinner than what we are running, stock or SE. I don't remember what the service interval is for the fluid.

:indian_chief:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2007, 08:07:09 PM »

To answer the question about whether the fork bottoms....I have not felt mine bottom out a single time since the Traxxion upgrade.  Honestly, I think it would take some kind of HUGE bump to make it do so.  When getting on the front brakes hard, the front end will dive a bit, but then rebound and settle almost instantly.  It was a huge improvement when pushing the bike hard through some of the roads in NC/TN.

They do put 7 wt oil in the forks when they do the upgrade, Gary....that is all that's needed because of the cartridges, and allows their system to provide a responsive front end instead of just firmer like you get when just going to a heavier oil.  What is also very noticeable with the Traxxion is how the front end does not pull up and dive when getting on the bike hard and shifting.

Brian...it is SO easy to quickly forget what a stock set up is like.  When I rode Henry's bike in MV to check out the engine, I was shocked (pun intended) at the difference in how his bike handled compared to mine.  I also rode Nancy's bike, which has been lowered to where the SEEG's are...she has the Traxxion and her bike handled and rode GREAT. 

The Traxxion/Bitubo combination is a very good one, and would be especially beneficial on the lowered SEEG's, IMO.  But, if you do it on the B/B, you'll end up with it on the SERG too, just like I did with the V.  It ain't cheap, but is without a doubt THE most significant improvement I've made to both the bikes.

Oh...Traxxion recommends a fork oil change about every 20K, and a full service at about 40K, pulling the forks back out and checking the cartridges for wear, and replacing what's needed.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2007, 10:12:05 PM »

Terry, with the SERG still having the stock air shock rear suspension and air front suspension, the SEEG's suspension already feels light years ahead of the SERG's.  I went for a little putt on the SEEG today for the first time in probably 3 weeks and after riding the SERG most of the time lately, the SEEG just feels superior in every regard . . . brakes, power, suspension, etc.  That's what has me second-guessing about the Traxxion upgrade on it, even though I will probably still do the Bitubos, eventually.

As far as the SERG, well, that one's a slippery slope.  Right now, everything is pretty much on an equivalent level of mediocrity with that bike.  The motor runs good, but is not as free-reving and healthy as the SEEG's.  The brakes slow you down, but they don't have the feel or the power of Brembos.  The suspension absorbs bumps, but . . . . . . well, you get the idea.  I'm just afraid if I make one change on the bike, thereby upsetting the balance of mediocrity that currently exists :), it's all over and before you know it, I'll have 50 grand in it, too. :o  Since that's just not what I want to do with the bike, I might be better off leaving well enough alone, Traxxion-wise, . . . . . . . . . on both bikes. :nixweiss:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2007, 10:23:20 PM »

Brian...once you start, it's hard to stop.  But, since it sounds like the SEEG will be your "main" ride for trips, mountain riding, etc, you'd probably be better off doing all your main mods to it and let the SERG be your backup/putter around bike.  Thats if you decide to do anything at all to the B/B with the suspension.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2007, 10:34:16 PM »

In time, who knows what will happen. :nixweiss:  The one thing I despise the most on the SERG is the cable operated clutch.  That could very well end up being the thing that sends me down the path of mods on that bike, in which case the suspension would quickly become a candidate for improvement efforts and funds, among other things. :nervous:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2007, 11:20:02 PM »

Terry, with the SERG still having the stock air shock rear suspension and air front suspension, the SEEG's suspension already feels light years ahead of the SERG's.  I went for a little putt on the SEEG today for the first time in probably 3 weeks and after riding the SERG most of the time lately, the SEEG just feels superior in every regard . . . brakes, power, suspension, etc.  That's what has me second-guessing about the Traxxion upgrade on it, even though I will probably still do the Bitubos, eventually.

As far as the SERG, well, that one's a slippery slope.  Right now, everything is pretty much on an equivalent level of mediocrity with that bike.  The motor runs good, but is not as free-reving and healthy as the SEEG's.  The brakes slow you down, but they don't have the feel or the power of Brembos.  The suspension absorbs bumps, but . . . . . . well, you get the idea.  I'm just afraid if I make one change on the bike, thereby upsetting the balance of mediocrity that currently exists :), it's all over and before you know it, I'll have 50 grand in it, too. :o  Since that's just not what I want to do with the bike, I might be better off leaving well enough alone, Traxxion-wise, . . . . . . . . . on both bikes. :nixweiss:

Thanks for the note Brian.  Sometimes I take my SEEG for granted and forget how much nicer it is than any other bike I've owned.  Your unsolicited notes above are an eye opener for me. :2vrolijk_21:  Hell, I'm not even riding with stock shocks........got the Progressive 440's.......so I'm really taking things for granted.

By the way....on a side note.....my right shock has leaked out.  I'm going to wait another month or so before I send the shock in for a rebuild.  I don't mind being without the bike for a few weeks during the rainy weather.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2007, 06:29:29 PM »

Well, here's a new kind of "front fender contact" for ya . . . . . my wife's 300C rear bumper made contact with the front fender on my SEEG today as she was backing out of the garage. :shocked2: :sauer005: :bigcry:

Again, it would appear that the placement of the lowers is to blame.  They were directly behind the fender of the SEEG, which was directly behind the 300C.  If the lowers had been beside the 300C, none of this would have ever happend.  D@mn lowers!

(The "C" even has backup radar!?! :o >:( :-\)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2007, 07:10:34 PM »

Brian, when I was at Traxxion Dynamics I asked about doing the task on a 2000 Road King for an acquaintance here.  Air front end same as yours. 

They said since they change all the guts to their system it's still the same job.  Perhaps a plug to to close off an air fitting.  But they said "no big deal" for those bikes.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2007, 07:12:28 PM »

Well, here's a new kind of "front fender contact" for ya . . . . . my wife's 300C rear bumper made contact with the front fender on my SEEG today as she was backing out of the garage. :shocked2: :sauer005: :bigcry:

Again, it would appear that the placement of the lowers is to blame.  They were directly behind the fender of the SEEG, which was directly behind the 300C.  If the lowers had been beside the 300C, none of this would have ever happend.  D@mn lowers!

Crap.  How much got bent or scratched Brian?  Car and bike or just the car?

Obviously the real problem now is just not enough room to keep it all safely and securely.  I'll keep the SERG for you here to help out :2vrolijk_21: .

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2007, 07:37:29 PM »

Obviously the real problem now is just not enough room to keep it all safely and securely.  I'll keep the SERG for you here to help out :2vrolijk_21: .

It buckled probably the first inch of the fender.  To be honest, I was so pi$$ed about the bike I haven't even looked at the car yet, but it is white and white is very forgiving, so I aniticipate it's OK.  She was going pretty slow.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2007, 07:40:59 PM »

It buckled probably the first inch of the fender.  To be honest, I was so pi$$ed about the bike I haven't even looked at the car yet, but it is white and white is very forgiving, so I aniticipate it's OK.  She was going pretty slow.

That is too bad Brian.  Sad to read about.  Suppose the silver lining is the timing.  Riding season close to done so have time to make it all good again before spring.  Still sucks though. 

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2007, 07:46:15 PM »

Major, major bummer B. Feel bad for ya man. 2lane's right though, at least it wasn't late spring when "the incident" happened.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2007, 07:47:44 PM »

I should've stayed at work this afternoon, I guess. :nixweiss:  I took the afternoon off to go see the school Halloween parade and when I got home, I just pulled in the driveway behind the car which was in the garage, not even thinking about her leaving an hour later to go pick our daughter up.  Sheeeeeeit. :wall:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2007, 09:28:42 PM »

Hey Brian, must be a bad week for Huckleberry front fenders.  A deranged Hedge-Hog committed side-ways into mine and peeled the rear left side out into a 'flared' angle.  Not sure that it can easily be rolled back into shape w/o losing paint.  Wonder how much a 'replacement' will cost us?  And the bad thing is that you have to give them your damaged fender in 'exchange'.  I'd like to keep mine to work on and have a 'spare'.  Guess they're trying to protect the limited numbers in check.  ::) har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 20 queries.