Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 72

Author Topic: Gas price!!!!!!!! OUCH.  (Read 65439 times)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: Gas price!!!!!!!! OUCH.
« Reply #675 on: June 27, 2008, 10:34:51 AM »

That's because we drive the good looking Fords.

Isn't that an oxymoron?   :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

outrider

• yet another reclusive recalcitrant pundit
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHP
« Reply #676 on: June 27, 2008, 12:37:17 PM »

Gas could fall to $2 if Congress acts, analysts say
Limiting speculation would push prices to fundamental level, lawmakers told
By Rex Nutting & Michael Kitchen, MarketWatch

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- The price of retail gasoline could fall by half, to around $2 a gallon, within 30 days of passage of a law to limit speculation in energy-futures markets, four energy analysts told Congress on Monday. Testifying to the House Energy and Commerce Committee, Michael Masters of Masters Capital Management said that the price of oil would quickly drop closer to its marginal cost of around $65 to $75 a barrel, about half the current $135. Fadel Gheit of Oppenheimer & Co., Edward Krapels of Energy Security Analysis and Roger Diwan of PFC Energy Consultants agreed with Masters' assessment at a hearing on proposed legislation to limit speculation in futures markets. Krapels said that it wouldn't even take 30 days to drive prices lower, as fund managers quickly liquidated their positions in futures markets. "Record oil prices are inflated by speculation and not justified by market fundamentals," according to Gheit. "Based on supply and demand fundamentals, crude-oil prices should not be above $60 per barrel."

and evil monkeys could fly out of my butt, circle the globe and land on my shoulder, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. I think bureaucratic control of private resources is a bad idea...
Let the lamp affix its beam, the only emperor is the emperor of ice cream.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #677 on: June 27, 2008, 12:50:37 PM »

I just filled up the F250. 498 miles = 31.41 gal @ $4.69 = $147.60 = 15.9 mpg. OUCH!!!

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #678 on: June 27, 2008, 01:03:12 PM »

At an exchange rate of $1.89  i calculate your purchase in uk prices $9.45  us gall  want to join our club. >:( >:(
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #679 on: June 27, 2008, 01:31:17 PM »

From some of the comments referring to my post from Marketwatch yesterday, I get the feeling some didn't quite understand what those folks were saying.  They weren't talking about regulating the price for gasoline, they were talking about regulating the speculators who have bid the prices of oil up on the futures markets to roughly double what those prices should be if you just look at supply and demand.  These aren't the normal commodities traders who've been in the market forever, these are the fast buck artists who are screwing us over to line their pockets.  They don't produce oil, they don't refine oil, they don't transport oil, they don't touch oil, they probably wouldn't know oil if they slipped and fell in it. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BadDawg

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #680 on: June 27, 2008, 02:17:05 PM »

I understood what you were saying.  I just am very leary of letting government take control or regulating anything.  If they start saying who can invest in the stock marker and how much look out!   Everyone in the country will be screwed.
2000 SE Roadglide
1995 Nostalgia

The only mark you'll make in life is on your shorts.

BadDawg

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #681 on: June 27, 2008, 02:19:12 PM »

How to help the economy.

OPEC sells oil for $136.00 a barrel.
OPEC nations buy U.S. grain at $7.00 a bushel.
Solution: Sell grain for $136.00 a bushel.
Can't buy it?  Tough!   Eat your oil!
Ought to go well with a nice thick grilled filet of camel ass!!!
2000 SE Roadglide
1995 Nostalgia

The only mark you'll make in life is on your shorts.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #682 on: June 27, 2008, 02:43:26 PM »

From some of the comments referring to my post from Marketwatch yesterday, I get the feeling some didn't quite understand what those folks were saying.  They weren't talking about regulating the price for gasoline, they were talking about regulating the speculators who have bid the prices of oil up on the futures markets to roughly double what those prices should be if you just look at supply and demand.  These aren't the normal commodities traders who've been in the market forever, these are the fast buck artists who are screwing us over to line their pockets.  They don't produce oil, they don't refine oil, they don't transport oil, they don't touch oil, they probably wouldn't know oil if they slipped and fell in it. 

Jerry

Yes, you were right on the attempt to regulate speculation by increasing the normal 10% margin on futures purchases.  The rest is dead wrong, pardon the expression "speculative" and obviously uninformed.  No, futures traders did not "double" what the price should have been.  The market did.  It falls under the general heading of capitalism.  If you will research the firms and locations purchasing significant dollar amounts of oil futures, you will find that the vast majority are foreign investors seeking to  fill future contracts for their clients in their respective countries.  That's their job, it's what they do.  If you've had any experience in commodities, the term "fast buck artists" wouldn't apply.  Nowhere, is there a riskier business than international commodities and the "fast buck artists" jump in as a result of a "brilliant idea", wreck, and go home and whine.  As they say, if you can't piss with the big dogs...stay on the porch.

As far as commodities traders not knowing anything about oil....wrong.....if they've managed to  stay afloat over 24 hours.  It's really not as easy to research and forecast a futures market as the dem's on MSNBC would lead you to believe.  Big or small it is high risk beyond all reasonable expectations.  I deal in oil futures as well as corn, soybeans, beef,  pork and occasionally the rice  market.  Yup, I do know a little something about oil from the rigs to the money players allowing you a seat at the table.  I like to think I know enough about the other markets to make wise decisions as well.  As you might expect, corn and soybeans will make a bundle, but I promise that I or anyone I  know in the marketplace didn't cause the floods that are skyrocketing prices.

The best way to really learn if the "speculators" are driving up the market is to gather up your life savings,  mortgage the house and jump in for some of that quick oil money.  Let us know in a couple of weeks where you stand.

BigR55

« Reply #683 on: June 27, 2008, 05:53:21 PM »

32K Scooter

Fess up BigR55
32 was just the initial cost!

:2vrolijk_21:

Yea Silver, I think that was the initial kit price! ;)

outrider

• yet another reclusive recalcitrant pundit
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHP
« Reply #684 on: June 27, 2008, 07:17:01 PM »

Jerry
I can't speak for everyone Jerry, but I get the idea. My issue with that is that govt regulation is govt' regulation, whether its regulating foreign trade, interstate trade, or speculative ventures...they still do a really bad job of it for a myriad of reasons...and it's always expensive to implement and maintain...and almost always...somehow the "big fish" get away, leaving the little fish (i.e. the middle class tax payer) on the hook for it all.
Case in point, about two weeks ago an apparent suicide takes place on the Bear Mtn Bridge. No big deal...its a popular spot for that sort of thing...It turns out to be a guy by the name of Israel (last name) who was ordered by a NewYork State Supreme Court Judge to "turn himself in" in Massachusetts for embezzling 600 million in hedge funds. Turns out, he left his car on the bridge, and got a ride (probably to an awaiting private jet), and skipped out leaving alot of working class people in the lurch. He will have to forfit the $75k the New York Judge set as his bail though... ??? 
My opinion...less government is almost always better, and is always cheaper for us tax paying citizens.
Let the lamp affix its beam, the only emperor is the emperor of ice cream.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #685 on: June 27, 2008, 10:58:32 PM »

I can't speak for everyone Jerry, but I get the idea. My issue with that is that govt regulation is govt' regulation, whether its regulating foreign trade, interstate trade, or speculative ventures...they still do a really bad job of it for a myriad of reasons...and it's always expensive to implement and maintain...and almost always...somehow the "big fish" get away, leaving the little fish (i.e. the middle class tax payer) on the hook for it all.
Case in point, about two weeks ago an apparent suicide takes place on the Bear Mtn Bridge. No big deal...its a popular spot for that sort of thing...It turns out to be a guy by the name of Israel (last name) who was ordered by a NewYork State Supreme Court Judge to "turn himself in" in Massachusetts for embezzling 600 million in hedge funds. Turns out, he left his car on the bridge, and got a ride (probably to an awaiting private jet), and skipped out leaving alot of working class people in the lurch. He will have to forfit the $75k the New York Judge set as his bail though... ??? 
My opinion...less government is almost always better, and is always cheaper for us tax paying citizens.
except when it comes to the phone compony.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

vagabond6542

« Reply #686 on: July 02, 2008, 12:19:05 PM »

Yea Silver, I think that was the initial kit price! ;)

Cheez, You got off cheap. 34 for mine. And I am starting to buy OCD tools for it.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #687 on: July 02, 2008, 12:25:23 PM »

We are going to have an NBA team.......how about Washington? :D ;D
What a shot. But have ya seen there record!!!!!!! :nixweiss:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #688 on: July 02, 2008, 12:30:17 PM »

Cheez, You got off cheap. 34 for mine. And I am starting to buy OCD tools for it.

Now George, you know that these things are like joining a country club...the 34k was just the initiation fee, you get the bike, that's it, then you will have to spend a certain minimum every year until you get sick of it...
Just like eating at the clubhouse dining room.   :P

vagabond6542

« Reply #689 on: July 02, 2008, 01:00:42 PM »

Now George, you know that these things are like joining a country club...the 34k was just the initiation fee, you get the bike, that's it, then you will have to spend a certain minimum every year until you get sick of it...
Just like eating at the clubhouse dining room.   :P

I'll never get sick of eating at the clubhouse. There is too much fun in riding. And it it's economical as well.
Approx 40 mpg. :huepfenjump3: :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 72

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.