Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: When a Jester Loses His Head....  (Read 13252 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: When a Jester Loses His Head....
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2007, 04:00:01 PM »

According to Sumax (I'd asked before) they'll mask off the numbers in the stamping until their final coat is applied to allow the minimal relief in the stamping to still stand out.  Nothing to be done about the sticker on the other side though.  Just for grins I just called the local parts counter and was told that is not something they can get by itself either.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2007, 04:05:08 PM »

Just for grins I just called the local parts counter and was told that is not something they can get by itself either.

That's pretty much what I expected. I guess paint instead of powder coat would be an option. Not as durable, but still an option.

:indian_chief:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2007, 04:09:01 PM »

The short answer is No. Now I'm getting sick. My whole thought process on this was that replacing the frame was just like replacing another part. I can see where I might get screwed on this one now, but like the saying goes, It's too late now.

Does anyone have any information on how that actually works?

Chief,

When I crashed my orange/black 04 SEEG in 2005, (murder/suicide - deer committed suicide, murdered my bike), I inquired about buying the remains from my insurance company -I would have needed to replace the frame.  I also inquired about the title, as they had declared the bike a "total loss".  They told me the criteria for them to total the bike was damage exceeding 50% of the value of the bike, and the criteria for requiring a salvage title was damage exceeding 75% of the value of the bike.  This was Progressive Insurance in Illinois.

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2007, 04:25:52 PM »

That's pretty much what I expected. I guess paint instead of powder coat would be an option. Not as durable, but still an option.

I'm pretty sure this is powdercoat on this frame..

You can see the post/larger picture here.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2007, 05:22:02 PM »

Man....I've got a Milwaukee metal cutting Sawsall I would have LOVED to have dug into that frame!

Here's the look I had when I saw you'd cut the frame into....
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2007, 05:28:35 PM »

In order to get a new frame, I had to cut the neck section out, including the VIN sticker on the left and the stamped VIN on the right. I just mailed the neck section off to the dealer and when they get that, they have to send it in to Harley before a new frame will be sent out. I assume the new frame will come stamped and stickered, just like the original. The left side sticker is just that, a sticker, and not an aluminum plate like we have on the cars.

Thanks for the explanation.  Now I understand the whole process of the head being whacked off.  My mind works pretty slow sometimes.

I agree if you ever were going to do something different with the frame, there is  no better time than now.  A red frame would look great with your custom paint.  May as well have something good come from your accident.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2007, 06:30:32 PM »

Man....I've got a Milwaukee metal cutting Sawsall I would have LOVED to have dug into that frame!

Here's the look I had when I saw you'd cut the frame into....

My anniversary Sawzall went through it like buttah.  ;D

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2007, 06:33:04 PM »

I'm pretty sure this is powdercoat on this frame..

You can see the post/larger picture here.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I do like that look. If I could just figure out how to get the VIN sticker issue cleared up, I may go ahead and do it.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2007, 06:40:59 PM »

I do like that look. If I could just figure out how to get the VIN sticker issue cleared up, I may go ahead and do it.

That bike belongs to pj57 send him a PM maybe he can give you some info on how he did his.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2007, 09:34:11 PM »

With a little bit of heat the sticker will come off intact. It isn't like a registration sticker where it voids itself when peeled. As for the numbers that are stamped, like was mentioned above they (the powder coater) can tape them off. I had mine coated over and they are still visible.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2007, 09:52:38 PM »

With a little bit of heat the sticker will come off intact. It isn't like a registration sticker where it voids itself when peeled. As for the numbers that are stamped, like was mentioned above they (the powder coater) can tape them off. I had mine coated over and they are still visible.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. I'd also want to clean up the messy welds with some grinding and filling. They really don't care about weld splatter when they put these things together.

I'm leaning to paint over powder coat for the perfect match of the color and the touch-up potential over powder coat.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2007, 10:15:46 PM »

The sticker doesn't really mean jack since the VIN is stamped in the neck.  I was worried about the sticker before I bought me SERG, since it was damaged and the VIN is not legible on it, but after realizing the more permanent and official documentation of the VIN is the stamping in the neck, I got over the damaged sticker.

At the end of the day, the sticker could be counterfeited, but the stamped VIN really can't.  I wouldn't loose sleep over eliminating it, if you want the powdercoated frame.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2007, 10:18:32 PM »

If you go the paint route discuss with your painter the different types of clear and which one is more durable.

My Chopper has a painted frame and looks good. The road chips were easily touched up but are noticeable (with the orange). I would probably go with powder coat next time around for the durability.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2007, 11:25:45 PM »

Charlie,

These are great stories to hear. I think everything is going to work out fine. I freaked a bit this morning, but that is Ok. As soon as I get the neck to the dealer a new frame will be on order and I can start turning the pile of parts back into a morotcycle. I'll be glad when that happens as the basement is a pretty depressing place to go now with all the parts strewn from one end to the other.

I've got to get it back together soon so I don't forget all those little details I told myself I'd remember about how it was assembled.

One thing I'm definitely going to do is to take the battery box to a local Line-X dealer and have them shoot the inside bottom so the battery will stop grinding into the metal. Maybe chrome a few brackets in the meantime too, like the horn bracket. Might be time for a chrome rear master cylinder.

If I'm going to do it, might as well be now while it's all apart.

Does anyone have any other little improvements I might consider at this point of disassembly?

Damn Chuck, you're a brave or foolish man.  I think it is the former and you'll get it all back together.  Can't wait to see the finished product.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2007, 11:45:55 PM »

Chuck, hopefully this is the last time you'll be doing this for a long time. If you want to change the frame color, get it powder coated. They can match your paint color with the powder coat. That means you can touch it up anyway when necessary. But it will hold up better powder coated. Leave it alone or powder coat it. From seeing many bikes done both ways over the years, that's MO! ;)

I'm surprised they didn't build your frame, then hold it hostage until you gave them the neck back when you picked up the new frame. I never heard of them asking for it upfront. Sometimes, you even get both for a short time, with the threat of a $5K penalty over your head if it's not returned promptly. They do that with dealers and shops. Maybe not private parties. With your bike apart anyway, it probably didn't effect you either way.

The new paint scheme looks beautiful. Enjoy putting it all back together again. You now have a chance to build your bike properly! Take your time, get it right, and enjoy every minute of it! Good luck man! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.