Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: American Iron Mag HOG Helpline  (Read 28775 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
American Iron Mag HOG Helpline
« on: December 10, 2007, 07:29:05 PM »

Someone (one of our members?) wrote to American Iron Magazine about our 110 problems with leaking rear cylinder head gaskets and their letter is on page 122 of the Feb 2008 issue.  I don't have a scanner but maybe someone who does can scan it for us.

AIM's reply is that "At my local dealership there have been zero percent failures of the 110" engines sold, and 100 percent satisfaction with those models."  Then they go on to say that "cylinder liners are cast into barrels, not just pressed in" and that "it would take a heck of a lot more heat than the 110" generates to seperate them."  They list possible causes as "poorly machined head gasket sufrace, or possibly a porous casting."

I too have had conversations with Donny Peterson and he told me that he had a 110" coming in this month for repair and perhaps he could glean some useful information from that.

Wonder if we can get AIM some more specifics by each of us writing them with our experiences.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 07:34:04 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: American Iron Mag HOG Helpline
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 08:03:07 PM »

Someone (one of our members?) wrote to American Iron Magazine about our 110 problems with leaking rear cylinder head gaskets and their letter is on page 122 of the Feb 2008 issue.  I don't have a scanner but maybe someone who does can scan it for us.

AIM's reply is that "At my local dealership there have been zero percent failures of the 110" engines sold, and 100 percent satisfaction with those models."  Then they go on to say that "cylinder liners are cast into barrels, not just pressed in" and that "it would take a heck of a lot more heat than the 110" generates to seperate them."  They list possible causes as "poorly machined head gasket sufrace, or possibly a porous casting."

I too have had conversations with Donny Peterson and he told me that he had a 110" coming in this month for repair and perhaps he could glean some useful information from that.

Wonder if we can get AIM some more specifics by each of us writing them with our experiences.

I emailed him a response describing my leaking head gasket and sent photos!
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 09:00:34 PM »

I emailed him a response describing my leaking head gasket and sent photos!
I'll do the same.

IBA member # 45520

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 09:03:12 PM »

Got it scanned now I'm trying to figure out how to attach it!!!  :nixweiss:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 09:08:09 PM »

Here's the article. Their response clearly explains who lines their pockets.

:indian_chief:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 09:35:59 PM by Chief »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 09:10:16 PM »

Got it scanned now I'm trying to figure out how to attach it!!!  :nixweiss:
It has to be in one of the following formats - Allowed file types: jpg, jpeg, gif, png, swf, zip, pdf, xls, gdb, mt6, mt5, djm, doc, slk Maximum attachment size allowed: 1500 KB, per post: 1

You can go here for instructions on how to attach - How-To add an attachment.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 09:12:34 PM »

It has to be in one of the following formats - Allowed file types: jpg, jpeg, gif, png, swf, zip, pdf, xls, gdb, mt6, mt5, djm, doc, slk Maximum attachment size allowed: 1500 KB, per post: 1

You can go here for instructions on how to attach - How-To add an attachment.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
Holy operator error!!! :huepfenlol2: It scanned in JPEG format but at 2.13MB for the page

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 09:35:41 PM »

Here is the original post on the American Iron Forums.

http://www.aimag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1160

I feel they should hear from as many of us as possible.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 09:48:56 PM »

This is precisely why I stopped subscribing to the any of the bike rags a few years ago.  All shills for some manufacturer.  And all too obviously so.  Even this wouldn't be so bad if what they described was technically adept.  But it's yeoman's work at best all too often.  Even that might be bearable if they were at least well or interestingly written.  But they're not.  How many times in how many different magazines can you read Clement Salvadori's formulaic and nearly identical descriptions of inidentical stretches of road all cookie cutter written to feel the same and all too obviously just sell a story that fits the accepted formula?

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 10:44:02 PM »

Here's the article. Their response clearly explains who lines their pockets.

Absolutely.  But I have noticed that Donny Peterson (no matter what one may think of him) has not been afraid to take the moco to task for their shortcomings regarding the TC cam bearing, cam chain tensioner and numerous other deficiencies.  It certainly wouldn't hurt if he were to write up the 110 problem in a future issue. 

IBA member # 45520

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 11:08:19 PM »

Well I am glad this has been brought out into the public's eye but wonder what will come of it? As best as I can forsee, the only fall out from this will be a decreased resale value of our bikes.

deputydawg

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 02:39:27 AM »

I was just at a Christmas Party this week and was privvy to a conversation by a couple of aftermarket Harley big time players, (with hot babe girlfriends/wives :-*) that was very enlightening about several of the custom bike mags. The gist of it was that several of the editors had been fired because they just happened to feature only articles about bikes owned by individuals that were performing services for the editors,  such as home improvement and the like.  The editors seemed to be in bed with people that benefitted them financially besides for just buying advertising. Supposedly the ad revenue was not enough to fund the continued operation of these magazines(one of which was mentioned to be folding). Seemed like there were some serious personal agendas effecting the publications. I know the people making these statements and believe them to be VERY credible; I would bet money on their statements. Don't know what it all means, but there it is anyway. It took me by surprise, but what the heck, all I really care about is riding the darn things anyway.  :huepfenjump3:
Just trying to give back a little for the help I have received here. Thanks again to everyone for the advice I have found here! Take care, Mark :coolblue:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 02:41:56 AM by deputydawg »
It's OK, we're just trying to have fun!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 07:18:58 AM »

I was just at a Christmas Party this week and was privvy to a conversation by a couple of aftermarket Harley big time players, (with hot babe girlfriends/wives :-*) that was very enlightening about several of the custom bike mags. The gist of it was that several of the editors had been fired because they just happened to feature only articles about bikes owned by individuals that were performing services for the editors,  such as home improvement and the like.  The editors seemed to be in bed with people that benefitted them financially besides for just buying advertising. Supposedly the ad revenue was not enough to fund the continued operation of these magazines(one of which was mentioned to be folding). Seemed like there were some serious personal agendas effecting the publications. I know the people making these statements and believe them to be VERY credible; I would bet money on their statements. Don't know what it all means, but there it is anyway. It took me by surprise, but what the heck, all I really care about is riding the darn things anyway.  :huepfenjump3:
Just trying to give back a little for the help I have received here. Thanks again to everyone for the advice I have found here! Take care, Mark :coolblue:

Mark

Was there any mention as to which publications that were being affected?

As far as the personal agendas, welcome to the real world. The possibility of being bought is real in any type of business. A lot of people don't hold and carry themselves above reproach in business. It has been my experience that once established that you can be bought then the only issue left is the negotiating of how much the cost will be. (or how little)

Look forward to seeing more of your post!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 08:37:29 AM »

The only part about this that I find strange is that someone else might find it to be shocking or unusual.  I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but this sort of thing didn't go away with the convictions of folks like Ken Lay or Conrad Black.  It has always been a part of business (you rub my back, I'll rub yours), it just took the "ME" generation to turn it into an art form.  Call me a cynic (actually, that would be one of the better things I've been called over the years 8)), but I don't see a mad dash toward true integrity in business and/or politics happening in the rest of my lifetime.  The "what's in it for me" attitude is just too pervasive in our society.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 08:43:57 AM »

Jerry

Your a cynic!  ;D

But I appreciate the hell out of your post!

:2vrolijk_21:

And while your here, I need a favor, you got a pm coming.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 20 queries.