Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Tailgaters  (Read 4046 times)

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
Re: Tailgaters
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 08:34:11 PM »

Marbles , pennies , ball bearings, bolts . Remember the LAW OF GROSS TONAGE always wins. I hate these guy's as much as anyone but they will always win if you piss them off. Stay safe and maybe you will meet up at the next stop. :sauer005: :sauer005:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 08:37:47 PM »

i know some states encourage the reporting of  "aggressive" drivers. i wouldnt expect a real time response but would expect it to go on record and if the offender is ever pulled over it would go toward establishing a pattern

He's right... it's not worth it... report him and you may get a cop who takes a personal intrest in hunting the dude down...

Pull over, let him pass, get a description of the plate, driver and vehicle, time and date too!

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 08:39:05 PM »

I say FIDO..........

Forget It and Drive On.
:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 08:53:40 PM »

Yeah, I was reaching and trying to find something to throw, but I wasn't pissed enough to part with my keys or cell phone - close though!

In hindsite, I wonder if throwing small items will help the situation. If the guy is that warped, that might just put him over the edge. It's not like we were dealing with some old lady who was just dopy.  This was some POS middle aged guy who obviously was enjoying antagonizing us. While catching up at the oasis would have been a gift from God, nobody is dumb enough to stop after messing with a bunch of bikers boiling over from his BS.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of a small extra oil bag and nozzle. Some fudgepacker rides your ass and a quick shot or two on the windshield and he'll just think the Harley is leaking something and back off right away. That was the only thing I could think of short of shooting the bastard.

Yeah - Yeah, it's easy to say to turn the other shoulder, and we did slow down and everything we could short of pulling over, but at some point, it gets damn personal.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 09:02:21 PM »

Yeah - Yeah, it's easy to say to turn the other shoulder, and we did slow down and everything we could short of pulling over, but at some point, it gets damn personal.

all joking aside....  we have all been there , either on the bike or in the cage when it starts to get personal....thats when you just gotta take a deep breath and let it roll off......maybe take the next off ramp, and then hit the on ramp....giving them time to get out of your field of vision and you time to chill a bit..

the outcome of these deals is rarely a good one for anyone...

about 15 yrs ago we had on these deals between two cars on I25...  both got pissed off and pulled over 

the 17 yr old angrily approached the 60 something yr old on the side of the highway..and the old man reacted and shot and killed him out of fear that he was going to get stomped....

no win all the way around.

and this chit happens all the time.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 09:09:30 PM »

A friend of mine got run off the road by some idiot reading his morning newspaper. Made him so mad, he caught back up to him, sped around him, & forced him to stop. Slammed his truck in park, and ran back to the guys car just as he was unfolding his HUGE Body to get out. Said he looked like a linebacker. He brushed the guys clothes off, and said he just wanted to personally apologize for almost hitting him. Was he OK?
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 09:23:25 PM »

It ain't a fair fight when you're up against a cage. Don't fight one you can't win. If you catch up at the next rest stop, then bite off what you can chew, other than that you just got to get away from em before you do something stupid.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 05:48:38 AM by Screamin »

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 10:26:55 PM »

What I do NOT recommend is something I did years ago.  There was construction area and a lady in a white chevy riding down the closed right hand lane.  When she got to a bridge and could go no further she decided a bike would be better to hit than a car.  She forced her way of her closed travel lane which forced me out into the oncoming traffic where I nearly had a head on with a pickup.  Rational thought having been surrendered I kicked the door of the white chevy as hard as I could.

Remember from science class where for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction?  Kicking 150 lbs of force into a door to your right moves the bike as if someone kicked it with 150 lbs of force to the left.  This brought me again across the head on traffic lane and almost to the shoulder of the road at about 45MPH.

Having survived this, and the return trip across the head on traffic lanes, I now realized that the white car (which had slammed on it's brakes when I kicked it) was now rapidly bearing down on me.  I spent the next 15 miles or so passing along the solid yellow line between cars trying to get away while the white chevy chased me trying to run me over.

I finally got away unscathed, but have never surrendered to the impulse to kick another car.  Video recording sounds like an excellent idea, without it things turn into a "he said she said" event if you complain to the police about anther's driving.
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 11:09:19 PM »

Not to mention... odds are very good that you would get charged criminally with mischief!

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 11:31:52 PM »

What many have said so far about trying to forget about the idiots and moving on (Or stopping) is the best advice. It's hard to have a fight if only one person is participating.
I know we all get POed at the stupidity of others and wish we could destroy them but unfortunately we can't.
To paraphrase another expression "I wouldn't bring a motorcycle to a car fight", bad odds for survival there.
The way many suffer from road rage things can be escalated to a gun battle over something stupid and it's not worth it. It is harder to shoot from a motorcycle and you have less cover around you vs. the car or truck. Plus usually it's not worth death or imprisonment for that traffic infraction or because someone  was "dissed".

The idea of throwing something can also lead to big problems as well. Many states have laws dealing with that and in Virginia it is a Felony to throw something from or at a moving vehicle. In this day and age of camera phones and traffic cams it is harder to get away with something like that when the tape can be played back in court.

REGGAB

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 06:50:22 AM »

The thing that I hate, is when I'm in the left lane and passing, and some idiot bit*h tries to change lanes into my lane when my bike is parallel to her........and the stupid cu*t looks at me like I'm wrong.  And there is a concrete barrier on the other side of me.  The football sized dent in her door crossed my mind, but as clumsy as I am, I'd have kicked the split*il's car and inertially put myself in the wall...........completely defeating the purpose.  These situations are why I like powerful engines.  Drop a gear or two, snatch the wick, and power out.  Wakes 'em up too.   

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 07:31:43 AM »

Get off the bike and beat the crap out of him.THE MUFFMAN

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 08:36:17 AM »

I've tried this trick a couple of times.  I turn around as far as I can so they can see my face.  I give them my best Charlie Manson smile and wave them closer.  Then I reach into my jacket like I'm reaching for a weapon.  Both times I've used this they've backed off.  I've used this on country roads where there is no safe pullover point.  I will not under any circumstances pull over and stop.  We've had robberies happen that way in PA.  On the highway I've done whatever I've had to, to get them to get around me.  Including the top gun trick of getting out to either side of them and then quick-hitting the breaks so they fly on by.

The fact is there is no consequence for their action these days.  You give in to stay alive and the pavlovian response take effect.  "Oh!  I tail gate a biker and they let me by.  I'll think I'll try that again."  We have to press for the police to repsond when a report is made of these idiots.  Otherwise 20 years from now, we'll all be driving armoured cars.  If you think I'm over reacting, ask a smoker what happens when you let people get away with a little at a time.  I've been riding for 20 years on the street (30 actually, but I was underage for the first 10!).  It has definetly gotten worse with cars "bullying" the bikes.  I beleive it's because they get away with it.  If respond on our own we get arrested for asault or the driver retaliates with a car against bike and the bike looses.  Join the AMA and write a letter to their legal action team to start pressing for better  enforcement of those laws.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 08:42:55 AM »

I have the right to protect myself, my family and my property at home or in public...
When I reach into my jacket, there is a weapon there.

In Florida it is a matter of common sense to be well armed.

I like my new Ruger LCP, it fits in the dash bag for when I do not have a jacket on.   :2vrolijk_21:

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 09:25:27 AM »

Many years ago Spencer's Gifts used to sell stick on buttons that had little electronic batteries in them that could generate little electronic noises.  These buttons were labeled with such things as "Death Ray", "Smoke Screen", "Rear Machine Gun".  They could be stuck to dash pads, inner fairings, or tanks.  They certainly wouldn't accomplish as much as intended but giving someone an unsuspecting "Death Ray" through clenched teach is better than years of anger management therapy.  I'm just saying.......
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 25 queries.