Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: H.O.G Membership  (Read 13341 times)

Keithincda

• Senior CVO Member
  • Almost there!

• CVO1: Teal 2005 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide
H.O.G Membership
« on: July 07, 2008, 01:47:53 PM »

Just curious how many members here have H.O.G memberships?
I got my HOG renewal the other day and tossed it into the round file ...main reason being that last weekend when I had to have my bike towed home all the HOG membership would cover was $100 toward the bill. But my AAA membership covered everything at no cost to me (I have AAA Plus to cover cycles and Rv's) for up to 150 miles, the tow home was 108 miles. The only reason I really had the HOG membership was to have the roadside assistance with the added benefit of getting into the events at Sturgis or Daytona but I'll pay for those individually if I have to...any one else?

:soapbox:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: H.O.G Membership
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 01:50:32 PM »

I chitcanned hog years ago, shoot now I don't the patch n pins no mo! :o

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 02:45:02 PM »

HOG gets you into certain HOG venues - regionally as well as nationally.  Pins, patches, and sometimes a cookie.  Some enjoy that and others do not.  To each their own.

1 advantage to the towing from HOG is they use motorcycle approved only services (sure there are some stories where they did not but...) everyone I know has been pleased with their tow. 

May sound corny, but I really enjoy the HOF/Harleymagazines - enjoy reading about bike trips, and am used to a gazillion ads interspersed in most bike mags already.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 02:51:26 PM »

Had I known about the cookies, maybe Ida stayed!  :P

I think get the mags of my 07 but get so much crap in the mail I hadta get a bigget mail receptacle(pre-trash can can) :pineapple:

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 02:54:04 PM »

I have national hog for the magazines and that I need to have national to be a local member. I use local membership for the discount on parts and accessories.
I didn't need towing for 9 years of ownership of my Fatboy but I have used towing once with my FLHTCUSE and was glad i had it. They did a good job but it wasn't long distance.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 03:06:47 PM »

Had I known about the cookies, maybe Ida stayed!  :P

Sometimes they have punch or coffee, too.   :pepper:

(And demo rides).

Local dealer gives a discount for local HOG & has planned a HOG only sale, too.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 03:10:30 PM »

I've got the lifetime HOG thing.  But only because it was done a long long time ago when it cost next to nothing.  Only even moderate benefit now is the atlas that shows up every year.  Though it gets carried along only for the contact info it provides.

Occasionally look at the magazine/advertising rag that shows up at some interval.  So poorly written never get very far in to it though.  My niece digs the pins and patches.  Since not paying for them anymore guess that makes it worthwhile.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 03:16:10 PM »

Sometimes they have punch or coffee, too.   :pepper:

(And demo rides).

Local dealer gives a discount for local HOG & has planned a HOG only sale, too.

Only when you attend their meethings though..

I quite H.O.G. years ago. I have Allstate towing and had to use them twice. Each time i told them i had a motorcycle and they sent out a flatbed and took real good care of my baby. One time I was near Fresno about 160 miels from home. They towed me bike the extra distance no questions asked.

Also each time they arrived within the hour after calling.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 03:29:16 PM »

Only time I had to use the HOG towing it was a disaster.  Had to get someone from over 50 miles away and then he did not have proper equipment to load my ultra.  Oh well, it's a crap shoot just depending on where you are when you break down.  Of course it is not 'really' HOG or HD for that matter - they just contract it out to Road America (as I'm sure other services do also).

But that's not why I support HOG.  Met lots of friends through HOG, been on several really nice road trips and gotten to know many of the execs at HOG and HD.  Gotten to know dozens of great folks at local chapter who I can ride with.  So all is all a big, big plus for me and HQ. 

But to each his (or her) own.  That's why they make chocolate & vanilla, Chevys & Fords.  Heck if everyone liked and supported that very same thing it'd be a pretty dull world.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 03:50:59 PM »

HOG gets you into certain HOG venues - regionally as well as nationally.  Pins, patches, and sometimes a cookie.  Some enjoy that and others do not.  To each their own.

1 advantage to the towing from HOG is they use motorcycle approved only services (sure there are some stories where they did not but...) everyone I know has been pleased with their tow. 

May sound corny, but I really enjoy the HOF/Harleymagazines - enjoy reading about bike trips, and am used to a gazillion ads interspersed in most bike mags already.

I'm with you Iski. I enjoy the Hog magazines. I have never been to a Hog Rally.  My wife bought me a lifer subscription years ago where I never have to renew, otherwise it may have been put on the wayside. THE MUFFMAN

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 04:06:07 PM »

I'm with you Iski. I enjoy the Hog magazines. I have never been to a Hog Rally.  My wife bought me a lifer subscription years ago where I never have to renew, otherwise it may have been put on the wayside. THE MUFFMAN

We are also involved in the local chapter, MM.  Lots of friends & riding buddies from that association.  I helped set up local rides & this helps gets new riders involved in riding - many stay for a while & quit - others are charter members.  Ride with folks who are/are not members locally.  We enjoy the chapter so it works ok for us.  Also do some overnights here & there.  Know some that do not care for local HOG chapters & have heard many war stories in that regard.  The way I look at it is - if its fun & we have fun then we are on the right track. 

electraglideclyde

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • GA

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 04:08:40 PM »

I've been a H.O.G. member for about 10 years now, both national and chapter. Activity in the local chapter comes and goes.  I was a MSF Instructor, so they enlisted me for Road Captain, Safety Officer and such, but it just got to be too much work.  Now, I'm just a flunky, and I ride with them when they are going some place fun.  The rest of the time, I just ride with the Homies.
Hair of the Dog

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 04:19:24 PM »

I'm active because of my local chapter ( I sound like a union guy). Enjoy the rides and the discount at the local dealer which is 15%. One has to spread the wealth a little and keep those dollars close to home so I don't always buy from Jenni. On another note, I just called AAA to find out if my bike was covered. Of course not! It is an additional $32/yr with up to 100 mile of towing and $3/mile after that. For $32/yr I do get free gas delivery  :).
AJ

2PAK

• Full CVO Member
  • I'm not young enough to know everything.
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 04:26:04 PM »

My recommendation is to buy a new CVO each year and the HOG membership is free as a consequence.  This is the logic I use on my imaginary wife who lives on as a figment of my imagination within the theater of the absurd constantly playing in my mind....   :bananarock:

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 04:28:34 PM »

I'm active because of my local chapter ( I sound like a union guy). Enjoy the rides and the discount at the local dealer which is 15%. One has to spread the wealth a little and keep those dollars close to home so I don't always buy from Jenni. On another note, I just called AAA to find out if my bike was covered. Of course not! It is an additional $32/yr with up to 100 mile of towing and $3/mile after that. For $32/yr I do get free gas delivery  :).
AJ
AJ, you can pay a little extra to Road America ($25, I think??) and get the unlimited package - no limit on tows or distance to nearest Harley dealer.  Since I'm not a AAA member that's what I do.  Cheaper that the upgrade at AAA and way cheaper if you're not a AAA member at all.

BTW most insurance policies will also pay for tows - may not arrange them but will reimburse some if not all.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 20 queries.