Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  All

Author Topic: The field narrows, McCain, Hillary, Obama.  (Read 12896 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: The field narrows, McCain, Hillary, Obama.
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2008, 01:00:32 PM »

I thinks that's rather obvious..... :-*

:devil:

Yeah, their agenda since that twerp Pinch took over has run them into the ground.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2008, 01:01:54 PM »

And if you really want to hear a down and dirty rumor,

Don's neighbor's son that mows the grass for a higher up at Harley in York heard the exec's wife talking about him getting one of the first 09 Screaming Eagle Road Glides.

A 09 Screaming Eagle Road Glide
Now that gets my vote!

:2vrolijk_21:

A Road Glide CVO again.  Cool. Mowing the grass is a great source these days for rumormongerers.   :huepfenjump3:

Whythehell aren't we speculating more about the 09 CVO's?  :nixweiss:

Is there a thread anywhere on this yet?

There should be.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2008, 01:06:29 PM »

Interesting editorial:

The Real Barack Obama

By: Ronald Kessler

Michelle Obama’s comment that, for the first time in her adult life, she feels proud of America helps crystallize who Barack Obama is.

To be sure, the wife of a candidate is perfectly free to have views that are distinct from her husband’s. But on a matter that is so fundamental to one’s being as love of country, it is difficult to imagine that Michelle Obama would publicly twice make such a statement suggesting disdain for America unless she felt it comported with her husband’s views.

Equally important, her statement aligns perfectly with the hate-America views of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Barack Obama’s minister, friend, and sounding board for more than two decades. On the Sunday following 9/11, Wright characterized the terrorist attacks as a consequence of violent American policies. Four years later, Wright suggested that the attacks were retribution for America’s racism.

“In the 21st century, white America got a wake-up call after 9/11/01,” Wright wrote in his church magazine Trumpet. “White America and the Western world came to realize that people of color had not gone away, faded into the woodwork or just ‘disappeared’ as the Great White West kept on its merry way of ignoring black concerns.”

Wright has been a key supporter of Louis Farrakhan, and in December, honored the Nation of Islam leader for lifetime achievement, saying he “truly epitomize(s) greatness.”

Farrakhan has repeatedly made hate-filled statements targeting Jews, whites, America, and homosexuals.

Those who think two of the closest people to Obama could publicly make anti-America statements unless Obama himself felt that way, are fooling themselves. To date, Obama has proven himself to be nothing more than a great orator, rendering the statements of those around him even more important in illuminating his true character and agenda. During his Senate career, he skipped 17 percent of the votes and sponsored only one bill that became law. That bill was to promote “relief, security, and democracy in the Democratic Republic of Congo.”

Bereft of official accomplishments, Obama has distinguished himself mainly by being against measures that protect American security, such as finishing the mission in Iraq. If we were to leave Iraq quickly, as Obama vows he would do, it would become a launch pad for al-Qaida attacks on the U.S.

Obama avoided voting on extending the Protect America Act, thus putting America at risk when immediate interception of terrorist communications is required. Last August, Obama voted against a measure that would have allowed the U.S. to continue to monitor overseas conversations of terrorists like Osama bin Laden without first obtaining a warrant.

If his radical vote had prevailed, bin Laden would have been given the same rights as Americans.

To this day, Obama has not distanced himself from most of Rev. Wright’s comments. In a statement supposedly issued to address the matter, Obama ignored the point that his minister and friend had spoken adoringly of Farrakhan and that Wright’s church was behind the award to the Nation of Islam leader. Instead, as outlined in a Jan. 17 Newsmax article, he disingenuously claimed he thought the magazine bestowed the award on Farrakhan for his efforts to rehabilitate ex-prisoners.

Neither Wright’s encomiums about Farrakhan nor the Trumpet article mentions ex-prisoners.

Similarly, after John McCain’s wife Cindy responded to Michelle Obama’s remarks by telling a Wisconsin rally, “I have, and always will be, proud of my country,” Barack Obama told a radio interviewer that his wife did not say what people think she said. He then proceeded to rewrite her comments, claiming that she had meant she was encouraged by the “large numbers of people” who have gotten involved in the political process. Michelle Obama then made a similar revision of her remarks.

In her speech in Milwaukee, Michelle Obama said flatly, “For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country, and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change.”

And what has been wrong with America up to now? That it gave Michelle the opportunity to attend Princeton and Harvard Law School? That it gave Barack Obama the chance to attend Harvard and Harvard Law School and become a U.S. senator making more than $1 million a year from book royalties?

Was it that America stopped Nazi Germany from continuing to murder millions of Jews? That America has provided Africa and other countries with $15 billion to combat the spread of AIDS/HIV and that another $30 billion is on the way? That 46 percent of all Americans classified by the Census Bureau as poor own their own homes, 76 percent of them have air conditioning, and 75 percent of them have at least one car? Or that America allows us to express our views freely without fear of being put in jail, as is the case in Russia?

A lawyer, Michelle Obama is perfectly capable of expressing herself precisely. In fact, she spoke from a written speech.

Those who do not want to believe she meant what she said — and that Barack Obama could not be so close to Rev. Wright if he did not himself believe in much of what he has said — are in denial.

The real Barack Obama is starting to emerge, and for those of us who are grateful to America for everything it represents, it is not a pretty sight.

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2008, 01:07:54 PM »

A Road Glide CVO again.  Cool. Mowing the grass is a great source these days for rumormongerers.   :huepfenjump3:

Whythehell aren't we speculating more about the 09 CVO's:nixweiss:

Is there a thread anywhere on this yet?

There should be.

We are still worrying about getting Cybil running first.
Priorities man priorities!
It's another 6 months till the 09's are out.
Cybil needs to get done first, then we can talk about the 09's!

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2008, 01:12:07 PM »

We are still worrying about getting Cybil running first.
Priorities man priorities!
It's another 6 months till the 09's are out.
Cybil needs to get done first, then we can talk about the 09's!

Cybil will be running before the 09's are out?

Is there a line in Vegas on this yet?

:nixweiss:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »

Cybil will be running before the 09's are out?

Is there a line in Vegas on this yet?

:nixweiss:

There is 60K riding on that answer!

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2008, 03:22:08 PM »

And if you really want to hear a down and dirty rumor,

Don's neighbor's son that mows the grass for a higher up at Harley in York heard the exec's wife talking about him getting one of the first 09 Screaming Eagle Road Glides.

A 09 Screaming Eagle Road Glide
Now that gets my vote!

That's right!  It'll be the first Harley to come OE with a trailer hitch installed.  Behind it will be a little aluminum trailer with the new SE Servicar accompanying.  I'm so excited I almost wizzed myself!

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2008, 03:27:56 PM »

Interesting editorial:

The Real Barack Obama

By: Ronald Kessler

Michelle Obama’s comment that, for the first time in her adult life, she feels proud of America helps crystallize who Barack Obama is.

To be sure, the wife of a candidate is perfectly free to have views that are distinct from her husband’s. But on a matter that is so fundamental to one’s being as love of country, it is difficult to imagine that Michelle Obama would publicly twice make such a statement suggesting disdain for America unless she felt it comported with her husband’s views.

Equally important, her statement aligns perfectly with the hate-America views of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Barack Obama’s minister, friend, and sounding board for more than two decades. On the Sunday following 9/11, Wright characterized the terrorist attacks as a consequence of violent American policies. Four years later, Wright suggested that the attacks were retribution for America’s racism.

“In the 21st century, white America got a wake-up call after 9/11/01,” Wright wrote in his church magazine Trumpet. “White America and the Western world came to realize that people of color had not gone away, faded into the woodwork or just ‘disappeared’ as the Great White West kept on its merry way of ignoring black concerns.”

Wright has been a key supporter of Louis Farrakhan, and in December, honored the Nation of Islam leader for lifetime achievement, saying he “truly epitomize(s) greatness.”

Farrakhan has repeatedly made hate-filled statements targeting Jews, whites, America, and homosexuals.

Those who think two of the closest people to Obama could publicly make anti-America statements unless Obama himself felt that way, are fooling themselves. To date, Obama has proven himself to be nothing more than a great orator, rendering the statements of those around him even more important in illuminating his true character and agenda. During his Senate career, he skipped 17 percent of the votes and sponsored only one bill that became law. That bill was to promote “relief, security, and democracy in the Democratic Republic of Congo.”

Bereft of official accomplishments, Obama has distinguished himself mainly by being against measures that protect American security, such as finishing the mission in Iraq. If we were to leave Iraq quickly, as Obama vows he would do, it would become a launch pad for al-Qaida attacks on the U.S.

Obama avoided voting on extending the Protect America Act, thus putting America at risk when immediate interception of terrorist communications is required. Last August, Obama voted against a measure that would have allowed the U.S. to continue to monitor overseas conversations of terrorists like Osama bin Laden without first obtaining a warrant.

If his radical vote had prevailed, bin Laden would have been given the same rights as Americans.

To this day, Obama has not distanced himself from most of Rev. Wright’s comments. In a statement supposedly issued to address the matter, Obama ignored the point that his minister and friend had spoken adoringly of Farrakhan and that Wright’s church was behind the award to the Nation of Islam leader. Instead, as outlined in a Jan. 17 Newsmax article, he disingenuously claimed he thought the magazine bestowed the award on Farrakhan for his efforts to rehabilitate ex-prisoners.

Neither Wright’s encomiums about Farrakhan nor the Trumpet article mentions ex-prisoners.

Similarly, after John McCain’s wife Cindy responded to Michelle Obama’s remarks by telling a Wisconsin rally, “I have, and always will be, proud of my country,” Barack Obama told a radio interviewer that his wife did not say what people think she said. He then proceeded to rewrite her comments, claiming that she had meant she was encouraged by the “large numbers of people” who have gotten involved in the political process. Michelle Obama then made a similar revision of her remarks.

In her speech in Milwaukee, Michelle Obama said flatly, “For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country, and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change.”

And what has been wrong with America up to now? That it gave Michelle the opportunity to attend Princeton and Harvard Law School? That it gave Barack Obama the chance to attend Harvard and Harvard Law School and become a U.S. senator making more than $1 million a year from book royalties?

Was it that America stopped Nazi Germany from continuing to murder millions of Jews? That America has provided Africa and other countries with $15 billion to combat the spread of AIDS/HIV and that another $30 billion is on the way? That 46 percent of all Americans classified by the Census Bureau as poor own their own homes, 76 percent of them have air conditioning, and 75 percent of them have at least one car? Or that America allows us to express our views freely without fear of being put in jail, as is the case in Russia?

A lawyer, Michelle Obama is perfectly capable of expressing herself precisely. In fact, she spoke from a written speech.

Those who do not want to believe she meant what she said — and that Barack Obama could not be so close to Rev. Wright if he did not himself believe in much of what he has said — are in denial.

The real Barack Obama is starting to emerge, and for those of us who are grateful to America for everything it represents, it is not a pretty sight.

Ain't it the truth?  None are so blind, as those who will not see.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2008, 03:46:19 PM »

Unfortunately, like I stated in an earlier post...that pertains to about 95% of the politicians on the hill...money (the old PAC fund contributions) has no party line...they lobbyists run the government...and you're right, it definitely impacts you and me a great deal.

It is just part and parcel of the environment RD.  Unavoidable in many circumstances.  There is a difference between cozy and COZY though.  Senator McCain has at times straddled the line between the two more than I personally care for.  You know someone on the outside has too much credence on the inside when a freelance speechwriter finds out words are being vetted through lobbyists rather than AA or candidate.  That's apparently happened in McCain's world.

He's just not a candidate that gives me warm fuzzies for the job he's after.  Not speaking at all to his status in our national history.  He was literally at the center of the conflagration on the Forrestal, everyone knows of is POW status, the man still can't put on a t-shirt easily or without a little help because of his mistreatment in Hanoi, he's served in the legislature for years.  I've got no problem readily admitting his life has been heroic and worthy of the praise of Americans.  Those things don't mean he's necessarily a choice to be next POTUS though.

His age really has to be considered.  I'm never wild about a candidate for the job that forces me to have consider the VP choice every bit as thoroughly as the lead candidate.  It would be no surprise to anyone if a McCain presidency didn't survive two terms.  That and his legislative history just don't make him my ideal candidate.  Things separate from other parts of his life's service to the country.  For the job he's running for now, however, no one gets a free pass.  Even if they were a bona fide hero four decades ago.

BigR55

« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2008, 04:13:43 PM »

McCain should explain this video by Roy Beck from Numbers USA:

www.numbersusa.com/video/?origin=e

What he has done concerning the NYT story has about as much importance as the steroids case and what Spears is doing today.

He will receive my vote because he is the only one qualified to deal with the NEXT terrorist attack. Maybe Huckabee can team up and change his liberal immigration position.  :-\

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2008, 07:11:51 PM »

Don a Republican!  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

Hmmmmmmmm that Chief of Staff job is looking very good!

I want the Chairman of the Federal Reserve job!

Hubbard Pres!
Otis      VP
Don  Chief of Staff

Has a nice ring to it!

I'll take SECDEF   Some of you who think I lean a little too left might be surprised with the way I'd run things

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2008, 08:33:55 PM »

It is just part and parcel of the environment RD.  Unavoidable in many circumstances.  There is a difference between cozy and COZY though.  Senator McCain has at times straddled the line between the two more than I personally care for.  You know someone on the outside has too much credence on the inside when a freelance speechwriter finds out words are being vetted through lobbyists rather than AA or candidate.  That's apparently happened in McCain's world.

He's just not a candidate that gives me warm fuzzies for the job he's after.  Not speaking at all to his status in our national history.  He was literally at the center of the conflagration on the Forrestal, everyone knows of is POW status, the man still can't put on a t-shirt easily or without a little help because of his mistreatment in Hanoi, he's served in the legislature for years.  I've got no problem readily admitting his life has been heroic and worthy of the praise of Americans.  Those things don't mean he's necessarily a choice to be next POTUS though.

His age really has to be considered.  I'm never wild about a candidate for the job that forces me to have consider the VP choice every bit as thoroughly as the lead candidate.  It would be no surprise to anyone if a McCain presidency didn't survive two terms.  That and his legislative history just don't make him my ideal candidate.  Things separate from other parts of his life's service to the country.  For the job he's running for now, however, no one gets a free pass.  Even if they were a bona fide hero four decades ago.

Don,
I couldn't agree more with what you've said...unfortunately, I think we're going to be faced with voting for the lesser of two evils, so to speak.  I definitely don't agree with everything McCain had done since he's been a legislator, and no one will question his heroism or loyalty to this country, but you're right, that doesn't qualify him for POTUS.  But given the other two choices right now, I still have to go with the OWG and hopefully, he'll pick a good running mate.

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »

Don,
I couldn't agree more with what you've said...unfortunately, I think we're going to be faced with voting for the lesser of two evils, so to speak.  I definitely don't agree with everything McCain had done since he's been a legislator, and no one will question his heroism or loyalty to this country, but you're right, that doesn't qualify him for POTUS.  But given the other two choices right now, I still have to go with the OWG and hopefully, he'll pick a good running mate.

History sure does seems repetitive now doesn't it  :wall: There have been many previous election cycles whose retoric appears very similar to what is heard today. We need to break the cycle before we go down the  :toilet: Or we can just  :beerchug: and hope for the best!!  ;)    :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2008, 09:40:43 PM »

Don,

It is hard to get excited this time.  Guess that only means studying the choices even more important. 

I always tend to vote for the executive based on int'l and security issues primarily and legislators more for their domestic positions.  Rather presidents like to admit it or not the Congress can go a long way toward strangling the domestic agenda whenever it pleases.  So I do primary research accordingly.

Executives get watched for likely staff choices too.  At least when there is a choice to be made.  Those senior west wing staff jobs do a lot more than mere policy guidance and much of future choices can be divined by getting a handle on who will be staffing where.  That was even strongly the case when Bush Sr was VP and with Cheney as the VP staffs have been active with both administrations.

Just a guess of course but I'd expect a McCain VP to be a more classic VP.  Functionary dressing until the old man strokes out some day.  His own words on why he'd not accept the VP's job only reinforce that.  But his VP choice will still be significant.  And damn if there's a clue out there about who it would really be now.

My pool money on the other side has Obama picking Sebelius right now.  Even though Senators almost never pick running mates from outside the Senate he's not been there too long yet.  And picking Sebelius maintains the distaff interest and blunts their disappointment if Senator Clinton does end up losing.  My #2 choice in that poll is real dark horse though.  Patrick Kennedy.  Lots of history to be played there.

McCain I'm just clueless on though.  Just saw a wire article late this afternoon about him taking flak for having lobbyists so heavily involved in campaign management.  More of the same....  All the "rebel" tag notwithstanding he's still become a creature of the Senate over the years.  A friend has money on him totally blowing off the harder right GOP base and trying to steal a lot of democrats by asking Bill Richardson.  I actually like Richardson on many things.  But it's not a choice I'd foresee.  Who knows.  That's why it's called the silly season....

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2008, 09:45:53 PM »

Okay, here's the thing. The last time we had a POTUS who was a man of courage, integrity and faith was Jimmy Carter and we all know what a crappy POTUS he was. Probably the most decent moral man ever to hold the office, but a crappy POTUS. I fear the same with McCain

BUT

Obama is a creation of the DNC, elected to the Senate at the right juncture in history so as to not have voted for anything of any substance to establish any pattern or record to decide on. He is greener than a new dollar bill and I fear that even more

B B
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  All

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 22 queries.