Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Transmission Question  (Read 23914 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Transmission Question
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2008, 11:27:19 PM »

Have had a couple of questions wondering more specifically about what clearancing is required to install the SE 6 speed gear set which keeps others from working.  Just checked my notes from phone conversations during the day.  Was told the same thing by someone at Jim's and someone at Baker. 

I've never had a reason to be inside of one of these little gear boxes before.  So simply relying on what I'm being told at this point.  The change that is supposed to make the case no longer a donor for the installation of other gear sets is the complete amputation of the right fork rod boss.  Apparently that's a support that the other gear sets require but which is removed for installation of the HD SE six speed gear set.

Don,

I don't know this from first hand knowledge or experience, but I have been told the same thing from someone who claims to have made this conversion...

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2008, 03:03:19 AM »

The change that is supposed to make the case no longer a donor for the installation of other gear sets is the complete amputation of the right fork rod boss.  Apparently that's a support that the other gear sets require but which is removed for installation of the HD SE six speed gear set.

Well that makes sense and is better then the "it won't work" answer.

I guess this makes your choices a little easier now.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

hogasm

« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2008, 06:15:50 AM »

Is that also the case with the new 6-speed cruise drive tranny introduced on '07 models ('06 for dyna)?

Yes the new trans has the 2 peice retainer

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2008, 09:28:17 AM »

Well that makes sense and is better then the "it won't work" answer.

I guess this makes your choices a little easier now.

It does at last limit them.  Though the only options are the most expensive ones.  Think that tomorrow I'll pull the guts out of what's here and inspect the case as closely as I can.  Don't really expect to find it cratered.  But am concerned that a bearing might have spun.  Rather than dealing with honing out a hole and having to find oversized that would finish making the choice for a new box were that to have happened.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2008, 09:46:03 AM »

Well, as fast as it happened and with the "lock up" I think you may just find a failed gear, hopefully you will pull it apart and not have to deal with spun bearings.

But you have already said you would not trust the gear set if that is what you find. And I can't say I wouldn't feel the same, especially for the aforementioned reason (2 vs. 4)

You said you spoke with Jim's, did they show any interest in helping you out? Any interest in the failure?

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2008, 09:50:11 AM »

Well, as fast as it happened and with the "lock up" I think you may just find a failed gear, hopefully you will pull it apart and not have to deal with spun bearings.

But you have already said you would not trust the gear set if that is what you find. And I can't say I wouldn't feel the same, especially for the aforementioned reason (2 vs. 4)

You said you spoke with Jim's, did they show any interest in helping you out? Any interest in the failure?

It  does hardly seem worth the risk or annoyance.  Have access to a shop where I could magnaflux everything.  This is so much debris and shavings that came out with the fluid or on a magnet it's been everywhere.  So a gear set complete if, for no other reason, what's left would likely be noisier.  More important is the obvious though.  Don't want the notion of it trying to fall down again bouncing around in the back of my head with the voices.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2008, 10:19:14 AM »

It does at last limit them.  Though the only options are the most expensive ones.  Think that tomorrow I'll pull the guts out of what's here and inspect the case as closely as I can.  Don't really expect to find it cratered.  But am concerned that a bearing might have spun.  Rather than dealing with honing out a hole and having to find oversized that would finish making the choice for a new box were that to have happened.
:worthless:

This will be better than "The Big One" at Talledega that didn't happen. :2vrolijk_21:

:indian_chief:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2008, 10:30:26 AM »

This will be better than "The Big One" at Talledega that didn't happen. :2vrolijk_21:

Chuck, if I don't start launching parts....

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2008, 10:34:20 AM »

Chuck, if I don't start launching parts....

Pictures first, getting to Vescape comes second. Remember, count to ten and take deep breaths. Go have a cold one inside and then come back out. ;)

« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 10:38:18 AM by Chief »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2008, 10:39:59 AM »

Pictures first, getting to Vescape comes second. Remember, count to ten and take deep breaths. Go have a cold one inside and then come back out. ;)

I will do my best....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2008, 01:28:27 PM »

I'll be damned.  A guy in a pickup truck I assume on his way home after completing Saturday next-day deliveries just dropped off the Road Glide legs.  Talk about service above and beyond.

Will at least have something to ride while chasing and waiting on parts.  Going to go put the nose back on.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2008, 02:34:54 PM »

I'll be damned.  A guy in a pickup truck I assume on his way home after completing Saturday next-day deliveries just dropped off the Road Glide legs.  Talk about service above and beyond.

Will at least have something to ride while chasing and waiting on parts.  Going to go put the nose back on.

Sounds like you can be spending that time to get the SERG ready for Sedona! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2008, 06:51:08 PM »

just dropped off the Road Glide legs. 

What are you doing to the RG?

MV 2013

dsmbagger

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2008, 07:48:16 PM »

Look at the big hole in the center that drops down. That entire thing has to be trimmed off for a s/e unit to drop in. It support the rod that the shift forks ride on. With out that, it wont work. Why not just pop off your trans top cover and take a peek. Should only be a couple of minuted to get off.. I would highly doubt it that your cases were shot, i have fix grenaded trannies before and all the cases have been good.The only case i have ever had to replace was when the belt sproket came loose and gouged the case bad....

the S+s instructions that show the clearancing are very similar to the way the s/e one was done..

hope this helps a little.

dsmbagger

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2008, 07:52:20 PM »

this shows you what that rod supports..(this is a baker DD6 by the way)

If you want some more pics or need a walk through i can email you more pics or send you my #.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 25 queries.