Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Tools, the obscure and the unforeseen  (Read 5785 times)

SPIDERMAN

Tools, the obscure and the unforeseen
« on: April 25, 2008, 03:20:07 PM »

The purpose of this thread is to give some folks who'd like to work on their own motorcycles some insight as to tools they should invest in,  in addition to the basics. What I'd like to do is have anyone who reads this and works on their own ride post a tool that you don't realize you need until you're either at the point of no return, or after you've bought parts thinking " this looks simple enough "

I'll start with one that never ceases to bust Beagle and my chops

To replace brake pads you need a 1/4" 12 point socket. This fits the pins that hold the pads in place in the calipoers. A standard set of
Snap-On 12 point sockets does not go down to 1/4" so I would expect that Craftsman or other brands don't as well. Since the sucker is so small and doesn't have a home so to speak in the socket organizer, it is forever getting lost. I've taken to keeping mine on top of my roll top desk in a change organizer so I know where it is when I need it. Used it the other day to replace the stock caliper hardware with Chrome Gardner-Wescott.

B B 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Tools, the obscure and the unforeseen
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 03:55:36 PM »

Good idea for a thread Brian.  I had an item I was going to post, and as soon as I hit the "Reply" button the idea somehow faded away.  I would blame "old timers", but my wife would tell you (truthfully) that I've had that problem my entire life.

Well, since I'm sitting here feeling foolish, I'll just comment on your item.  My 12 point 1/4" socket came in a small set of 1/4" drive Craftsman sockets in a plastic box that I've owned about 35 years.  I just add a 3/8 to 1/4 drive adapter to make it fit my small torque wrench.  You can still buy an individual 12 point 1/4" deep well socket from Craftsman, but it's also just 1/4" drive.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950612000P?vName=Tools&cName=Hand+Tools%2C+General+Purpose&sName=Sockets&filter=Drive+Size%7C1%2F4+in.%5EContact+Points%7C12+point%5ESize+Type%7CStandard

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 03:58:04 PM »

I was going to add the "jaws" oil filter wrench from Harley but couldn't find a picture. They've got a strap thing now. Don't know if it will pass the crank sensor.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 05:14:09 PM »

The purpose of this thread is to give some folks who'd like to work on their own motorcycles some insight as to tools they should invest in,  in addition to the basics. What I'd like to do is have anyone who reads this and works on their own ride post a tool that you don't realize you need until you're either at the point of no return, or after you've bought parts thinking " this looks simple enough "

I'll start with one that never ceases to bust Beagle and my chops

To replace brake pads you need a 1/4" 12 point socket. This fits the pins that hold the pads in place in the calipers. A standard set of
Snap-On 12 point sockets does not go down to 1/4" so I would expect that Craftsman or other brands don't as well. Since the sucker is so small and doesn't have a home so to speak in the socket organizer, it is forever getting lost. I've taken to keeping mine on top of my roll top desk in a change organizer so I know where it is when I need it. Used it the other day to replace the stock caliper hardware with Chrome Gardner-Wescott.

B B 

WRONG ANWSER!!!! They do come in 1/4 12 point. So does Mac, Matco, and Craftsman. I have a few. Long and short and swivel. I have 12 point everything on my bike. Gardner-wescott to boot!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 06:21:28 PM »

WRONG ANWSER!!!! They do come in 1/4 12 point. So does Mac, Matco, and Craftsman. I have a few. Long and short and swivel. I have 12 point everything on my bike. Gardner-wescott to boot!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Not sure what it is you're saying wrong answer to DAWG. ?????????  I said you could get them but not as part of the set. I should have clarified that to mean not as part of a 3/8" drive set, but this thread is intended for people not all that familiar with tools. How many guys you know that don't wrench that have anything more than a small set of 3/8" drive sockets. Also, what's up with the upper case post ?  I-net courtesy says that means you're yelling for some reason. Chill dude

B B

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 07:25:08 PM »

B B I am chillin as we speak! I also stand corrected. The 1/4 12 point socket is in 1/4 inch drive. I am sure you can get it in 3/8 but it would have to ordered. The TQ on the 1/4 - 20's are 20 inch pounds. A 3/8 ratchet would strip the aluminum in the case. So IMHO I would not use a 3/8's ratchet on these.

Not yelling just bad grammar!!!!!LOL :orange: It's all good I promise.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 10:18:49 PM »

Just a quick note, our bikes have a lot of torx bolts in differrent sizes.  A great # of them are the T-27 even though you could very easily fit a T-25 and it might even work till you put some force behind it and.....strip.  So, make sure is the T-27 torx you use, or you might find your self purchasing more tools.  Bolt extracor set.   Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

REGGAB

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 10:35:55 PM »

HD has a 36mm axle nut TQ adapter.  Some here have said their stealer(s) will sell it.  I haven't found one that will sell it.  Alternative is the KASTAR 9636, which is a great tool.................if you are running stock shocks or shocks that have lower eyebolts the same size as stock.  Bitubos, and I believe Legends, have lower eyebolts which are larger than stock, thus KASTAR 9636 will not fit over the rear axle nut.  I'm pretty sure that means the HD TQ adapter will not fit that application either.  I've never seen a 36mm crowfoot, and even if it exists, the muffler is in the way...............which is the whole point behind the HD and KASTAR tools in the first place.  I've dreamed up making a tool from a 36mm open end, but even though it would work, it would be cumbersome with very little rotation before refit.  I'm working on it.............but until I, or anyone else comes up with a proper tool, those of us with certain aftermarket shocks will have to keep removing mufflers and using 36mmX1/2" dr. sockets just to tighten.......or loosen......secondary drive tension.   :(

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 10:09:57 AM »

HD has a 36mm axle nut TQ adapter.  Some here have said their stealer(s) will sell it.  I haven't found one that will sell it.  Alternative is the KASTAR 9636, which is a great tool.................if you are running stock shocks or shocks that have lower eyebolts the same size as stock.  Bitubos, and I believe Legends, have lower eyebolts which are larger than stock, thus KASTAR 9636 will not fit over the rear axle nut.  I'm pretty sure that means the HD TQ adapter will not fit that application either.  I've never seen a 36mm crowfoot, and even if it exists, the muffler is in the way...............which is the whole point behind the HD and KASTAR tools in the first place.  I've dreamed up making a tool from a 36mm open end, but even though it would work, it would be cumbersome with very little rotation before refit.  I'm working on it.............but until I, or anyone else comes up with a proper tool, those of us with certain aftermarket shocks will have to keep removing mufflers and using 36mmX1/2" dr. sockets just to tighten.......or loosen......secondary drive tension.   :(

Does this post come with a download for my GPS ???

B B

REGGAB

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 02:08:32 PM »

Does this post come with a download for my GPS ???

B B

Must be the Vicodin and Xanax haze again........huh Brian?   What the phuck are you talkiin' about?

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 03:30:17 PM »

Here is a wrench I use when adjusting cable clutches, keeps you away from that chrome primary while you loosen or thighten the lock down nut on the clutch rod adjustment screw still holding it in place. I put a pic with my post before someone starts in with the worthless smile guys,  :2vrolijk_21:  ah hell Im going to put them on too  :worthless:

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 12:27:32 AM »

A set of ball tip allen wrenches is a must have for many bolts on the bike.
A must have tool that is needed to adjust the spotlamps is the Snap on FRX181.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=2122&PartNo=frx181&group_id=262&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 10:46:22 AM »

I got a oil filter "socket" wrench that fits perfectly from Auto Zone, paid $3.00 for it. I just took a filter in with me and fit it to the right one in a bin. I've used it about 10 times. Good tip on the torx fitment!

Flyndyna
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 11:30:18 AM »

A set of ball tip allen wrenches is a must have for many bolts on the bike.
A must have tool that is needed to adjust the spotlamps is the Snap on FRX181.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=2122&PartNo=frx181&group_id=262&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all

HOLY CRAP!!!  $46 !!!!    AND IF I DO IT RIGHT, I'LL USE IT ONCE!!!!    pant pant pant pant......     oooohhhhmmmmmmm..........   okay.   does anybody have a , ahh,   less expensive option on this tool which I so desparately need....  once.... 

Everybody and thier borther sells a flare nut wrench, but I can't find the socket, until now.....
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 11:33:23 AM »

HOLY CRAP!!!  $46 !!!!    AND IF I DO IT RIGHT, I'LL USE IT ONCE!!!!    pant pant pant pant......     oooohhhhmmmmmmm..........   okay.   does anybody have a , ahh,   less expensive option on this tool which I so desparately need....  once.... 

Everybody and thier borther sells a flare nut wrench, but I can't find the socket, until now.....

Check the nut size, take a deepwell socket and a Dremel and make your own.

B B
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 24 queries.