Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: What scooters do the ladies ride?  (Read 27770 times)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: What scooters do the ladies ride?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 01:35:39 PM »

I'd like to resurrect this thread.  My wife and I are looking at a used 883 custom at the local Triumph dealer.  It has locking bags, a wind shield and sissy bar installed.  It's 3 years old and only has 3,700 miles.  We can get it for a little over $6,000.  I thought it was a good starter for her.  She doesn't have her license or permit yet and will likely take the NY DOT course this summer.  She was intimidated by the weight of the 883.  I was surprised by that comment until reading this thread.  What have others started with?  Now I'm leaning toward the Deluxe......
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2008, 01:40:16 PM »

I'd like to resurrect this thread.  My wife and I are looking at a used 883 custom at the local Triumph dealer.  It has locking bags, a wind shield and sissy bar installed.  It's 3 years old and only has 3,700 miles.  We can get it for a little over $6,000.  I thought it was a good starter for her.  She doesn't have her license or permit yet and will likely take the NY DOT course this summer.  She was intimidated by the weight of the 883.  I was surprised by that comment until reading this thread.  What have others started with?  Now I'm leaning toward the Deluxe......

Have known more than a few women who in comparison didn't care for the Sporties.  While overall weight may not have been the comparative problem the top heavyness of their weight did seem to be.  In the Harley line the Lowriders seem like an obvious consideration.  Outside the Harley line something like one of the midsized Vulcans could also be a fair consideration.

Vags SO

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • ~The Sky is Crying~
    • judesjujus.com
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2008, 02:02:03 PM »

Okay...I ride a V Star 1300 Yamaha and put over 11,000 miles on it the first year.
I think Vagabond is replying to this too, LOL... :bananarock:

vagabond6542

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2008, 02:03:19 PM »

Have known more than a few women who in comparison didn't care for the Sporties.  While overall weight may not have been the comparative problem the top heavyness of their weight did seem to be.  In the Harley line the Lowriders seem like an obvious consideration.  Outside the Harley line something like one of the midsized Vulcans could also be a fair consideration.

I started Vags SO/Judy out with Honda's 750 Shadow Aero.  It took time after going through two motorcycle courses and some personal instruction for her to get the hang of riding. She is only 5' 3.5" and can flatfoot the Honda.  February of 07, I upgraded her to a Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer, which she can just flatfoot. And she rides it very well.  Now she threating me to take away my 07 CVO CUSE2 and ride it. And she is like me, about a third to half flatfoot on the already lowered CVO. To get your lady to ride, she needs the confidence to handle anything that she can put her behind on.

Just my .02

Vags SO

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • ~The Sky is Crying~
    • judesjujus.com
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2008, 02:05:41 PM »

Yeah...I'm gonna ride your Harley..hahaha :bananarock:

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2008, 04:45:53 PM »

I just got my first bike in Oct. after taking the Harley riding course. I had thought to get a sportster for my first bike, but couldn't find one that I liked. My problem was that I had seen the FXDSE2 and fell in love. Finally decided that I wouldn't be happy with anything else, so I bought it. I am 5' 5.5" and 140 lbs. and don't have any problems riding it. I did spend about 2 weeks practicing in a large vacant parking lot before taking it out on the road. I also had the engine guard installed, for now, in case I should drop it (shudder).
Member 4721
FXDSE2-Candy Cobalt/Midnight Blue

Jim

• Full CVO Member
  • One Day At A Time
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2008, 09:50:03 PM »

My wife Jody started out with an 883 while doing the Harley Davidson program and after she got her license she upgraded to a 2003 Dyna Lowrider with forward controls added. I have to tell you from riding both bikes the Dyna is so much easier to ride. You actually feel like you are sitting in the bike instead of on top of it. In my opinion it is a much easier bike to ride than the 883 or 1200.

Jim
SE A/f
SE Mufflers
SE Race Tuner

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 10:15:12 PM »

My wife rides an 06 1200 Low and loves it , she put on 19K in almost 2 years.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2008, 10:44:01 PM »

My lady's been riding for less than a year. For her first bike she picked a 07 Road King Custom. She's 5'11" (taller than me) and on the thin side but she handles it beautifully. She's still working on her skills but I have every confidence in her.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2008, 08:03:23 AM »

My lil woman has a 06 fxdli in dragonfly green n black...She is 5'0 and 100 lbs or so.
She took the mti class on a 250 sumtin on a dare from me (bad move on my part) and went shopping on her own.
I did not want to influence her...The rice store ignored her when she went in and she said they all were ugly anyway.

She saw the green dyna and it called to her..
She only dropped it once in a lot with no damage, other than that she rode a bit before she got sickly with the MS.
I had it out Sunday, it is a fun bike to ride it runs strong with  RH 2-1, big sukka.

I try to keep her up about getting back on, she is trying to improve her core strength with working out and I hope she gets back to riding it someday before it is too late.

Miker

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2008, 08:13:40 AM »

My lil woman has a 06 fxdli in dragonfly green n black...She is 5'0 and 100 lbs or so.
She took the mti class on a 250 sumtin on a dare from me (bad move on my part) and went shopping on her own.
I did not want to influence her...The rice store ignored her when she went in and she said they all were ugly anyway.

She saw the green dyna and it called to her..
She only dropped it once in a lot with no damage, other than that she rode a bit before she got sickly with the MS.
I had it out Sunday, it is a fun bike to ride it runs strong with  RH 2-1, big sukka.

I try to keep her up about getting back on, she is trying to improve her core strength with working out and I hope she gets back to riding it someday before it is too late.

Miker

Miker, thanks for the post.  1st, sorry about your wife's illness.  I hope she gets many more years out of the Dyna.  I know the progression of MS is debilitating.  I remember the Dragonfly green and black.  That was a limited edition color in 06 and looked FANTASTIC on the FLH line.  My wife is pretty nervous about riding.  I told her to get off the fence and decide whether she's "all in" or "all out".  The used 883 might be a good start.  We really won't be out anything if we had to sell it.  I'll show her this thread and have her decide for herself.  I think she's also intimidated by the increased power of the 88 and 96.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2008, 08:26:51 AM »

My wife took the MOCO learn to ride course on a Buell and failed the 1st time.  Bought her a used Suzuki 250 which she put about 1000 miles on and retook the MOCO course and passed.  Started looking at a Lowrider as we assumed it was HD's lowest bike.  Found the Deluxe and Fatboy much more to her liking at 5'8".  She has put about 7,000 miles on an 03 Fatboy.  After putting on a Corbin solo seat and changing to a narrower handlebar with a little more pullback, it fits her well.
Like 2 Lane stated, a lot of people have started on a Sporster but they seem top heavy with a high center of gravity.  Everyone's situation is different.  Another good bike to try out is a Yamaha 650 Vstar.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2008, 08:31:15 AM »

Thanks, things are how they are bro...

I think the class and controlled riding practice on the little bikes gave her the confidence she needed, I reccomend it to anyone starting out...mtii.com , I think.

She got the pressure from the salehole for a sporty but they are a little heavier at the top, she found that to be true for her...The fxdl fit my wife ok with the stock seat, we put a narrow ass little "reach" seat she fits flat footed.  

I supported her for the "big kids bike" because I could ride it too and I dug the green color change and black!
I have another friend who is small and she found a 883 low, she is very happy with it.
I'll post a pic of it later, I don't have one on this machine...Thanks again for the kind thoughts

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2008, 08:32:53 AM »

Oh, she loved the deluxe and heritage but the fl front end was too heavy for her.  It was a bit lower as I recall too.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2008, 08:38:15 AM »

jgeorge102

My daughter rides too. She's 5 ft and 110 lbs. She started on an Anniver 883 which she had lowered. She thought the other Harley's would be too big. She rode it for less than a year when she started tossing her leg over my FatBoy. Now I can't get her off!  :D However, she will not let the sporty go.

FWIW   JW

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.