Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Engine Light Comming on at speeds between 65 to 75  (Read 5653 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Engine Light Comming on at speeds between 65 to 75
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 04:18:02 PM »

Check the plugs for fouling. The ECM knows when the engine isnt firing right under a load.
Friend was having light come on under acceleration.  Went to check spark plugs and found that the screw-on tip on one of the plugs was very loose.  Tightened it up, re-installed plug wire and problem solved.  It should always be so simple, lol.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 05:04:24 PM »

If you're interested here are some threads on some bolt in cams (Freedom/Yuill Brothers and Zippers Cams) for the 103ci motors...

REDSHIFT 575 CAMS & OTHER PRETTY PARTS (several dyno runs in this thread)

FCC14 Cams 103 Dyno

Freedom Cycles "Secret" FCC9 Cam Dyno (earlier version of the FCC14)

Freedom Cycles CVO 103 Cams

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RobertinArgyle

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 05:41:14 PM »

Hey Naitram-  I have been told by two mechanics (one HD and one indy) that you don't have to pull the cam plate to inspect the inner tensioner.  They use a dental mirror to visualize  that part.  I had my bike at the local HD shop and ask them to inspect these parts.  ( My SERG has 25,000 on the odo)  After seeing a one hour charge for labor, I ask them how they got to the inner tensioner.  This is the explanation I got.  Is the HD mech blowing smoke...? He told me both were "fine"  If so, I need to take the bike back and have them remove the cam plate!

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 09:42:17 PM »

ok, i'm not saying it cant be done that way but can they really do a thourogh inspection?

,ayne one of our resident wrenches can speak up on this one
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 07:57:27 AM »

ok, i'm not saying it cant be done that way but can they really do a thourogh inspection?

,ayne one of our resident wrenches can speak up on this one

What I have done is to use a pin punch, 1/8" I believe, and hook the ear of the inner tensioner and lift it up using the top edge of the cam plate as a fulcrum. You can then slide in a locking pin to hold it up unloading the chain. Once it's up in the air like that, inspection is easy with a small mirror.

This method also allows removal of the cam plate without stressing the bearings when the cams come out of the inner cam bearings and the chain is still under tension.

:indian_chief:

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 09:14:24 AM »

Friend was having light come on under acceleration.  Went to check spark plugs and found that the screw-on tip on one of the plugs was very loose.  Tightened it up, re-installed plug wire and problem solved.  It should always be so simple, lol.

I can check the obvious and thanks for the tips, but yesterday on the way home from work the bike started backfiring and the light was coming on just going around a corner. Made it home OK but it seems like it's getting worse. I'll also ask the mechanic about Chiefs method of checking the tensioners.
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 10:14:14 AM »

I can check the obvious and thanks for the tips, but yesterday on the way home from work the bike started backfiring and the light was coming on just going around a corner. Made it home OK but it seems like it's getting worse. I'll also ask the mechanic about Chiefs method of checking the tensioners.

How long until you can get the diags run?

:indian_chief:

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 11:46:29 AM »

Probably next week. Tues or Wed.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 12:06:21 PM »

Sorry to read of this Fuzz.  Was concerned that it might be something more problematic so it's good the idea was on your mind and you've already got shop time ahead for it.  Good luck getting it sorted and that it proves to be minor rather than major.

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 01:43:25 PM »

I'll post the results of the mechanics diagnosis. It just sucks that the bike will be down for the weekend. Just as well ,I have to split wood this weekend anyway.

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 12:24:40 PM »

Spiderman your a genius, did the ignition thing six times. No engine lights at the previous conditions stated. Running good.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 01:07:41 AM »

Spiderman your a genius, did the ignition thing six times. No engine lights at the previous conditions stated. Running good.

Fuzz, if you did clear some codes or somehow manage to get away from some other electronic reporting that's great.  Unfortunately the multiple cycles of the ignition switch wouldn't have any impact the bad running problem you described later in the thread.

Has that repeated itself?  Maybe just a one-off bad moment?  Or you thing there's still something else going on there?

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 10:27:34 AM »

I put about 170 miles on the bike yesterday, no repeated problems, no backfiring at low speed. However, the engine light dose re-illuminate after the initial start up. It dose go out after a few seconds. Which means the ECM is holding that memory of what went wrong. I think. I'm still going to the speed shop Wed to get my baffles changed, ( I think I'm really pissing the nieghbors off) and oil changed. So the Diag's will still happen. I was looking at the ECM threads and (copout221) had a similar problem. Athough he's got a 07 and mine an 03. :nixweiss:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 12:01:33 PM »

Fuzz, if you did clear some codes or somehow manage to get away from some other electronic reporting that's great.  Unfortunately the multiple cycles of the ignition switch wouldn't have any impact the bad running problem you described later in the thread.

Has that repeated itself?  Maybe just a one-off bad moment?  Or you thing there's still something else going on there?

I was told by an H-D Tech many years ago when H-D went to Delphi ignition that you can clear the codes on the ECM by doing what I suggested. I had some issues relative to the ECM in the time I owned  my two 03 SERKS and the switch cycle routine always worked.

Having said all that, of course as Twolanerider has pointed out, you can't fix a broken leg by drawing a picture of a cast on your skin. My post was simply in reference to Fuzzy's issue with the engine light being on.

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 12:05:15 PM »

I was told by an H-D Tech many years ago when H-D went to Delphi ignition that you can clear the codes on the ECM by doing what I suggested. I had some issues relative to the ECM in the time I owned  my two 03 SERKS and the switch cycle routine always worked.

Having said all that, of course as Twolanerider has pointed out, you can't fix a broken leg by drawing a picture of a cast on your skin. My post was simply in reference to Fuzzy's issue with the engine light being on.

B B

Have been told the same thing BB.  That some certain number of on-off cycles clears historical codes.  Can't say I ever paid much attention to it though.  If I knew there was one for which the problem was either false or fixed always just knew that after riding for a few days the code would eventually clear and go away after I started and stopped enough times.  I like lazy solutions that actually work and don't hurt anything.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 20 queries.