Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: American Iron Mag HOG Helpline  (Read 28779 times)

Deacon

• Junior CVO Member
Re: American Iron Mag HOG Helpline
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2007, 03:46:59 PM »

Posted on AI site about 110 issues. I did not mention CVO. Posted as individual.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2007, 08:42:03 AM »

Over two pages of posts. Others coming out of the woodwork joining in. Very interesting.

http://www.aimag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1160

I wonder how many new members will come to this site because of the mention in the magazine?

:indian_chief:

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2007, 08:48:29 AM »

Hey..There's a HawgBreath that posted on there. Leaking head gasket on a 07 B&O SEUC at 5,500 miles just like me.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2007, 08:57:45 AM »

Over two pages of posts. Others coming out of the woodwork joining in. Very interesting.

http://www.aimag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1160

I wonder how many new members will come to this site because of the mention in the magazine?

Two pages of complaints about an unnamed major motorcycle manufacturer in Milwaukee (UMMMM)?  Whodathunkit?

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2007, 10:18:15 AM »

Hey..There's a HawgBreath that posted on there. Leaking head gasket on a 07 B&O SEUC at 5,500 miles just like me.

I'm not sure if the extended warranty would cover leaking gaskets.  I'd have to make sure before I bought the warranty just to cover that issue.

I know that extended auto warranties don't cover the gaskets alone unless they are collateral damage from a covered isssue.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2007, 10:29:19 AM »

I'm not sure if the extended warranty would cover leaking gaskets.  I'd have to make sure before I bought the warranty just to cover that issue.

I know that extended auto warranties don't cover the gaskets alone unless they are collateral damage from a covered issue.

When I had my engine rebuilt, the wrench called me and told me there would be some small expense on my part for some gaskets that were not covered under the warranty.  Obviously, as a captive audience I agreed to pay the expense for these items, so for him to go ahead and complete the job and I'd cover that cost.  However, when I went to pick the bike up, he said all expenses were indeed covered under the warranty and there was no charge to me. 

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2007, 10:30:36 AM »

I know that extended auto warranties don't cover the gaskets alone unless they are collateral damage from a covered isssue.

You bring up a valid point. I'll check that out!
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2007, 10:32:55 AM »

When I had my engine rebuilt, the wrench called me and told me there would be some small expense on my part for some gaskets that were not covered under the warranty.  Obviously, as a captive audience I agreed to pay the expense for these items, so for him to go ahead and complete the job and I'd cover that cost.  However, when I went to pick the bike up, he said all expenses were indeed covered under the warranty and there was no charge to me. 

Candy, I expect that yours would be covered as they were necessary to complete the covered repair when your bike had its failure.

I doubt that a leaky gasket by itself would be covered if the bike still runs.  And I know they don't cover it running out of oil.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 10:49:07 AM by Rjob749 »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2007, 10:36:52 AM »

Candy, I expect that yours would be covered as they were necessary to complete the covered repair when your bike had its failure.

I doubet that a leaky gasket by itself would be covered if the bike still runs.  And I know they don't cover it running out of oil.
I had a gasket (believe it was a rocker box gasket) go bad on my Fatboy that wasn't covered by extended warranty. I would think a gasket alone would be considered a normal wear/tear item in normal situations.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2007, 11:42:02 AM »

I had a gasket (believe it was a rocker box gasket) go bad on my Fatboy that wasn't covered by extended warranty. I would think a gasket alone would be considered a normal wear/tear item in normal situations.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I am hoping that things will be different for the 110 program since the motors have been plagued by this problem for so long. I can't imagine that anyone that carries over a problem beyond warranty coverage would be denied coverage. It could be argued that since the problem started during the warranty period, any future recurrences are the result of failed fixes and not be judged as unrelated to the original problem.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to wash their hands of the problem on day 731 on ownership. If purchasing an extended warranty, I would work very hard to get written documentation of coverage for current problems that continue into the extended period and beyond. I'm not a warranty expert and don't know if this is possible.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2007, 02:05:24 PM »

I am hoping that things will be different for the 110 program since the motors have been plagued by this problem for so long. I can't imagine that anyone that carries over a problem beyond warranty coverage would be denied coverage. It could be argued that since the problem started during the warranty period, any future recurrences are the result of failed fixes and not be judged as unrelated to the original problem.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to wash their hands of the problem on day 731 on ownership. If purchasing an extended warranty, I would work very hard to get written documentation of coverage for current problems that continue into the extended period and beyond. I'm not a warranty expert and don't know if this is possible.

The reason you stated above is why I added "normal situations". I wouldn't consider the problems associated w/head gaskets on the 110's as "normal situations". So we agree. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2007, 02:09:55 PM »

The reason you stated above is why I added "normal situations". I wouldn't consider the problems associated w/head gaskets on the 110's as "normal situations". So we agree. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Yes, I agree that we agree on the subject that there might have been a question about whether or not we agreed about the given subject.  :2vrolijk_21:

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2007, 03:19:49 PM »

Now I've been known to agree to disagree, will have to see if I can bring this agree to agree language into a meeting soon to see if that works better.

:cherry:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2007, 07:10:03 PM »

I may be way out in left field on this, but I had heard that the Extended Service Plan was run by a third party, not the MoCo.  If that is the case, the fact that H-D didn't permanently fix a defect under the original factory warranty wouldn't cut any ice with the service contract folks.  Your bitch would still be with H-D, not the ESP folks.

If properly documented, your best protection against ongoing failures after the warranty expiration date continues to be the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.  Unfortunately, if H-D decides to take the low road on this issue and just blow you off, you'll have to invest more in attorney fees than the repair would cost.  I'll be watching closely over the next year to see just how the MoCo handles this (the first warranties will be expiring in about 8 months).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2007, 07:36:51 PM »

I may be way out in left field on this, but I had heard that the Extended Service Plan was run by a third party, not the MoCo.  If that is the case, the fact that H-D didn't permanently fix a defect under the original factory warranty wouldn't cut any ice with the service contract folks.  Your bitch would still be with H-D, not the ESP folks.

If properly documented, your best protection against ongoing failures after the warranty expiration date continues to be the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.  Unfortunately, if H-D decides to take the low road on this issue and just blow you off, you'll have to invest more in attorney fees than the repair would cost.  I'll be watching closely over the next year to see just how the MoCo handles this (the first warranties will be expiring in about 8 months).

Jerry
That is correct but the moco sells it and it has the moco's name all over it and does not mention the third party administrator/insurer.  It clearly states that covered items under the 'engine' category include:  barrels and block; base gasket; headgasket.  So I don't think there should be any question that the repairs would be covered.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 20 queries.