Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Dragon takes another life  (Read 8275 times)

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
Dragon takes another life
« on: June 24, 2008, 08:54:48 AM »

Arkansas man dies on Dragon

By Jessica Stith
of The Daily Times Staff

A 67-year-old Arkansas man was killed Monday when he lost control of his trike, struck a tree and fell down an embankment while riding on the Dragon.
Harold Smith, 67, Sherwood, Ark., was pronounced dead at Blount Memorial Hospital, according to Tennessee Highway Patrol Trooper Cory Russell.

Russell said Smith was driving a 2006 Honda GL 1800 trike northbound at 12:16 p.m. on the Dragon, an 11-mile stretch of Calderwood Highway that has more than 300 curves. He said it appeared that Smith lost control when his rear tire raised up while driving through a curve.

“(Smith) was negotiating a curve when he lost control of his vehicle.” Russell said. “He attempted to correct his vehicle and when he did, he overcorrected.”

Smith’s trike crossed the double lines on the highway, went off the left side of the road and struck a tree. Russell said his trike “rolled 150 feet down an embankment” and Smith fell about 25 feet down.

Russell said a friend of Smith and an off-duty medic who was passing by attempted to give CPR to Smith on the scene. He was taken by Rural/Metro Ambulance Service to Blount Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Smith was wearing a helmet and Russell said speed was not a factor in the cause of the accident.

Blount County Sheriff’s deputies, members of the Blount County Volunteer Rescue Squad and Blount County firefighters assisted THP and Rural/Metro at the scene.
The wreck resulted in the eighth traffic fatality in Blount County so far this year. At this time in 2007, there had been 13 traffic fatalities. Smith’s death was the second traffic fatality so far this year on the Dragon.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
Re: Dragon takes another life
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 04:29:45 PM »

That serves as a reminder to all the CVO'rs to be careful out there. THE MUFFMAN

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 05:08:49 PM »

Very dangerous place form the sounds of things.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 05:19:01 PM »

Very dangerous place form the sounds of things.

it aint that bad..... but i think some peole let the "notority" of the road get into their head...
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 06:15:25 PM »

it aint that bad..... but i think some peole let the "notority" of the road get into their head...

Like this guy ,
    "If yer gonna be stupid you better be tough"
Problem is when he meets  another bike everyone looses.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »

I've read this three times and I can't help but wonder if the guy had any experience with the trike or if he just bought it and thought he'd break er in on the Dragon. Just doesn't add up. Like Neal says, that road isn't as bad as it's reputation by quite a bit. I'll stack up the Palomar Mtn Rd out her against it. And with Palomar, you miss a curve it's about a mile straight down. Anyway, sad to read about a guy probably just retired checkin out like this.

B B

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 07:16:44 PM »

These things really make it crazy.

Firechief2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCU3
    • Calgary Red Knights
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 09:39:18 PM »

"Speed wasn't a factor"
Obviously for this poor soul it was ---- wheel lift that he couldn't control !
Roy J
Past President Calgary Red Knights
Deputy Chief (retired) SFD

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 07:52:24 AM »

Sad to hear that the dragon ate again...... :(

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 09:13:54 AM »

These things really make it crazy.

me and d00D almost got friendly with something like that a couple years ago. wasnt on the dragon but in the general area. on a right hand sweep with a rock face on the right edge of the road. got into my turn on a good line and was looking at a rig coming toward us crossing over the double yellow  :oops:

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 12:26:51 PM »

me and d00D almost got friendly with something like that a couple years ago. wasnt on the dragon but in the general area. on a right hand sweep with a rock face on the right edge of the road. got into my turn on a good line and was looking at a rig coming toward us crossing over the double yellow  :oops:

Same goes here but right on the Dragon. Had to stop and change the underwear. THE MUFFMAN

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 01:33:18 PM »

Since I never saw anything other than bikes and cars when I rode the Dragon, I guess I just assumed that trucks were forbidden. Can't imagine any trucker in his right mind taking that road unless he had no other way to get to where he wanted to be.

B B

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 01:36:42 PM »

Since I never saw anything other than bikes and cars when I rode the Dragon, I guess I just assumed that trucks were forbidden. Can't imagine any trucker in his right mind taking that road unless he had no other way to get to where he wanted to be.

B B

Only been there once but was lucky enough to have no semi's either.  I think I read since it is a state route that they can't be outlawed?   :nixweiss:  Common sense would tell most truckers to stay clear of though.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 01:43:47 PM »

big signs heading east on 129 before you get htere encourging truckers to turn around.....

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 03:25:27 PM »

Only been there once but was lucky enough to have no semi's either.  I think I read since it is a state route that they can't be outlawed?   :nixweiss:  Common sense would tell most truckers to stay clear of though.
Actually it is a US highway, no chit.  So I doubt the states have any say so about that.  Some truckers (new to trucking or unfamiliar with the area) look on a map and 129 looks like a great shortcut.  And it really does not look anything like what it turns out to be on a road map.  Swift Transportation out of Phoenix had a real problem with some of its drivers taking (or trying to take) the Dragon a few years ago.  Used to be unbelievable pix of 18 wheelers actually hung up on some of the curves posted on some of the Dragon websites.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 24 queries.