Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: DOG OWNERS...........HELP!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 3174 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: DOG OWNERS...........HELP!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 09:17:12 PM »

This is our Houdini, Harley...........so named before we got him.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 09:39:40 PM »

RJ,
   Thanks for the heads up........I'll try the border blaster.  If it doesn't stop them,  I do have a couple of 125 Kilowatt generators in the garage that will certainly get their attention.  May not make it though. OOPS!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

_Beags

BTW,  who do I talk to about the run next year up north......Suzy is really geeked to go.
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 09:46:31 PM »

Hey Beags

Hows life without your Buddy Brian?

We miss him not being on the site.

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 09:52:06 PM »

SB,
   BB is up to his ass in aligators between work,  family, home, kids, me......He's doing just fine,  but won't be home for a few more weeks.  He's in Maine building pools,  bathrooms, resorts, boats.......NOT.  He's up taking care of his mom.  Too much to get in to,  he'll be back soon.  Thanks for asking about me!!!!!LMFAO ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

_Beags :cherry:
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 10:04:59 PM »

SB,
   BB is up to his ass in aligators between work,  family, home, kids, me......He's doing just fine,  but won't be home for a few more weeks.  He's in Maine building pools,  bathrooms, resorts, boats.......NOT.  He's up taking care of his mom.  Too much to get in to,  he'll be back soon.  Thanks for asking about me!!!!!LMFAO ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

_Beags :cherry:

We all miss him!

As for asking about you, I know your ok, I can read your post!

:2vrolijk_21:      :2vrolijk_21:      :2vrolijk_21:      :2vrolijk_21:      :2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 10:08:07 PM »

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get the animal electric fence (the low voltage type)  Single strand of aluminum wire...put it around the perimeter of the top of the fence.  It does require an electrical outlet, and it pulses a DC current to ground.  It doesn't hurt them (I've tried it myself) but does get their attention.  It only takes a couple of times and they get the picture.  I have two Terriers (Terra...they will dig out) and have one of these around approximately 600' of fencing.  They will touch it a couple of times to see what it is, and then you can basically unplug it.  Cost?  Less than 100 bucks for the kit.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 10:40:53 PM »

duct tape it into there mouths leave it for a couple of hours,

You got to be kidding  :nixweiss:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 10:53:50 PM »

RJ,
   Thanks for the heads up........I'll try the border blaster.  If it doesn't stop them,  I do have a couple of 125 Kilowatt generators in the garage that will certainly get their attention.  May not make it though. OOPS!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

_Beags

BTW,  who do I talk to about the run next year up north......Suzy is really geeked to go.

Both of our boxers are rescue as well.  Great to see so many homes with rescue dogs.

The Western GTG in Hood River Oregon is at the link below.  Magoo and Roosters are heading it up.  Hotel info is on the link.

Looking forward to your being there with the lovely misses......................

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=23713.0

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 10:59:33 PM »

All,
    They get plenty of play time.  Suzy takes them for  4-5 mile walk EVERY FREAKIN' NIGHT.......EVEN WHEN I MAKE IT HOME FOR CHANGE (from travel,  not my other girlfriends house....I wish). They go to the beach at least once each weekend (for a long swim......walk.....run.....about 3 hours, you do the math). I don't know what to do with the little guy.  He's independent as hell,  might have some cat in him......but still lovable. I just ordered some rollers for the fence from some outfit.....if these don't work,  he get's the S&W .40cal.

_Beags
Having 4 GSP's and 2 now they are unbelievable as far as energy and we they get bored I think they could tear the complete house down at times.

First the exercise the dogs are getting should be enough, but it may be done the wrong way.....4 or 5 miles a day should do it, but if they are walking you this will not work.
They need to be in the heal position and not allowed to explore or determine their route. They cannot be in control at any time on the walks...they cannot play or be a alpha dog at any time....
every decision made has to come from the Alpha (you) no exceptions....once that is established other behaviors will become easier to change.
Shock collars can work but the training is not on the dogs but the owners....
once you decide what behaviors need changing, you cannot allow any (Any) behavior to exist with out swift and proportional correction. shock collars can work against you if
if you cannot correct behavior without the collars on or charged. Noise works well with the collars so corrections can be made with out the collars.
This process is time consuming but if you are consistant it will work, most people just do not have the patience to follow through.

hope this helps

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 11:08:34 PM »

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get the animal electric fence (the low voltage type)  Single strand of aluminum wire...put it around the perimeter of the top of the fence.  It does require an electrical outlet, and it pulses a DC current to ground.  It doesn't hurt them (I've tried it myself) but does get their attention.  It only takes a couple of times and they get the picture.  I have two Terriers (Terra...they will dig out) and have one of these around approximately 600' of fencing.  They will touch it a couple of times to see what it is, and then you can basically unplug it.  Cost?  Less than 100 bucks for the kit.
We used one before with great success. Then unplug after awhile. Had a german shephard would back up if you just showed her a piece of the wire.

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 11:33:57 PM »

All great solutions.

I agree with Rob get the invisible fence they work.  If you go the way TCnBahm suggest and go to lowes you can save some money.  I had a buddy that bought one from Lowes and his dogs did not go near the boundary with his the voltage gradually went up as they got closer to the perimeter you set.  He put flags up too but I think the dogs felt the shock and that is what kept them in.

I also dated a girl that used a shock collar on her schnauzer - she only had to shock her dog and give a no command a few times and the behavior corrected.  Dogs are smart when the dog would go out she would put the shock collar on (but she would not have to use it) but if she forgot to put the collar on it was inevitable she would be outside chasing the dog - It was funny as chit how it used to ruffle her feathers.

I also agree with FLHTCUSE3 as pet owners we have to be vigilante in disciplining our animals - In almost all situations if there is a behavior problem it is because we have not stuck to our guns when it comes to discipline -- I speak from experience my dog hardly eats her dog food because I feed her off my plate, she sleeps with me, when I worked in an office she sat behind my desk,  before I met my wife and we had children I was going to go cross country on the bike for a week, hell I was going to buy a pet tourpak for her (of course it was chrome accented!) and she goes almost everywhere I go.  I just got back from a ride and I took her with me, she has been in 9 states and Canada.  I had to pay extra to have her stay in the cabin I just rented and always have to pay $75 each way when she flys.  Naw she isn't spoiled.  HA!  The truth is she is part of my family and I Love her so sometimes being disciplined is hard to do.

Boxers are Great dogs my brother has one but the breed does have ALOT of energy.

You know maybe there are pissed off you cut their balls off  :'( :-X :-X!

Good Luck My Friend ;D
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 11:39:24 PM »

This is our Houdini, Harley...........so named before we got him.

Beautiful dog Rob.  Nice deer too!
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 08:02:46 AM »

I've got Pet Stop invisible fence for our Lab.  I was against it.  I thought we could train our dog to stick around.  I lost the argument and glad I did.  She stops chasing a ball thrown over the boundary.  She sits and watches it until someone gets it.  You can fence in as much or little of the yard as you want.  We did the whole yard and left a 20 foot cushion to the road so walkers, runners, and bikers wouldn't be as nervous of a barking dog with no visible barrier.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2008, 08:49:18 AM »

Story......
One of my GSP's A male was as hard headed as they come and he found one day that he could break the electric fence after chasing another dog out of our yard. Once he discovered the momentary shock was worth the freedom he would break on a regular basis and this caused all kinds of issues. (once they learn they can break the fence it is all over unless you retrain)
I hunt so I had training remote collars also, but that required me to watch him 24/7 when he was in the yard. That was not working, he knew when I was watching and never broke when I was around (bastard!). I walk Perimeter with him and tried to get him to cross so I could correct but he would not. I got so frustrated that I decided that drastic measures were in deed called for, so I took my bitches collar off her and his collar off his neck and joined then together around his hind quarters so the shock collar was in deed in direct contact with his balls. I did not know if this would work, but it sure would get my attention. It was not even 1/2 hour before I heard this most ungodly scream from the back yard and ran out to see what had happened and there in the middle of the yard was him sitting licking his balls. At first I felt really bad, but then remembered how I got to this point. He did not move from that spot for over an hour and I guessed he finally forgot why he was just sitting there and went about his business, but he never crossed that line again.
He was a great dog (no longer with us) but a hard head, I would take him hunting (pheasant) and those birds around here are few and smart and they would hide in the thickest of briar patches, I wondered how the hell the birds actually got in there it was so thick, but that Dog of mine would tear into those thickets and get those birds to run. He would come out bloody (he did not care), I had always wondered if he got hurt bad enough and could not get out, how the hell would I get in there to get him out (I would have figured something out) but I must say I was ill prepared for such an endeavor. That dog would do anything I asked him to do with the exception of staying in the yard, until retraining went to an extreme. I have had many dogs, but none was like him, my oldest son when he was 5 would get on his back and ride him bareback till he fell off and that dog loved it. Not many times like those get repeated and so you cherish the events.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:28:32 AM by FLHTCUSE3 »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 09:09:39 AM »

That's funny right there!  :D 

I think you got his attention.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 25 queries.