Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Dragon takes another life  (Read 8272 times)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: Dragon takes another life
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2008, 09:35:08 AM »

Something else worth noting for those who are flatlanders - Here in Florida we have signs posted for suggested speed limits around turns (yeah, not all the roads here are straight).  They will suggest 35 mph & the corner can be taken at 70 mph or more.  Not true in many of the mountain states for cruiser riders as to posted corner speeds.  They have a closer bearing to reality than the ones here that are posted grossly under a safe mph.  So a 35 mph turn in the mountains may not be 35 mph, but it usually ain't 70+ mph.
Recommended speed for a corner -------- 5 and 10 MPH recommendations really get my attention!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2008, 09:51:55 AM »

Recommended speed for a corner -------- 5 and 10 MPH recommendations really get my attention!

Same here, Mrs.We.  Rode Devil's Triangle outside Knoxville, TN last year.  One of the more challenging roads I have ridden in the East - in spots more technical than the Dragon.  Do not recall the posted limit but do recall going uphill on almost 180 degree switchbacks and thinking my tail lights had to be in front of me a few times.

Suspect more than a few wrecks happen because folks do not take those 5-10 mph signs seriously. 

In The Liquid Sunshine Bug Infested Jungle Tourist Fleecing Retirement Paradise State here, we have 5 mph speed zones, and golf cart scofflaws regularly break them, too.   ;D
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2008, 09:55:08 AM »

Something else worth noting for those who are flatlanders - Here in Florida we have signs posted for suggested speed limits around turns (yeah, not all the roads here are straight).  They will suggest 35 mph & the corner can be taken at 70 mph or more.  Not true in many of the mountain states for cruiser riders as to posted corner speeds.  They have a closer bearing to reality than the ones here that are posted grossly under a safe mph.  So a 35 mph turn in the mountains may not be 35 mph, but it usually ain't 70+ mph.

Always felt that heading up into VT...when they show a  , they usually mean it!

Last weekend there were several 50mph zone turns that were taken at 40-45mph.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2008, 10:13:58 AM »

Always felt that heading up into VT...when they show a  , they usually mean it!

Last weekend there were several 50mph zone turns that were taken at 40-45mph.

/Bill

Bill,

Usually I pay less attention to the posted mph sign that the curve conditions.  On bumpy curves especially with loose road surfaces, I take it easy.  The mph sign is supposed to be a maximum safe speed, but in places they could be showing higher than safe.  Have seen a few folks run off the road (in my rear view mirrors) on the Dragon & each time they were going faster than they should have been.  Not as fast as the lead rider, just faster than their ability allowed.  And that ability is individual and very subjective.

Better to ride safe today & ride another day than to ride too fast & it be your last.

Mike

But I LOVE to ride fast!   :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 24 queries.