Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: BOY do I feel stupid !!!  (Read 7227 times)

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
BOY do I feel stupid !!!
« on: August 04, 2008, 08:01:42 AM »

:-[So I was out riding with friends yesterday and I entered a right turn too hot causing the bike to go out from underneath me. I stayed with the bike trying to recover while it was on it's side and suffered some minor road rash on my right arm. The bike sustained some pretty decent damage on the entire right side damaging the outer and inner painted fairings, brake lever and grip, front crash bar and hwy peg, lower fairing, fender, foot board, leather tour pack, right side painted saddle bag, rear crash bar, tank, and some other areas. I was immediately able to pick the bike up and get it to my buddies house when I called the Police for a report. Now I am dreading the calls to the dealer and my insurance company. I am guessing my riding season is over with my CVO since most painted parts take 4-6 weeks from the MOCO, I think. I am guessing the dealer will want to wait to repair the bike even if the parts come in fairly quickly since they just ordered the engine campaign parts and it would be stupid to take the bike apart twice. I feel lucky I was not hurt worse but boy, I feel stupid !!! And this road rash hurts :'(

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: BOY do I feel stupid !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 08:05:37 AM »

It sucks but at least you are here to beeyatch about it...Get well soon and hope for a quick repair.   :)

Maybe buy a Ducati to go hot cornering on.  ;)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 08:09:09 AM »

What Abe Azztoots said except the part about the Ducati.  To ride & lean with plastic & look truly weird while doing it, a Beemer works better.

Glad you were not hurt too bad - sucks your bike is laid up for a month or more though.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 08:20:20 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear about that copout, but glad you're OK. Refreshing to hear someone not try to make excuses or blame someone else. We've all messed up before at one point or another. We learn from our mistakes, but admitting them is half the battle! :2vrolijk_21:

These bikes are amazingly resilient. Have the bike appraised and negotiate a settlement with your ins co. Then do a "temporary" repair while you wait for parts. You'll be amazed how well 200 MPH duct tape holds up! :o

I'm very serious here. Replace the bare minimum while you put all parts on order. Don't be embarrassed to ride with parts removed/taped up. You'll still be riding. Granted, you won't be setup up for trips, but you can still use the bike. Replace the handlebars if required, and anything else that affects the functionality of the bike. Remove or tape everything else up til your new parts come in. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 08:25:29 AM »

Aty least a duc is a v twin!   >:(

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 08:30:44 AM »

Glad your ok, thats always the main thing. Hope you and the bike heal soon!

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 08:37:24 AM »

Glad you're (mostly) OK.  The wound to the pride may take a while.  This sounds very similar to what Chief went through about a year ago and he decided to repaint a different color.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 08:47:48 AM »

Aty least a duc is a v twin!   >:(

Helps also to have a motorcycle school gift certificate when you get the keys to one.........kinda like some HD bikes that are all V-twins......  ;)
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 08:54:45 AM »

copout221:

This will sound like it's going to hurt, but it makes the rash heal quicker.

Wash the wounds with salt water, the sooner the better. First couple of applications are painfull, soothing aftrewards.

When they start to scab start slatherining on vitamin E, will also assist the healing process and leave less scars.

Most important... make sure you have no rock or debris in now, or it will be very painful until you have it removed down the road.

Buy yourself a lottery ticket!

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 09:31:07 AM »

Sorry to hear that. Glad you have no bad injuries. Will the insurance pay for the repairs on the bike?

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 10:40:01 AM »

I am glad to learn your physical injuries are relatively minor.  Keep your rash clean and you will be healed before you know it.

Don't feel stupid - things happen   ...just consider it a lesson learned, get your ride put back together and jump back on!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 10:58:24 AM »

copout221:

This will sound like it's going to hurt, but it makes the rash heal quicker.

Wash the wounds with salt water, the sooner the better. First couple of applications are painfull, soothing aftrewards.

When they start to scab start slatherining on vitamin E, will also assist the healing process and leave less scars.

Most important... make sure you have no rock or debris in now, or it will be very painful until you have it removed down the road.

Buy yourself a lottery ticket!

Murphy,

Thanks for the advice. I will try what you recommended. I have cleaned the wounds several times with basic soap and water (thay really hurts) and all the wounds look clean. Most of my arm only has abrasions except for my elbow which generated blood. I may head to the doctor today just to have him look at it and verify it will NOT get infected.

Thanks to everyone else for your support and suggestions. This is why I really love this forum !!!

My ego is the main thing that was hurt next to the bike and my arm. I have been riding motorcycles for almost 20 years and have attended several advanced schools including Harley's 2 week police motor school. I knew what I was doing as soon as I entered the turn and realized I was going too fast. There was a raised median seperating the north and southbound lanes which prevented me from taking the turn wide. I had no choice but to try to negotiate the turn at my speed without hitting my brakes or striking the median. Overall, I know this was my best decision after I realized I was going a bit too fast.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 11:34:34 AM »

It sucks that it happened.  But it does happen.  Since you're ok no one cares but your pride and a little rash.  And both of those will recover.  Riding a dinged up bike is a thing of honor (for awhile).  So screw it.  Ride it til parts again.  Like Howie said; duct tape is cool (and you can get it in red).

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 11:38:46 AM »

Sorry to hear, but glad you came out Ok.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 01:15:09 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear about that copout, but glad you're OK. Refreshing to hear someone not try to make excuses or blame someone else. We've all messed up before at one point or another. We learn from our mistakes, but admitting them is half the battle!

Yip, what Howie said. Take care of the rash and get her fixed up and back out in the wind. We learn by mistakes and are the better for it,  ego aside. Glad you were not seriously injured.  :2vrolijk_21:
Joe

2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 20 queries.