Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27

Author Topic: Value of a 1999 FXR2  (Read 71500 times)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
Re: Vaule of a 1999 FXR2
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2008, 01:28:17 PM »

The "concept" of the "diamond cutting" that suggests that there is a "cooling" effect from the results of cutting the fins is that the surface of the fins becomes "jagged" which creates more "turbulence" across the "fins" thus allowing more air to circulate around and near the fins which reduces the temperature......

Now whether you agree with the above or not....is your choice....lol....but that's the logic they are providing that seems to substanuate their position.

I believe the FXR4 comes with "drag bars" OEM from the factory with the riser.....if you guys will pop over to the thread that shows the photos of the FXR2's, FXR3's, and FXR4's and take special note of message or post # 27, #28, and #29 you will see a "factory OEM yellow FXR4 that shows the "steel braided" brake lines as well as the risers and drag bars used from the factory.  The advbertising brochure in message/post #52 also confirms this.....so if any of you are seeing "black vinyl" being used on an FXR4 for the dual front brake lines it's not factory it's something someone replaced during their ownership.

The "black vinyl" covered cables are used for the throttle, idle, and clutch cables.

When I did my handle bar modification and needed to extend the brake line I used a "clear vinyl" coated steel braided "Goodridge" cable....as I note in that particular thread.

gflvette2.....

Well from what I read it seems you found the "nerve" of the FXR2 Seller.....To go from $12,500 down to $11,000 so quickly and then to read your reflections on how you sent the Seller bike pricing from EBAY numbers probably wouldn't set too well....It probably would be better for you to determine whats the bike worth to you....and make your best offer....

getting my popcorn....lol

Regards,

FXR2evo99

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Blue
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI LAVA RED SUNGLO
    • CVO3: 1984 FLHX SHOVELHEAD Special Edition EG
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2008, 02:25:12 PM »

Hello FXR2evo99. Truer words could not have been spoken. I think he got very aggitated. All I was trying to do is to let him see what the market was bringing in at this time. I even told him about my  2005 FLHTCUI W/ true duals Rineharts, Power Commander, Stage one download, K&N air filter that cost me a total of $25,000, with taxes of course When new. I sent him  simular 2005 on E-bay and didn't sell at $13K.  I thank you and all the  guys here for your in sight regarding these bikes. I just saw a FXR3, green w/14k.mi. Stock. Whats your opionion?? Thanks Again for all your help. By the way, Whats your name?  Best regards, George

PS: I would perfer the Blue Flame, but I love them all.i

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2008, 02:45:37 PM »

Hello FXR2evo99. my name is Tim. Truer words could not have been spoken. I think he got very aggitated. All I was trying to do is to let him see what the market was bringing in at this time. I even told him about my  2005 FLHTCUI W/ true duals Rineharts, Power Commander, Stage one download, K&N air filter that cost me a total of $25,000, with taxes of course When new. I sent him  simular 2005 on E-bay and didn't sell at $13K.  I thank you and all the  guys here for your in sight regarding these bikes. I just saw a FXR3, green w/14k.mi. Stock. Whats your opionion?? Thanks Again for all your help. By the way, Whats your name?  Best regards, George

PS: I would perfer the Blue Flame, but I love them all.i

Sits you down....in a room with no light.....and turns a bright flood light on to you.....shhhhhh don't move....just leesteen....in my best "german" voice....like Sargent Schultz from Hogan's Heros.....Youve wheeel listeeeen....  :2vrolijk_21:

If you prefer "blue" then green has no value to you.....and it doesn't matter what the price is.....like I said you need to sit down after looking and reading about these bikes and put a list together and decide for yourself which one seems to be yanking on you.....or confusion will preside over every step you take in the process......turns the light off and leaves you to ponder.....

Regards,

FXR2evo99

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2008, 04:04:06 PM »

Hey Tim, how are you? I know what you mean. I never saw the FXR3's or 4 in person so its hard to decide . I like all three. I now understand the 3,blue w/ blue flames is rare. Whats the chances of finding one of them? There a green one on e-bay right now. If I had the chance to see all three I think it would be a little easier to choose. Anyway, I don't want to be a pain in the butt by asking for opinions. I just like too hear others opinions (pro/con) about them.   Best, George

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2008, 06:23:54 PM »

George.....

Yes indeed the FXR3 Dark Candy Bue With Flames is a "limited" color which numbers 55  total (not built in CA).  What are your "chances" of finding one?  Well....let's put this in statistical numbers....there are 570 1999 FXR2 Arresting Red bikes (not built in CA).....so if you take 10% of those you have the total amount of the FXR3 Dark Candy Blue with Flames.  That should put it in perspective....if you are willing to go anywhere in the US to secure one of these models you will do so, but the question is @ what price.  Time will tell.  I have heard it communicated that the FXR3 Dark Candy Blue with Flames was presented to Dealers as a "bonus" to them for award purposes....obviously only 64 dealers received one.....and to this end please be advised that it's the "paint set" that is so limited.....HD produced a total of 2,342 FXR bikes in 1999 and 2000 that were not built specifically for California.  How they have been distributed is by model features and sheet metal color.

Where ever you are located in the US your ability to search for any FXR2, FXR3, or FXR4 is just like mine, you can call every dealership in America to see if they have one, you can check on EBAY, you can google by doing a specific search for the model you are looking for.  <~~~this is the way I found my bike, via a "google" search by typing in FXR2 and I found an add a person was running in their local newspaper and for some reason this add got into "Google".  You can also check Cycle Trader dot com and see at any given point what someone is offering as well.....these are the tools at your disposal or anyone elses for that matter.....or you can obviously net work with your friends.....Also this 'forum" / "website" serves as a place for those who own these bikes to stay in communication as well....hopefully through time more and more will come here for communication....

In any given year I would say for each model/color you will have 3-4 opportunities to purchase one of these bikes....when I was tracking FXR's for my selection process I had about 20 bikes throughout the US that were for sale....for every state except for CA as I wasn't interested in a bike from CA. 

Every year the mileage on these bikes will go up as well....that's the normal way of things....unless an owner is keeping their bike as "art" in their garage which will make it difficult to negotiate with them most likely anyway....

What's my point......my point is it's the "frame" that makes these bikes so special....everything else that goes on them is of personal choice, ie: sheet metal "tin" color, engine color, one front rotor, two front rotors, laced wheels, mag wheels, drag handlebars, wide handlebars, leather bags, no leather bags, windshields, no windshields, shocks, about the only thing that begins to change the "ride" of an FXR is when one decides that they want to run a 180 or 200 tire on the rear, or slam the frame via shorter shocks and springs in the forks....

You could even pick a 1993 or 1994 FXR model bike and have a great selection....you will simply just have an older bike....

I will say however that the gearing of the 1999 FXR2's and FXR3's (I am not sure of the final gearing for the FXR4's) is fantastic at 2.925.  Earlier this year I did have a "debate" with myself about that....wondering if going to 3.37 gearing made any sense.....just like the 1993 FXR's have....but at the end of the day after careful analysis I determined @ least for myself that the 2.925 gearing is perfect for the weight and engine size of the bike for both mountain use and touring on flat highways.....

So that's why I keep suggesting George that you do a "grid" and figure out the features that you find most interesting or accepting for yourself and THEN make some decisions....

I just happened to find the most appreciation for the "arresting red" which is second in terms of volume made only to the FXR4 Yellow Pearl.  Which didn't make a difference to me because that's the one I desired most.... Although I must admit that my affinity for the FXR3 "emerald green" was quite high on my list, but my buddy owns that bike (well actually it's his wife's technically) and he told me when I was looking to purchase after he already had purchased the FXR3 emerald green that she didn't want another one around....since we would be "around" one another I honored that request....it's a very "smart" looking bike with all of the "black" with the "emerald green" misted into the black....but I really didn't care for the "Thunderstar" front and rear mag wheels as well as the "Thunderstar" sprocket.....so it really didn't take much for me to truly appreciate the "arresting red" FXR2 and at the end of the day as I have said before....that "hologram" pops like nothing else on the gas tank.....none of the bikes have this characteristic....So as you can see I am right back to talking about "personal" tastes....all of the bikes will perform the same....except for the FXR4 will brake a bit quicker with more responsiveness because of the upgraded brakes....other than that all of the bikes are the same....

How difficult will it be to find an FXR3 Candy Blue with Flames?  With a price of $11,000.00 and only 2,200 miles most likely in 2008 fairly difficult....and pragmatically impossible....and in the future, as I have tried to share as well as others here no one knows for sure....and that's all I am sure about....that I am totally unsure....

Regards,

"Classic"

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 06:32:31 PM by FXR2evo99 »

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

• CVO1: fxr4 screaming yellow
    • CVO2: fxr2 stone cold blue
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2008, 07:46:55 PM »

Lot of discussion here about favorite fxr model, as to the cvo's and value. Last post was very accurate and i agree with bulk of his feelings on the bikes.  The ride of these fxr's is unique and probably won't be duplicated in current selection of bikes.
 I've owned all 6 units in all color variations since they were introduced..and finally settled on the blue fxr3 as my favorite..and model which i currently own and ride.  I've been able to find friend of mine a blue twin to mine this winter and he rides it weekly. He currently has his fxr4 yellow unit for sale @ 11,500 here in Anniston, al. Only selling this bike because of getting blue fxr3.
If you keep your eyes open on several sites, they show up.  Harley dealers tend to be asking the highest prices for them, some are asking msrp for them w/ low miles or above.
I've had most success in finding fxr cvo's on ebay, and have search running all the time..on all 3 units. A blue fxr3 sold in last few months for 10,500...almost bought it myself at that price...to resell at later date..but timing wasn't right for me.
In our small town of Anniston al we have 3 blue fxr3's, couple of fxr3's in green, 2 yellow fxr4's, 1 tangerine fxr4 and no fxr2's that i know of. I've owned all but 2 of these..and folks who presently own them won't part w/ em. Pure joy to ride!
I've felt these bikes were best built of many models hd has to offer. Ride one when you get a chance...they handle well!
The closer you keep these bikes to stock the better, mine is back to stock including pipes. I own another hd bike purely to keep miles down on my fxr..because i ride every day.
Best advice i can give one is to buy the unit you can afford, with lowest miles and closeest to stock you can get..or put back to stock..if you are concerned about value.  If not concerned about resale value do what you want to it..and put smiles and miles on her.
If you to Sturgis this year you may see 1 or 2 of these there..and those folks know they have a unique bike..instead of the cookie cutter production bikes you see your self coming and going all the time.
1340 engine is bullit proof..i have friend who works for hd that has 1993 fxr convertable w/ 111,000 miles ..and rides with us almost every week.
Get one soon..at what you can afford..and enjoy the ride! You always can sell the one your riding  now when, a better color or version comes along.
The ride is the therapy..and pride of ownership!
Dave   hdfxr3

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2008, 07:58:24 PM »

. . . A blue fxr3 sold in last few months for 10,500...almost bought it myself at that price...to resell at later date..but timing wasn't right for me. . . .

Nice to hear from you, Dave!  Was that blue one on eBay the one in Kansas?  That did look like a helluva deal, and like you, I was d@mn tempted, but the Mrs. woulda had me out on the street for sure buying a 4th bike. :shocked2:

I appreciated your input when I was on the hunt for a blue flame 3 and you have given George, or anyone else looking for a CVO FXR, some sound advice in your post above. :2vrolijk_21:

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2008, 08:15:51 PM »

Thanks guys, I appriciate the advise and opinions. I believe I saw the 3 on e-bay with a buy it now price. I thought about it too, but no knowing much about them I just watch it go by. It went for a good price fast too.  Well, thanks again, George.

RedFXR2

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2008, 08:53:32 PM »

I've owned all 6 units in all color variations since they were introduced..and finally settled on the blue fxr3 as my favorite..and model which i currently own and ride.

Dave:  A long shot but when did you get your ble FXR3?  I bought my FXR2 in Raleigh, NC in the late spring of 2003.  Got it from an independent shop on consignment.  After that, maybe 6 months, I was in that same shop and he had a as-new blue FXR3 with something like 6 miles (or was it 60) on it.  Had it on consignment from a guy that bought it new and put it in a bubble in his basement.  It sold quick, and the shop owner told me that someone in Alabama had bought it over the phone (advertised in Cycle Trader) and had it shipped to hiim.  That wouldn't be you, would it?

In our small town of Anniston AL we have 3 blue fxr3's, couple of fxr3's in green, 2 yellow fxr4's, 1 tangerine fxr4 and no fxr2's that i know of.

Sounds like we need to have a CVO FXR rally in Anniston. :idea3:

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 08:57:32 PM by RedFXR2 »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2008, 09:25:12 PM »

. . .

Sounds like we need to have a CVO FXR rally in Anniston. :idea3:

Oh, he!! yeah! :2vrolijk_21: :bananarock: :huepfenjump3:

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

• CVO1: fxr4 screaming yellow
    • CVO2: fxr2 stone cold blue
« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2008, 10:22:41 PM »

My blue fxr3 i purchased from fellow in tenn. who had just relocated from fl. it had 3k miles on her when purchased, i think he had purchased it from collector. i watched it on ebay..did not make reserve, so i contacted him after listing and we worked out the details. it took me over 3 yrs of looking....i've noticed many of the fxr cvo's showing up of late..i guess the owners not rding them much..or are power hungry and moving up to newer bikes..who know's...just good opportunity for those of us who enjoy them to get em, more reasonable than the 20k or better dealers were getting back in 2000.  Dave

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2008, 08:15:49 AM »

GM gentleman, I just found my way back to this thread. I really have to learn how to use this site. Anyway, I think Tim said yesterday that when he was looking for his bike he didn't want a bike from california. Is there a reason? is it because of the emmission standards?  I might have located a fxr3 blue but it is in Calif.  They are asking alot. But owner seems like they want to sell and I told them my limit so is a wait and see. Is  there any reason not to  buy a California bike?

Thanks,
 George

RedFXR2

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2008, 08:33:25 AM »

Yes, there were emissions regs applied to California bikes, but to be honest, I don't know specifics about additional or undesireable equipment.  A member here (Where is Killjoy, anyway?) got his FXR4 in California and I remember him mentioning taking stuff off when he moved to FL.

On another topic, Blue FXR3's for sale, I stumbled across this one in Colorado.  Tim, go get it! ;D

http://www.motorcyclescan.com/1999_fxr3_harley_davidson_collectors_item-o28489-en.html

The ad is dated June 8, 2008 so maybe it's still there.  Asking $16K but you never know.

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2008, 08:40:41 AM »

Thanks Red, How can you read relpies to a post when it is just posted? I mean If you send a reply to something i just wrote, I recieve an e-mail then I have to log onto this site to read your reply. Is there any other way to know if someone has replied?? Thanks George

RedFXR2

« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2008, 08:44:20 AM »

What you are describing is the site's mechanism for new post notification.  You can set (or not) the trigger for notifying e-mails to you under your Profile.  You don't have to log in to read new posts, you can do that as a guest.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 24 queries.