Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: How much cam lift with stock cvo heads?  (Read 12832 times)

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
How much cam lift with stock cvo heads?
« on: July 12, 2008, 07:48:33 AM »

I have a 2007 ultra classsic with  the 110 engine kit installed. Part # 29844-07. This comes with the cvo heads and se255 camshafts. I have made a few modifications- SE hi flow ac, se racetuner, se 50mm tb, cobra true duals with supertrapp exhaust. The bike runs decent it dynoed at 90 horse and 110 ft/lb torque.
Any way I'm contemplating some motor work. I dont't really like the idea of more compression and moving my power band to the high rpms. I found a cam that has got me interested. It is the zippers 657S.  I talked with zippers tech line and they told me the cam would work fine for my application but I would probably need different valve springs. Can anyone tell me how much lift the cvo heads can accomodate?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: How much cam lift with stock cvo heads?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 08:12:01 AM »

I have a 2007 ultra classsic with  the 110 engine kit installed. Part # 29844-07. This comes with the cvo heads and se255 camshafts. I have made a few modifications- SE hi flow ac, se racetuner, se 50mm tb, cobra true duals with supertrapp exhaust. The bike runs decent it dynoed at 90 horse and 110 ft/lb torque.
Any way I'm contemplating some motor work. I dont't really like the idea of more compression and moving my power band to the high rpms. I found a cam that has got me interested. It is the zippers 657S.  I talked with zippers tech line and they told me the cam would work fine for my application but I would probably need different valve springs. Can anyone tell me how much lift the cvo heads can accomodate?

It can handle the SE 251 (579 lift). I have 595 lift cams and it was recommended to be used with new springs. Mighta got awy with it. But 657, no way. And if you don't want radical, why use such a high lift cam. I would think you'd need higher compression with that cam too. Look at Cyclerama's CR595 or Mackie's 595. These are setup to work well with the 110. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 08:35:34 AM »

According to their advetising the narrow timing really boosts low end grunt. I'm not very educated on cam specs and what exactly they mean but I'm trying to learn.  A friend of my had an 07 se dyna, he claims to have run 10.5 to pistons and the se-264 cams(.635" lift) with no spring modification.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 10:05:56 AM »

Well I can tell you the TC657's are not a bad cam. You will need some comperssion. It has a low duration with a lot of lift. It will produce some stump pulling power. The SE heads will not acomodate the 657's without any head work and a change of springs. If you are hell bent on running those cams, send your heads out have them cut 50 thou and do a decent valve job. After that they can install new springs and set the heads up to take the 657's.

I run that same cam and produce some great TQ and even better HP.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 10:14:49 AM »

I'm not hell bent on them but they have sparked my curiosity thank you for the input on what it will take to use these cams. How much compression/what cubic inch are you running?

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 10:43:03 AM »

The motor is a CVO 103 with 4.060 cylinders, that gives it 113 ci. The pistons are HD SE and the compression is 10.25 to 1.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »

Where is the power range? Currently I have awesome low end but at 4K rpm it just feels flat to red line. I'm looking for something that pulls hard on the low end but pulls to at least 5K rpm.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 11:18:01 AM »

I put the Cycle Rama 595 in without changing the springs and ended up with coil bind.   Mine were a max lift of .600 lift.   .575 is about as far as you want to push the cam with the springs currently in the heads.   The advice dawg is giving is good advice, but you can get the same power without going quite so extreme on the cam and lift.   You have to decide where you want the power either low, low / mid, mid / high or just high then keep in mind how much compression you want to run especially with the ethanol being added to the gas.  Once you decide that, have the head guy match you up with a proven combination of his headwork / cam and you should be set.   On the 110's with larger throttlebody, a good head port and valve job, upgraded valve springs and good pipe, you should easily be able to see 120/115 to be conservative.   We have seen more from the Cycle Rama package, but rather be conservative than say you will get what we got and if you didn't to be upset.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 01:13:02 PM »

I had the 657 and the Mackie 598 in the same engine.  Not a 110.  A 103 then running at about 10.25:1.

Discounting any other issues for this discussion the 657 came in much later than the Mackie cam.  It was also very touchy to tune.  In that engine the Mackie 598 was a much superior cam.

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 02:27:09 PM »

When I spoke to Mackie, he suggested the 598, He did also inform me that the cvo heads were actually a very good head and changing cams without any head work would work out just fine. As far as the Mackie 595 I can only find it for evolution applications.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 02:36:02 PM »

When I spoke to Mackie, he suggested the 598, He did also inform me that the cvo heads were actually a very good head and changing cams without any head work would work out just fine. As far as the Mackie 595 I can only find it for evolution applications.

I have been very very pleased with the 598 Mackie cams.  Same cams now in 107 combination with just barely over 10.25:1.  Engine pulls hard from very early and just keeps going.  Tuned well, not quirky at all, no detonation issues from cam timing and numbers in the low 120s at its final tune.  I've become a big fan of this cam set for similar combinations.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 03:30:08 PM »

I had the 657 and the Mackie 598 in the same engine.  Not a 110.  A 103 then running at about 10.25:1.

Discounting any other issues for this discussion the 657 came in much later than the Mackie cam.  It was also very touchy to tune.  In that engine the Mackie 598 was a much superior cam.

Sorry man, I meant 598 from Mackie and 595 from CR.

I'm using the CR595 w/9.8:1 CR and CR ported SE 110 heads. ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 04:05:56 PM »

I will check out the cr 595 for sure. The 657 is probably an overkill, the huge lift and realitively short duration just happened to catch my attention.  I'm still undecided about higher compression pistons. I just worry about detonation issues since good fuel is harder and harder to come by.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 04:16:56 PM »

I will check out the cr 595 for sure. The 657 is probably an overkill, the huge lift and realitively short duration just happened to catch my attention.  I'm still undecided about higher compression pistons. I just worry about detonation issues since good fuel is harder and harder to come by.

I didn't want too high of a CR, so we decked the heads and used Cometic .030" HG's for 9.8:1 CR with the ported heads and CR 595 cams. Motor pulls strong all the way to redline. ;)

Hoist! 8)

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 04:26:25 PM »

Now I definatley have some cam choices to look over, anybody got any thoughts on roller rockers? Worth the money or not?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 20 queries.