Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: 07 CUSE STARTER PROBLEM?  (Read 6507 times)

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
07 CUSE STARTER PROBLEM?
« on: November 25, 2007, 05:44:25 PM »

Just returned from Key West trip.  While in South FL, the bike started making gosh-awful noise when starting.  Reminded me of a starter going out on a car.  Grinding sound - nasty!  Intermitent.  Some starts no problem at all, other times, real "bad" sounding.  I know Howie had a starter issue.  What "noises" did you hear?  Anyone else?  Bike goes in next week for some other warranty work (tour pack replacement) so will have dealer check - but wanted to have as much info from the guys "who really know".
TIA,
TC

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
Re: 07 CUSE STARTER PROBLEM?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 09:44:24 AM »

TCinVA

Mine does the same thing -- I'm having it pulled in a couple of weeks when they replace my leaking heads again.  If it missing teeth - I'll have it replaced with a chrome one.  I'll post the results after I hear what the fix is.

Mark

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 09:47:33 AM »

Hey guys! My bike had a broken Ring Gear, which ultimately took the starter out. The broken teeth on the ring gear eventually bent the starter shaft. Both were replaced together. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 10:02:51 AM »

Just returned from Key West trip.  While in South FL, the bike started making gosh-awful noise when starting.  Reminded me of a starter going out on a car.  Grinding sound - nasty!  Intermitent.  Some starts no problem at all, other times, real "bad" sounding.  I know Howie had a starter issue.  What "noises" did you hear?  Anyone else?  Bike goes in next week for some other warranty work (tour pack replacement) so will have dealer check - but wanted to have as much info from the guys "who really know".
TIA,
TC

Tony,
Welcome back from your trip and glad to see you made it through with no catastrophic failures.  I haven't noticed any starter issues on mine yet, but have replaced the tour pak already for abnormal wear from where the seams rubbed on the bottom portion of the pak.  What is wrong with yours?
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 08:18:57 PM »

Tony,
Welcome back from your trip and glad to see you made it through with no catastrophic failures.  I haven't noticed any starter issues on mine yet, but have replaced the tour pak already for abnormal wear from where the seams rubbed on the bottom portion of the pak.  What is wrong with yours?
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:
Thanks, Charlie.  Good trip.  The right front corner on the base rubbed through.  I heard you and Wayne talking about the issue you were both having at the seams.  I checked mine and it had already rubbed through on the corner.  Same deal you got.  MoCo said they'd do a one time "good faith" replacement...
Dropping her off Saturday.  Replacing tour pack, left saddle bag lid, installing saddle bag lights, replacing cylinder gaskets (yep - me, too >:(), having them check crank run out and the "rattle" in the rocker boxes, install IDS, rear tire, couple of other issues along with the starter check and I'm pretty sure I've got a loose compensator nut, too. (On the bike - not mine  ;)).
Anyway, after all this, she should be good to go.
Be safe,
Tony

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 08:35:26 PM »

Thanks, Charlie.  Good trip.  The right front corner on the base rubbed through.  I heard you and Wayne talking about the issue you were both having at the seams.  I checked mine and it had already rubbed through on the corner.  Same deal you got.  MoCo said they'd do a one time "good faith" replacement...
Dropping her off Saturday.  Replacing tour pack, left saddle bag lid, installing saddle bag lights, replacing cylinder gaskets (yep - me, too >:(), having them check crank run out and the "rattle" in the rocker boxes, install IDS, rear tire, couple of other issues along with the starter check and I'm pretty sure I've got a loose compensator nut, too. (On the bike - not mine  ;)).
Anyway, after all this, she should be good to go.
Be safe,
Tony

Could you tell me more please?
On the TP, exactly what kind of wear? Mine is showing signs of rubbing & the SM said his wasn't replacing it. They also scuffed the bottom of it (from opening the saddle bag) while in for service & blammed me.
On the SB lights, where are you mounting them? I have 2X 54333-04's but haven't figured out how to wire them up yet.

TIA, AJ

bearammus

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 12:43:43 AM »

I've had the same intermittant starter problem.  I've had this for the last 5k miles but it seems to be geeting worse (now at 20k).  Shop checked compression releases via compression check, both seem to work OK.  Pulled starter, no damage evident.  Tech thinks the starter is disingaging early if engine doesn't fire right away.  Sometime sounds like something is being hit with a steel hammer.  Decided to replace starter, I've elected to upgrade to chrome.  Found damage with primary chain automatic tensioner.  Ordered new, no other damage evident.  Consulting with techline for further info., rework kits, etc.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  This may sound crazy but I've been riding since 1960 and have never had this many problems with any other bike, and yet I still love the damn bike.  Good thing I have the extended warranty, HD will be keeping this on the road for the full 7 years.  By then I should be well over 100k.  Hell, maybe by then they'll get everything squared away?

Bearammus 

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 10:11:40 AM »

I had the same problem and it was diagnosed as being caused by the automatic compression releases not working properly - one was getting a signal but not operating.  Could not believe gears were not torn up but apparantly they were not.  When tech replaced both acr's he replaced the starter under warranty also (chrome, of course!) since he determined it had been damaged.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 11:58:28 AM »

Just had mine repaired @ 10500mi. Starter shaft, starter pinion gear, srarter clutch replaced. Also, since teeth were broken on the ring gear, Moco now replaces the entire clutch housing ass. instead of just the ring gear. So now I have a new clutch. Much better than the old one. It always surged on hard pulls in first.

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 08:15:08 PM »

Could you tell me more please?
On the TP, exactly what kind of wear? Mine is showing signs of rubbing & the SM said his wasn't replacing it. They also scuffed the bottom of it (from opening the saddle bag) while in for service & blammed me.
On the SB lights, where are you mounting them? I have 2X 54333-04's but haven't figured out how to wire them up yet.

TIA, AJ
'
AJ,
Mine actually wore through the "pleather" to the plastic or fiberglass shell, on the right top corner of the tour pack bottom (bottom half of the clam shell).  The contact spot on the top half shows no wear at all.  Dealer took a picture of the damage, sent to HD and they said they'd replace it - ONE TIME - as a "good faith" gesture.  Charlie (Red Devil) and Wayne (VAZHOG) also had wear issues, but I recollect theirs' were at the seams, still on the bottom section of the tour pack but in front where the top half pieces of material are sewn together.  Charlie had a - ONE TIME - genuine good deal replacement as well.  Not sure about Wayne.  Think it would be worth harassing the dealer about at least contacting the MoCo.
I should have been more specific.  They're installing the saddlebag LID lights.  I saw an 07 Ultra in Key West and the guy had mounted the lights you have under the tourpack almost next to the tour pack frame.  Pretty much out of sight (black bike) and they provided very good light into the saddle bags when opened.  Didn't get a chance to ask any questions.  I thought I'd read on this site that someone had done something similar.
Good luck with the tour pack.
Tony

Gunn Runner

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 09:24:25 AM »

Mine is in the shop for same issue....hard to start, ACR acting up, etc....headed over to HD this morning with these threads so lead mechanic can trouble shoot the problem....the bike shuts down on occasions when starting...will respond once we determine what caused my problem(s).
Gunn Runner

Gunn Runner

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 08:28:12 AM »

New starter....the starter clutch broke on mine.  9,000 miles
Gunn Runner

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 08:19:17 PM »

New starter....the starter clutch broke on mine.  9,000 miles
GR,
Appreciate the update.  I dropped mine off last Sat.  Haven't heard from dealer as yet.  They nodded their heads in agreement when I told them what was going on and what I thought might be the problem.  I'm guessing ACR issues have crunched the starter - oh well.  If that's the case, good opportunity to go chrome (Right Dude??).
They've got a long list of stuff to do on this visit, so I'm giving them some time to sort things out.
TC

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 08:21:49 PM »

GR,
Appreciate the update.  I dropped mine off last Sat.  Haven't heard from dealer as yet.  They nodded their heads in agreement when I told them what was going on and what I thought might be the problem.  I'm guessing ACR issues have crunched the starter - oh well.  If that's the case, good opportunity to go chrome (Right Dude??).
They've got a long list of stuff to do on this visit, so I'm giving them some time to sort things out.
TC

Care to share?
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 08:23:36 PM »

GR,
TC
Never a wrong time/opportunity to go chrome. :2vrolijk_21: Get-r-d0ne!!!

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 20 queries.