Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: 07 CUSE STARTER PROBLEM?  (Read 6502 times)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: 07 CUSE STARTER PROBLEM?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 06:47:12 AM »

Tony, make sure you ask them if they are willing to replace your starter at their expense and you just pay the +-$100 difference.  Don't make it a show stopper, but you might want to ask what their policy will be if something were to go wrong with the chrome starter.  I was able to upgrade on mine, but when it also went bad, I had to pay the +-$100 again. 

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 07:31:09 PM »

Tony, make sure you ask them if they are willing to replace your starter at their expense and you just pay the +-$100 difference.  Don't make it a show stopper, but you might want to ask what their policy will be if something were to go wrong with the chrome starter.  I was able to upgrade on mine, but when it also went bad, I had to pay the +-$100 again. 
Thanks, Candy.  I hadn't thought about that aspect, but seriously, with the  quality products we get from the MoCo, what could possibly go wrong  ;)?
Tony

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 06:47:00 AM »

...with the  quality products we get from the MoCo, what could possibly go wrong  ;)?
What indeedy?
         :nixweiss:

:D

bearammus

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 03:07:11 PM »

Just got my 07 CUSE back with new chrome starter, looks great.  They also found a damaged primary chain tensioner, replaced with new improved version with stepped adjustment (whatever that means).  Not sure yet if total problem is fixed, however, the worst of the noises are gone.  Still think there may be an intermittent problem with compression releases.  It might be my lack of familiarity with ACR, still seems like it's dragging if it doesn't fire right away.  Battery is fully charged.  Seems to occur more often on restarts than on cold starts.  ACRs have been compression tested I'm concerned that this may be what took out the starter and possibly the primary tensioner as well?  Does anyone see a connection, or is this just coincidental?  Bike has 20K mi.

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 07:24:54 AM »

Re - the restart.  Not sure it has anything at all to do with real, but folks talked about it here before and I started to make it a habit.  Never start your bike in gear. Always drop into neutral.  For one who has had three starters in only a couple of years, I'm doing whatever I can to help out.  Starting in neutral makes for a clean and strong start, every time, no matter how warm.  Just my small input into this subject.  Hope it is somewhat helpful.

:cherry:

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 10:08:35 AM »

Re - the restart.  Not sure it has anything at all to do with real, but folks talked about it here before and I started to make it a habit.  Never start your bike in gear. Always drop into neutral.  For one who has had three starters in only a couple of years, I'm doing whatever I can to help out.  Starting in neutral makes for a clean and strong start, every time, no matter how warm.  Just my small input into this subject.  Hope it is somewhat helpful.

:cherry:
Haven't heard from the dealer yet on my starter issue.  Just got into the bike yesterday - probably working the gasket/cylinder issues first, I suspect.
Candy - your point about starting in neutral is a good one.  I've always started my bikes in neutral (bad experience with a dirt bike - don't ask  :o).  I still had the problem - lot's of "unusual" noises.  I agree with Bearammus and others speculation on the site - I think the ACRs have a direct connection to the starter problems in the 110's.  Be interesting to see what the mechs come up with on mine.  Just another chapter in the story  :(.
Best,
Tony

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 12:51:56 PM »

Haven't heard from the dealer yet on my starter issue.  Just got into the bike yesterday - probably working the gasket/cylinder issues first, I suspect.
Candy - your point about starting in neutral is a good one.  I've always started my bikes in neutral (bad experience with a dirt bike - don't ask  :o).  I still had the problem - lot's of "unusual" noises.  I agree with Bearammus and others speculation on the site - I think the ACRs have a direct connection to the starter problems in the 110's.  Be interesting to see what the mechs come up with on mine.  Just another chapter in the story  :(.
Best,
Tony
Tony,
Sorry to hear that you're having all those problems. :(  I didn't know that you also had a rear cylinder gasket leak too.  How many miles have you got on your Jester now?  I'm right at 5 K and had my dealer go over the engine with a fine tooth comb (except checking crank run-out), when I had it in for it's 5K, and they said my 110 is still tight as a drum.  Unfortunately, I'm not running with the attitude of if these things will happen to mine, but when.  You had true duals put on your bike didn't you, along with the SPOs?   This whole thing is making me start to run scared.  :nervous:
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 03:16:28 PM »

Tony,
Sorry to hear that you're having all those problems. :(  I didn't know that you also had a rear cylinder gasket leak too.  How many miles have you got on your Jester now?  I'm right at 5 K and had my dealer go over the engine with a fine tooth comb (except checking crank run-out), when I had it in for it's 5K, and they said my 110 is still tight as a drum.  Unfortunately, I'm not running with the attitude of if these things will happen to mine, but when.  You had true duals put on your bike didn't you, along with the SPOs?   This whole thing is making me start to run scared.  :nervous:
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:
Charlie,
Not long after I made the earlier post today, I called Waugh's.  Both cylinders are toast and being replaced.  Sleeves had moved in both - not much - but the MoCo told them if there was "any sign of movement" replace them.  Still researching the starter issue.  As luck would have it, the tech hasn't noticed any thing unusual - no noise, etc.  I told them I'd never had any issue with a cold start - but very, VERY often when the bike was warm - i.e. stopping for gas and restarting...
I again suggested it may have something to do with the ACRs.  Bruce said he'd give the Company a call and see what they tell him.  Worrisome, but it's like the say - the joys of Harley-ownership  ;)
Had over 9K on her when I dropped her off this time.  Plan on putting her up on the stand for the winter when (and if??) I ever get her back home.  Got a few things I plan to do.  Replace the SPOs with the FulSac worked stock slip-ons. (Yes, I've got the V&H true duals).  Have to put the LED strip on the "new" tour pack (thanks to the MoCo's "good faith" replacement!!).  Will be installing the Radiantz LED brake light, saddlebag lid lights, Doherty Power Pack AC, etc.  Trying to convince Phyllis, I mean Santa, to let me replace all the turn signals with Radiantz LEDs.  Safety issue, you know  ;). Want to do the speakers, but think I'll probably hold off until next winter and replace speakers, amp and all and do the removable tour pack trick all at the same time.  In any event, I've got plenty to keep me busy over the next 2-3 months.
Take care of yourself and be safe,
Tony

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 10:22:22 PM »

Charlie,
Not long after I made the earlier post today, I called Waugh's.  Both cylinders are toast and being replaced.  Sleeves had moved in both - not much - but the MoCo told them if there was "any sign of movement" replace them.  Still researching the starter issue.  As luck would have it, the tech hasn't noticed any thing unusual - no noise, etc.  I told them I'd never had any issue with a cold start - but very, VERY often when the bike was warm - i.e. stopping for gas and restarting...
I again suggested it may have something to do with the ACRs.  Bruce said he'd give the Company a call and see what they tell him.  Worrisome, but it's like the say - the joys of Harley-ownership  ;)
Had over 9K on her when I dropped her off this time.  Plan on putting her up on the stand for the winter when (and if??) I ever get her back home.  Got a few things I plan to do.  Replace the SPOs with the FulSac worked stock slip-ons. (Yes, I've got the V&H true duals).  Have to put the LED strip on the "new" tour pack (thanks to the MoCo's "good faith" replacement!!).  Will be installing the Radiantz LED brake light, saddlebag lid lights, Doherty Power Pack AC, etc.  Trying to convince Phyllis, I mean Santa, to let me replace all the turn signals with Radiantz LEDs.  Safety issue, you know  ;). Want to do the speakers, but think I'll probably hold off until next winter and replace speakers, amp and all and do the removable tour pack trick all at the same time.  In any event, I've got plenty to keep me busy over the next 2-3 months.
Take care of yourself and be safe,
Tony

Tony,
I guess that's a combination of good news and bad news.  Good news that they are going to replace both jugs, but bad news that it happened and the fact that it'll be in the shop longer now.   I can't believe the MoCo didn't test these 110's more.  It scares me to think what I have to look forward to.  I hope I don't have the problems, but I think that's asking too much.  Sounds like you've got your winter planned.  That's always fun.  I haven't checked into the Radiantz lights...they sound like a good way to go.  Keep me informed as to how things go with your bike. 
Be safe,
Charlie

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 11:17:22 PM »

Tony,
I guess that's a combination of good news and bad news.  Good news that they are going to replace both jugs, but bad news that it happened and the fact that it'll be in the shop longer now.   I can't believe the MoCo didn't test these 110's more.  It scares me to think what I have to look forward to.  I hope I don't have the problems, but I think that's asking too much.  Sounds like you've got your winter planned.  That's always fun.  I haven't checked into the Radiantz lights...they sound like a good way to go.  Keep me informed as to how things go with your bike. 
Be safe,
Charlie
Thanks, Charlie.  Will do.  At least I'd already decided to put her away for winter.
Tony

h-d mikey

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 SESG Citrus & Gun Stock
    • CVO2: 2000 SERG Triple Red
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 11:56:24 PM »

Just had mine repaired @ 10500mi. Starter shaft, starter pinion gear, srarter clutch replaced. Also, since teeth were broken on the ring gear, Moco now replaces the entire clutch housing ass. instead of just the ring gear. So now I have a new clutch. Much better than the old one. It always surged on hard pulls in first.

You stated that moco replaces the entire clutch housing ass. My jester starter broke the entire shaft off while I was in Hot Springs, AR this year and my EX Dealer Jones Harley in Arkansas, just replaced the starter and I could not get them to replace the clutch housing, When it broke it made one hell of a noise. Is this clutch housing replacement thing standard with Moco?
2012 SESG Citrus & Gun Stock
2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise (Wrecked By Harley)
2009 SERG Orange & Black (SOLD)
2005 SEEG Banana (SOLD)
2000 SERG Triple Red (SOLD)
1999 Fat Boy (Custom Everthing)

h-d mikey

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 SESG Citrus & Gun Stock
    • CVO2: 2000 SERG Triple Red
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2007, 12:14:18 AM »

I am picking my 07 Jester up Old Fort Harley with what I call a BANGGING Starter. I had it replaced once and my EX DEALER saidJONES Harley that it was a faulty starter. Rode it for about 3,000 miles and it still had made the same BANGGING, I took it to another dealer Old Fort Harley in Fort Smith, AR and they told me that the automatic compression releases not working properly and replaced I think the entire system. I would have your dealer look very close at your ACR.

Good luck with your repairs.

h-d mikey
2012 SESG Citrus & Gun Stock
2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise (Wrecked By Harley)
2009 SERG Orange & Black (SOLD)
2005 SEEG Banana (SOLD)
2000 SERG Triple Red (SOLD)
1999 Fat Boy (Custom Everthing)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2007, 09:58:09 AM »

Just got my 07 CUSE back with new chrome starter, looks great.  They also found a damaged primary chain tensioner, replaced with new improved version with stepped adjustment (whatever that means).  Not sure yet if total problem is fixed, however, the worst of the noises are gone.  Still think there may be an intermittent problem with compression releases.  It might be my lack of familiarity with ACR, still seems like it's dragging if it doesn't fire right away.  Battery is fully charged.  Seems to occur more often on restarts than on cold starts.  ACRs have been compression tested I'm concerned that this may be what took out the starter and possibly the primary tensioner as well?  Does anyone see a connection, or is this just coincidental?  Bike has 20K mi.

Does anybody know any more about this?  Several have mentioned that the chains were really tight when they got inside the primary.  I've often wondered if a too tight chain load would cause or lead to the excessive runout.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2007, 07:31:55 PM »

I am picking my 07 Jester up Old Fort Harley with what I call a BANGGING Starter. I had it replaced once and my EX DEALER saidJONES Harley that it was a faulty starter. Rode it for about 3,000 miles and it still had made the same BANGGING, I took it to another dealer Old Fort Harley in Fort Smith, AR and they told me that the automatic compression releases not working properly and replaced I think the entire system. I would have your dealer look very close at your ACR.

Good luck with your repairs.

h-d mikey
Shop called today with good news and bad news - good news - cylinders in place (with "latest" version of gaskets); back together and while checking the starter "one more time" - it crapped! (bad news)  They're not taking the starter apart - they found no loose "parts" roaming around - checked clutch housing - no issues.  I also asked them to check the chain tensioner.  Reported back they found no issues in either case.  ACRs were functioning properly (much to my surprise) before they tore the engine down.  Functioned properly after reassembly - right up to the point the starter bit the bag.
Opted for chrome starter (cheap given I'll only pay the difference).  Bad news again - had to order starter - MoCo closed for holidays.  Probably ten days to 2 weeks before I get her back...
Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to me - ho, ho, hum...
Hopefully all will be well when I finally do get her back.  No problems with the shop - they've been great. Kept me posted on all the details and progress.  I trust the mechanic completely.  Good guy and knows his stuff.
Be safe,
TC

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »

Hey TC, you're gonna come out of this fine......scooter will be fixed, running good, and a very nice CHROME starter.  That part makes a hugh difference on the dresser.   :2vrolijk_21:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 20 queries.