Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Possible pitfalls of RHTD only upgrade to 110  (Read 4864 times)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Possible pitfalls of RHTD only upgrade to 110
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 01:06:23 PM »

If you don't have a tuner close by you could go to Freedom Cycle and they will ship you there elite D pipes, a SERT already programed and an A/C for a reasonable price.  Will cure the heat issues and the bike will run great.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Break-In

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary Edition 513/900
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO3: 1997 FXSTC
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 03:24:09 PM »

A hd dealer put RHTD on my stock SERK, ran alot hotter, got it home called the shop that does all my work and they told me to get it changed back to stock pipes(O2 senor can not compinsate and that much heat can burn my valves and pistons)

Quint

• You all know how I earn a livin'
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 Road King - Crystal Copper/Black Onyx
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2004 FLHRI Road King
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 01:35:24 PM »

FNG, I agree with most of the opinions here - I wouldn't risk a $30K+ bike without doing the remap. As a suggestion, if you want the Rinehart TDs, why don't you buy them cheap from Eastern Performance, buy an SE air cleaner and a SE Race Tuner from Chicago Harley at 20% off, and then I will give you my map that was dyno tuned for my '08 SERK. That way, you will have it properly tuned without the dyno expense (buying parts though the HD dealer at MSRP and paying for installation and dyno tuning added about $1,500 to my bill. If I could have gone the route you can go, I definitely would have.

By the way, my numbers are 98 hp and 115 ft lbs. If you want to tweak the map after you get it, you can. I've run my bike up to 8,500 ft altitude, in hot weather and cold, in humid and dry conditions, and it works very nicely.  :2vrolijk_21:

Let me know if you want to go this way...
You all know me. You know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for yer but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Swallow you whole.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 02:10:19 PM »

Nice offer Quint! 

What say Howie?        :vrolijk_11:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 02:14:08 PM »

Nice offer Quint! 

What say Howie?        :vrolijk_11:

The "good" one or the "evil" one? :nixweiss: ;D

The evil one says not a bad idea to get going with, but get the bike custom tuned in the end. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Quint

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2007, 06:02:52 PM »

The evil one says not a bad idea to get going with, but get the bike custom tuned in the end. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hoist

Although I'm inclined to agree, I'm almost certain that my "custom" map that I paid $500 in dyno time for was done in about 30 minutes. I can tell by the timestamp on the dyno print-out. I think it was based on a map they had done before, and maybe... maybe tweaked it for my bike. I think it's gonna be darn close to any custom map that is done professionally by another tuner.
You all know me. You know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for yer but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Swallow you whole.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 06:36:47 PM »

Although I'm inclined to agree, I'm almost certain that my "custom" map that I paid $500 in dyno time for was done in about 30 minutes. I can tell by the timestamp on the dyno print-out.

Unfortunately, I believe it happens to more people than just you.  Sad you have to stand over and watch what's being done.  I think Harry (Unbalanced) in a post a great while back said it took 6-7 hours to properly dyno tune a bike.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2007, 07:07:48 PM »

Changing your complete exhaust system does more to change your AFR than just about any other change you can make to your bike. You DO NOT want to change to a RHTD without getting your efi remapped.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2007, 10:24:01 PM »

consider also that the RHTD kills power down low. yor cams make power down low. so, by adding the RHTD, you negate the torque curve you already have.

nothing like spending a grand to arive at nothing but noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deucedog

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2007, 11:14:39 PM »

On our CVO Ultra, all I want to do is get it to run cooler.  I could care less about getting more horsepower or torque from the 110, for a touring bike this thing has more than enough power.  I agree with Miker.  Never heard of "ass tuning", but I agree with it, especially if your not going to track or race the bike, and on an Ultra, I don't think I'll be doing any of that soon.  If it runs nice and reasonably cooler, I don't need no stinkin' graphs.  ::)

I have heard so many concoctions on how to make it run cooler, louder, torque'er, more horsepower, SERT, Power Commanders, Rineharts, Hi-Flow, Remaps, I don't know whether I am coming or going.  :-\

Just wish they built the damn thing so we could take 'em off the showroom floor and not have to continually screw with all this stuff.  I guess some owners like doing it, I'd just rather go out and ride the bike.    :)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 06:40:15 AM »

Hoist! 8)

The Howie that began the thread.  I think I agree with your opinion.  But Quint's offer is generous.  There might not be much to gain if the bike runs good with the canned map.  I know all bikes are subtly different.  I'm becoming more of the mind set "Go Big or Go Home" I heard from HB.  You're never truly done with these things.  he could order all the parts, do the installs and canned map himself and have it dynotuned at $$$$ permit.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2007, 04:48:04 PM »

Thanks everyone for the input and especially to Quint for his offer. Let me explain what prompted me to start this thread.

When I purchased my 08' SERK I also purchased RHTD's, a SERT, and SE A/C to be installed prior to my delivery. After a call from the dealer explaining that the bike was allset and looked and sounded awesome I caught a ride to sign paperwork and take delivery. Once the paperwok was signed and we were walking out so I could pick up my bike I was THEN told the the sert was not available but that the a/c and pipes were put on. I of course discussed if there were any possibilities of engine damage and the salesman said he checked with his shop foreman and was told that the bike had been remapped so there is no risk of damage.

I took delivery and was not thrilled with throttle response or how the bike was running when accelerating off the bottom. The engine seemed to be a little choppy but not being used to the FBW I thought I should give it a few miles before I had it checked out. I called the dealer and it was suggested that I was lugging the engine which was total BS.

Anyway, once the SERT was finally put on I was still not happy with the way the bike was running and took it to the dealership that Pitsquid works at to have it Dyno tuned in hopes of smoothing this thing out. The head mechanic who was going to do the work informed me that the A/C was never put on from the dealer I had purchased it from (of course I'm spittin' nails by now)

I had the a/c put on as well as the bike Dyno'd and the chart can be seen here http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=12079.90 The bike does run much smoother - no question but I now get a little decel pop. I am contemplating taking it to another tuner, maybe Joe's Cycles in Mechanicsville, in an effort to get this thing 100%

anyway, I am now concerned as to whether or not my engine may give me trouble down the road due to the incompetence of the dealer I purchased the bike from. IT SUCKS BEING AN FNG!!!   :soapbox:  :soapbox: :drink: Not sure what to do... Thanks again everyone! 

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2007, 08:02:54 PM »

How many miles on your bike?
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2007, 08:06:02 PM »

How many miles on your bike?
2500 +or- 200 miles

Quint

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 11:49:05 PM »

FNG

This is what I would suggest: make sure that you have a back-up copy of the map that your tuner provided, and then take the map that I have, download it into your bike, and do a seat of the pants comparison. If it runs better, then chances are it's probably a better map.

Now, people here will tell you to tune the bike specifically for your bike, your configuration, your conditions, yadda yadda yadda. But your bike's config is IDENTICAL to mine, and while Henderson, NV is about 1,700 ft above sea level and you're probably closer to sea level, I still think it's gonna be real, real close. As I said, I've run mine down to sea level and up to 8,500 ft, and it works totally fine.

By the way, I looked at your dyno chart, and yours is putting out signifcantly less power and torque than mine, which means that your state of tune is probably NOT optimized for your set-up.

I won't be offended if you're not interested in taking up this offer - just trying to help a brother out.  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.