Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Things amateurs don't like....  (Read 6956 times)

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
Things amateurs don't like....
« on: August 09, 2008, 07:55:27 PM »

I don't like grooved roads!

And if grooved roads aren't bad enough...

I REALLY don't like grooved roads at higher elevations!

And when you finally think you've got it under control...

I HATE grooved roads at higher elevations with high winds!!!

JC, does California have grooved highways?  If so, do you have high winds?  Does your bike feel like you're gonna to get carried off the expressway or overpass?  Reminded me of that bridge in the Outerbanks!!
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

Sean M Cary

Re: Things amateurs don't like....
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 08:20:07 PM »

JC, does California have grooved highways?  If so, do you have high winds?  Does your bike feel like you're gonna to get carried off the expressway or overpass?  Reminded me of that bridge in the Outerbanks!!

They are redoing the main drag here in J'ville and when you hit that torn up/stripped pavement, it just steers you were ever the hell it wants to go, scares the chit out of me each time I have to ride it.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 08:26:33 PM »

They are redoing the main drag here in J'ville and when you hit that torn up/stripped pavement, it just steers you were ever the hell it wants to go, scares the chit out of me each time I have to ride it.

Kind of like riding over the Mackinac Bridge in the grid lane (due to construction) - in the rain - pulling the Bushtec...  Best advice is don't try to over-control it - don't fight it - just relax your grip and let it wander a bit...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Sean M Cary

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 08:28:48 PM »

Kind of like riding over the Mackinac Bridge in the grid lane (due to construction) - in the rain - pulling the Bushtec...  Best advice is don't try to over-control it - don't fight it - just relax your grip and let it wander a bit...   :2vrolijk_21:

yeah, still gives you the high pucker factor!  Not so bad on the KLR.

I did get the dreaded rear wheel steer with the SERK last week, hit some really bad truck bumps (like the road buckles from the heat) at about 65/70 and the rear started dancing all over the place.  Scared the crap out of me!

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 08:56:45 PM »

I don't like driving over the ruts or the scrapes, but nothing is scarier than hitting deep scrapes in the road and somehow managing to hit them dead-on and having to ride them out.  After about ONCE, I learned to avoid the heck out of them!!!

Like the radio though!  I got a few looks from people while listening to Gwen Stefani though  ::)

Only had one scary experience and that was making a right-hand turn onto a road that I had to take due to a detour in a construction zone at a intersection FILLED with gravel.  Somehow managed to keep the tires from sliding!  Still gives me the willies to think about it! 

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 09:07:31 PM »

When its time for tires change to the Elite 3's from Dunlop. They have a different tread pattern then the stock 402's that does not track in the rain grooves.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 12:18:57 AM »

V, we do have some gooved roads somewhere in Calif. I think.....but I couldn't tell you where.  I don't believe that our route takes us over any.  We're mostly doing two lane roads, not much freeways.  Wind......when I'm doing 80 mph there's 80 mph wind......when I'm doing 110, there's 110 mph winds. ;D  Sorry, couldn't resist.  Yes, we have our areas but again, I don't think we're taking any of those routes.

Sadunbar offered the best advice......when you git the gooved roads, the steel grid bridges or wind the best thing you can do is just stay relaxed and let the bike do it's little jig without fighting it.  Your natural balance instincts will prevail and you'll be fine on the other end.  The biggest mistake that people make is trying to muscle the steering, fighting what balance and counterbalance the motorcycle has to do to keep upright in uneven conditions.  If you do it for long (riding in the wind) and you don't stay relaxed, you'll be very fatigued at the end of the ride.

On this note, I viewed both "Ride Like a Pro V" and "Surviving The Mean Streets" today.  I've been riding since the 70's but there were a couple of new (to me) things in there and a number of things that just "reminded" me of things that I've just kind of forgotten.  I recommend both of these videos to you and to everybody else, too.  He speaks to a number of things like riding in a pack, steering and countersteering, riding in the friction zone, U-turns and a number of other things that a lot of people consider a challenge.  Do yourself a favor and get these videos then practice, practice, practice. 

The only thing that I disagree with in both of these videos.......he talks about if the front or rear wheel lock up in a skid.  In the front, he says to release and reapply right away to free up the locked brake to keep control.  On the rear wheel brake lock up he says to just keep it locked up and you can control the bike.  I totally disagree.  There are to many factors that come into play for the average street rider to be able to keep control of his bike if either wheel locks up.  I say release it and reapply, the same as the front.  Curious what other long term riders (and street racers) will have to say about this?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 12:34:38 AM »

When its time for tires change to the Elite 3's from Dunlop. They have a different tread pattern then the stock 402's that does not track in the rain grooves.

Have the Metz 880's, rides much better in the grooves
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

nashalynn

• -:¦:-
  • Senior CVO Member
  • # 5459

• CVO1: Hers: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: His: 2009 SERG
    • CVO3: Extra? 2001 SERG
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 07:15:34 AM »

The only thing that I disagree with in both of these videos.......he talks about if the front or rear wheel lock up in a skid.  In the front, he says to release and reapply right away to free up the locked brake to keep control.  On the rear wheel brake lock up he says to just keep it locked up and you can control the bike.  I totally disagree.  There are to many factors that come into play for the average street rider to be able to keep control of his bike if either wheel locks up.  I say release it and reapply, the same as the front.  Curious what other long term riders (and street racers) will have to say about this?
[/quote]

I agree - release and reapply, least that's what has always worked for me, only had a few times when this had to be done. Now I have ABS brakes, who knows what will happen now, hope I remember not to release!

Maggie Valley NC (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
Ribfest (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
New River Gorge (2010)

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 07:39:33 AM »

I was impressed by the number of roads w/ rain grooves in Cali. The E3s did a fantastic job of NOT wandering w/ them as opposed to the 402s. So far I'm a big fan of the E3s.

When I was an instructor I always taught, and the class always did, the rear wheel straight line skid. Absolutely right that there's many variables but the ability to skid the rear wheel is a relatively simple skill to learn and use. Just remember, DON'T LOOK DOWN.

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 08:15:41 AM »

I agree - release and reapply, least that's what has always worked for me, only had a few times when this had to be done. Now I have ABS brakes, who knows what will happen now, hope I remember not to release!

Nasha, how long have you been riding?  It sounds like you speak from experience...

V

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 08:18:16 AM »

Wind......when I'm doing 80 mph there's 80 mph wind......when I'm doing 110, there's 110 mph winds. ;D  Sorry, couldn't resist. 

:lolk:  Too bad they don't have a smiley for a smart@$$!

hogasm

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 08:41:30 AM »

V, Its a good thing you did not look closely at the Oregon Inlet Bridge. Those were not groves in the road.......they were holes.......some the size of softballs :nervous:

The wind can get thing a little interesting there also :2vrolijk_21:

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 08:49:41 AM »

I was glad when they closed I-40 in Knoxville to repairs!  There were holes in that road that I swear your whol tire would drop into.  It was interesting driving a car trying to dodge them and on every trip I always thought to myself that I was glad I wasn't on a motorcycle!  Hit one of those craters, you'd bottom out!

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 08:50:25 AM »

Have the Metz 880's, rides much better in the grooves

Had new Metzlers on it when I bought it! 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 25 queries.