Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: 96/103 in for crank runout  (Read 12743 times)

crewchief25h

96/103 in for crank runout
« on: January 16, 2008, 03:57:14 PM »

Howdy
Dropped off my brother en laws 07 SG for primary chain tightness/vibration. We checked crank runout on the primary side with .038 runout. His is a HD dealer built 103.
Local dealer acted like we were talking a different language to them. They said they never heard of crank runout problems w/ 96's.   We had to take a print out of HD Tech Tip 324 in to them to educate the service manager.  Guess they are in a meeting now as I'm writing this. We'll see how it goes!!!!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: 96/103 in for crank runout
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 04:08:57 PM »

Howdy
Dropped off my brother en laws 07 SG for primary chain tightness/vibration. We checked crank runout on the primary side with .038 runout. His is a HD dealer built 103.
Local dealer acted like we were talking a different language to them. They said they never heard of crank runout problems w/ 96's.   We had to take a print out of HD Tech Tip 324 in to them to educate the service manager.  Guess they are in a meeting now as I'm writing this. We'll see how it goes!!!!

Ridiculous! But then again they are just quoting from the "HD Book of Canned Answers", pg 103-110.  ;D

:indian_chief:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 05:23:29 PM »

Ridiculous! But then again they are just quoting from the "HD Book of Canned Answers", pg 103-110.   ;D

Now Chief that's the funniest thing I've heard all day!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 07:03:42 AM »

Ridiculous! But then again they are just quoting from the "HD Book of Canned Answers", pg 103-110.  ;D

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 11:55:42 AM »

We supply over 20 dealers with performance kits and they have all agreed that the crank issues are a big problem. Most are sending us the case's for timken upgrade and replacing the stock crank with a JIMS/ SE unit and taking care of the customer in the process. For the money involed in fixing a stock unit you are with 300 dollars of getting a forged crank. They do work very well out of the box. I have installed over a dozen of the jims units since last fall and all have been running great. Runout has been under  1 thou on all of them. We have  even re checked several of them and the run out has not increased. Milage wise the highest was 30,000 since the work was done. SO time will tell but it would seem this is the way to go, money wise and time wise as well.  I know that many are caught up in the warranty issue, but really the crank you get as a replacement has a very high chance of being faulty from the start.  Good luck with the dealer and getting them to sort it out. I hope that they will take care of the problem for you. By the way what dealer ship is it?? You can pm me on that if that is what you would rather do. Thanks
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 12:00:34 PM »

We supply over 20 dealers with performance kits and they have all agreed that the crank issues are a big problem. Most are sending us the case's for timken upgrade and replacing the stock crank with a JIMS/ SE unit and taking care of the customer in the process. For the money involed in fixing a stock unit you are with 300 dollars of getting a forged crank. They do work very well out of the box. I have installed over a dozen of the jims units since last fall and all have been running great. Runout has been under  1 thou on all of them. We have  even re checked several of them and the run out has not increased. Milage wise the highest was 30,000 since the work was done. SO time will tell but it would seem this is the way to go, money wise and time wise as well.  I know that many are caught up in the warranty issue, but really the crank you get as a replacement has a very high chance of being faulty from the start.  Good luck with the dealer and getting them to sort it out. I hope that they will take care of the problem for you. By the way what dealer ship is it?? You can pm me on that if that is what you would rather do. Thanks

This might be one of those situations where it would be wise to pay up the extra $$ and get the Jims/SE if you are in for a warranty repair.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 12:04:30 PM »

I like the S&S Forged crank I used for my new 110 (with Timken conversion). It was excellent quality and almost immeasurable runout on the truing stand, right out of the box. It's balanced and trued! About 1200 bucks. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

vagabond6542

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 12:13:09 PM »

Howdy
I pressed my dealership to have it done. It will cost approx. $720.00
It is a sure way to be certain that the stock bottom end is solid.
I had a telcom w/Rusty and came out of it with the knowledge the the pinion side runout is critical.
Sure, if you are into more expenses, follow the other suggestions.

Just my .02.

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 02:08:40 PM »

Recieved some info on my crank runout and cam shoes (14K).  Runout is .007 and shoes a little worn.  Tech est. replacing shoes around $300 incl. labor.  I am considering replacing the crank with the Jims.  Will talk to Zippers tomorrow.  Anyone have advice?
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 02:18:38 PM »

Recieved some info on my crank runout and cam shoes (14K).  Runout is .007 and shoes a little worn.  Tech est. replacing shoes around $300 incl. labor.  I am considering replacing the crank with the Jims.  Will talk to Zippers tomorrow.  Anyone have advice?

You may want to consider an S&S crank.  Howie could provide more details as he just installed one in his cases...

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 07:30:43 PM »

Spoke to Zippers, may go with the 103 muscle kit, still need to purchase the S&S crank.  Like to know where Hoist got his for $1200.  Not sure if worth $ per Torque if choosing the 103 muscle kit vs 575 cams and new S&S crank.  Will compare the numbers when I talk to the dealer.  I am considering having Zippers put the parts together, any comments?  Thanks
2015 FLTRUSE

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 08:12:53 PM »

Spoke to Zippers, may go with the 103 muscle kit, still need to purchase the S&S crank.  Like to know where Hoist got his for $1200.  Not sure if worth $ per Torque if choosing the 103 muscle kit vs 575 cams and new S&S crank.  Will compare the numbers when I talk to the dealer.  I am considering having Zippers put the parts together, any comments?  Thanks

It's not about the $/Tq or HP, it's the quality and reliability too. My S&S Forged crank runout is 0.0005" on the pinion side and 0.0000" on the drive side, on a truing stand. I got mine from my engine builder. There's a night and day difference in that and the HD crank, and I'm not a fan of Jim's. I also modified my cases for the Timken bearing to replace the stock rollers. Numbers aren't everything. Make sure you use the best chit you can. I'm not a fan of Zipper's either. But others have had success with them. Hit or miss. And their customer service is pretty poor. Unless you're near Zipper's, and are bringing them the bike to do the whole job, I'd find a really good local guy you can deal with and discuss it with him. He's standing behind it. If he's any good, he'll ask questions about how you ride, weights, etc. and listen to you to build a motor to suit your needs. If not, he's not the right guy. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

crewchief25h

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 09:10:32 PM »

Dealers ordered a replacement crank. They really didn't seem to receptive to Jim's/SE cranks. They said they needed to use what Harley was sending them. But they are checking the new crank in the truing stand before it goes in.

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 05:59:07 PM »

Decided to correct runout on existing crank (for extended warranty reasons), dealer looking into shops, may end up sending to Jims.

Cheers!
2015 FLTRUSE

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 06:12:47 PM »

When spliting the case to have the Timken conversion done and looking at the other half of the crank the splines were badly worn. Will have to go with a new crank, S&S.  Going to the dealer tomorrow to check things out.  Dealer is asking me about why I had the fueling oil pump installed, my question is would a piece of cam shoe cause the splines to be worn?  (If I have all the motor terms correct.)  I would like to get some of the work covered under the extended warranty and have the S&S crank installed instead of the Harley.  Anyone had this issue?  Comments? Thanks!
2015 FLTRUSE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.