Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Homeland Security to Unveil New Driver's License Rules  (Read 2914 times)

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
Re: Homeland Security to Unveil New Driver's License Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 11:54:44 AM »

YAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!   It's about time we did this.  I think it should have been done a long time ago.   :)
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 12:34:04 PM »

I don't really have a big issue with it, IF they have systems capable of handling the loads that will be placed on them from the States logging into the system.  It's already an absolute nightmare here to get a DL, if you're getting a new one, and not just renewing.  The Federal systems crash frequently, and people literally spend all day at the DL office trying to get one.  A friend of mine who was getting a DL for her son, spent two days off work trying to get it done.  Maybe they'll get it together better for this undertaking...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 01:11:27 PM »

My biggest concern with this is, who controls the data? They lose info all the time. I don't mind the idea, it's the control of the system that worries me.

About 6 months ago the state of MA released all of the personal information on every electrician in the state, SS#s, license numbers address's, I wasn't even notified I found out on the local news. They never did get the last of the 28 disks the sent out back. 

They need better safe guards on the system and who is able to copy info out of it. One of the 9/11 Hijackers had 4 different licenses on him from 3 different states.

Ed
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 05:02:01 PM »

My biggest concern with this is, who controls the data? They lose info all the time. I don't mind the idea, it's the control of the system that worries me.

About 6 months ago the state of MA released all of the personal information on every electrician in the state, SS#s, license numbers address's, I wasn't even notified I found out on the local news. They never did get the last of the 28 disks the sent out back. 

They need better safe guards on the system and who is able to copy info out of it. One of the 9/11 Hijackers had 4 different licenses on him from 3 different states.

Ed

You hit on one of my major concerns also.  Many of our institutions, both public and private sector, have demonstrated total lack of effective controls over the sharing and dissemination of the sensitive personal information they keep on us.  In the private sector, I've had corporate morons download personnel information onto their laptop (in violation of company rules) and then have the laptop stolen from their car.  In this instance, the company eventually (but not immediately) notified those of us whose records were involved, and we were advised to set up fraud alerts with the various credit agencies.  A couple years later, I had to get a new credit card number because a company failed to secure their computer records and had a few gazillion records stolen.  And this is only the stuff I know about; how many of you really think that every employer, retailer, or government agency that screws up ever lets us know about it?

I know we need an effective identification system in this country, but I have no clue how we will ever come up with one when we have to rely on less than perfect humans to administer the system.  I once thought that biometrics would be the answer, using things like finger print scans or retina scans.  Turns out it's pretty easy to beat those systems also, especially if you aren't too squeamish about cutting off someones finger or popping out their eyeball so you can hold it up to the scanner.  Maybe someone will eventually come up with a fool-proof method to do a brain scan (has to be living, so cutting off a head wouldn't be a viable option for fooling the system).  Of course, that still leaves us with the problem of how to identify certain brain dead folks (sorry about that "Gee Dub-ya")

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 05:13:35 PM »

You hit on one of my major concerns also.  Many of our institutions, both public and private sector, have demonstrated total lack of effective controls over the sharing and dissemination of the sensitive personal information they keep on us.  In the private sector, I've had corporate morons download personnel information onto their laptop (in violation of company rules) and then have the laptop stolen from their car.  In this instance, the company eventually (but not immediately) notified those of us whose records were involved, and we were advised to set up fraud alerts with the various credit agencies.  A couple years later, I had to get a new credit card number because a company failed to secure their computer records and had a few gazillion records stolen.  And this is only the stuff I know about; how many of you really think that every employer, retailer, or government agency that screws up ever lets us know about it?

I know we need an effective identification system in this country, but I have no clue how we will ever come up with one when we have to rely on less than perfect humans to administer the system.  I once thought that biometrics would be the answer, using things like finger print scans or retina scans.  Turns out it's pretty easy to beat those systems also, especially if you aren't too squeamish about cutting off someones finger or popping out their eyeball so you can hold it up to the scanner.  Maybe someone will eventually come up with a fool-proof method to do a brain scan (has to be living, so cutting off a head wouldn't be a viable option for fooling the system).  Of course, that still leaves us with the problem of how to identify certain brain dead folks (sorry about that "Gee Dub-ya")

Jerry

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :drink:

Worries me too, Jerry...The VA hospital, right across the street from my window at work here at UAB, let someone hack in and steal all sorts of medical records...I mean LOTS of them, then waited about 30 days to let people know.  Of course, we all know how efficient/effective our VA system is, and this one is supposed to be one of the best

Could really be a nightmare if all the data they're going to collect on us fell into the wrong hands...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 05:17:52 PM »

Sure records can get stolen & it's not a perfect system.  We do need better ID methodologies in our country, to PREVENT identity theft.  The ACLU will waste a few fortunes trying futilely to defeat this measure, so that in itself is a good thing.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

SnakePlisken

• CVO1: 2008 CVO Springer
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 10:15:36 PM »

Maybe it should be mandated that we get microchips with a GPS in it implanted in our brains so that the government can 'log in' to us and upload/download various subroutines via the internet. Nice. Don't get me wrong I'm all about keeping the 'wets' and that rag - tag group of sheeiiits that don't have a pot to piss in out of our country but it seems to me I kind of sort of have a feeling that things like this are just another step for 'Big Brother' type of activity invading my privacy. Don't mind me I'm a yankee and I support the 'union'; that each individual state within the union controls things like this should be of utmost importance. Let's keep the Feds out of our lives as much as possible.

- Jim

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 10:39:19 PM »

Let's keep the Feds out of our lives as much as possible.

I think it is kinda late for this. 

SnakePlisken

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 10:45:25 PM »

Yea I know friend. Don't mind me. I really like this forum so I'm kinda on fire tonite! But I do believe that whatever we can do to minimize the Fed intrusions into our lives is important.

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 10:48:44 PM »

Yea I know friend. Don't mind me. I really like this forum so I'm kinda on fire tonite! But I do believe that whatever we can do to minimize the Fed intrusions into our lives is important.
I'm on fire tonight too, and I agree with you.  I hate that when you use the metro, there are records of when you got on, where you got off, what time, date etc.  If you buy your tickets online with a credit card, there are records of all this.  There is so much surveillance it is scary. 

SnakePlisken

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 11:02:52 PM »

It kind of makes you wonder because when I was in high school the USSR was still in power and we were all taught that they were very much 'Big Brother.' But it seems to me that we strive very much to surpass that.

- Jim

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 11:04:18 PM »

It kind of makes you wonder because when I was in high school the USSR was still in power and we were all taught that they were very much 'Big Brother.' But it seems to me that we strive very much to surpass that.

- Jim

When you are right, you are right.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 01:14:50 AM »

With an EasyPass, you can get speeding tickets by getting from toll to toll to quickly. They don't know who's driving, so it goes against the tag. But you're still paying! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 07:13:06 AM »

The new driver's licenses are for anyone born after 12/1/64.  I guess anyone older than 43 is no longer a threat.....  You can hide a lot of C4 in a Lark or a walker.  And they can be just as passionate about a cause as a Jihadist, just see this thread.....    http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=19520.0
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 24 queries.