Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: New Hope, PA noise ordinance?  (Read 6064 times)

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
Re: New Hope, PA noise ordinance?
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 09:24:43 AM »

Wow Jerry,

I can only guess the flack you'll get for that!  Claiming that anyone should tone down their pipes is heresy in the biker world.  Of course I've been a heretic my whole life so I guess I join you and catch some flack.

I've always felt that the right to stretch your arm ends where my nose begins.  Laws like helemt laws and seat belt laws that tell me how to live in an area that does not effect others are out of line.  And for those who claim a burden on society if I end up a veggie, pull the plug and save the cash!  And BTW, I wear a seatbelt in a cage and a helmet, long pants, gloves, over the ankle boots and armoured riding jacket.

But loud pipes do effect me.  I don't like to hear them while sleeping, or sitting out in the yard in a residential neighborhood.  Particularly, since most of the yahoos in my area who put them on don't seem to able to tune the damn bike afterwards and it crackles and spits and backfires.  Instead of sounding cool I think they're dweebs and I laugh at them.

So let's go to the "Loud pipes save lives" story.  I had straight pipes for a time on my '94 Sporty.  No Baffles.  LOUD.  Used to run it up about 60 and turn it off 1/4 mile from my house and coast in to avoid pissing off my neighbors.  I know what it is to ride a bike with loud pipes.  On 4 different occasions with loud pipes I came up on the left side of a car, who hearing the noise of my bike, looked over their left shoulder to see where the noise was coming from.  Mission accomplished, right?  Not quite.  As they looked over their left shoulder they drifted left.  Into my lane.  Of course some of you will now yell at me, "But how many times has someone pulled into your lane without looking?".  Quite a few.  Both with and without the loud pipes.  So "Loud Pipes Save Lives!"... I say Bullchit!  You have stories where they did, I have stories where they almost caused an issue.  It's alert riding that saves lives.

So here's the real problem.  Wheres the balance? Bikers argue vehemetly against laws restricting loud pipes.  Meanwhile the idiot like I was with the straight pipes, or the dipchit kid with the NOPI tuner car or crotch rocket that sounds like a pissed off bumble bee, or the car audio system that will cause ears to bleed (but still sounds awful) have all caused everyone to over react.  And now those that want a resonable pipe that gives some performance increase are going to pay the price. 

And you will pay the price... It's too late to stop it now.  Don't believe me.  My son now has to wear a uniform to PUBLIC school becuase too many parents let their girls come to school dressed like hookers... I'm talking young teens who would make the cheerleader thread here.  Guys dressed like gang bangers with their underwear 12 inches over the top of their pants and the crotch at the ankles.  This is a rural school not the city.  Some tried to say "Hey let's tone it down a bit here, but a few threatened to sue and we all ignored it, and now its WAY overboard in the other direction.  Colored polos without any logos and kaki pants, no jeans or t-shirts.  PA just adopted a No Smoking in ANY Restaurant or Bar that get's more then 20% of it's revenue from food.  Because the smokers wouldn't give at all 30 years ago, the non-smokers pushed til it's now more accepted to do a line of coke in a bar then light a smoke (I'm a non-smoker who believes in smokers rights).

So for all the years that you've not pushed bikers to be reasonable in their pipes, you brough it on your self (ME INCLUDED).  Now we'll be lucky not to all have to sound like GoldWingers in the next decade.  :'(

Flame Away... I can take it.  My wife just bought some very nice stuff in New Hope a few weeks ago.  They have some very nice adult clothing stores in New Hope.  Hate the town, over priced beyond all recognition, but dang do they have some hot clothes for the girls.  So I'm mutch to happy to be upset by the venting.  :-* :D ;D

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2008, 09:43:15 AM »

My pipes are louder than the damn horn is. Gets more attention than a horn too. By the time they realize it's only a lil ole motorcycle, I'm long gone! I try to be mindful of quiet neighborhoods, but my bike's only part of all the damn racket in the world today. Tractor trailers w/engine brakes, loud stereos, garbage trucks.......we can go on and on. My bike tested best with the pipes on my bike, so they stay. If you run around just making noise in the hopes of wreaking havoc, then you should get what you deserve. But there's more important things to worry about than the brief passing sound of my bike. And believe me, it's brief when I pass em! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2008, 09:49:28 AM »

I do not want to be seen as defending them (for I do not agree with them) looking at my above post I will not spend 1 dime in that town.......
Last time 15 of us went up there for lunch on a Sunday and we left never to return which was about 3 months ago

had no place to park and police giving tickets out...we left

but the way the town is basically 1 road in and out on main st

and because it is nestled between the canal and the river, there is not much room.

houses very tight and close to the street.

lots of restaurants and outdoor cafe's and the thought of enjoying a leisurely lunch with hundreds of screaming bikes only 15 feet away may ruin some of the appeal.

Now I must say I did not see any loud offenders, but that does not matter to them.

They do not want any loud bikes even if they are not doing anything.

Funny thing I have never seen them pull over Hot Rod Cars, but I guess they would?

Biggest problem I see with this town is they cannot handle the traffic and you just sit there trying to get out.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 11:18:12 AM by FLHTCUSE3 »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2008, 09:53:24 AM »

So based on what you say J-Carr, it's our fault because some dumb kid full of piss and vinegar ran around with loud pipes late at night.

I guess next thing is banning alcohol completely because of drunk drivers killing innocent people.

I can't figure out which side you are.  On one hand you say bikes with loud pipes bother others so it's OK to stop them.  On the other hand you say it's OK for smokers to smoke in public and none smokers should stop whining about second hand smoke.   :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:56:02 AM by hunter »
Lack of money is the source of all evils.

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2008, 10:16:37 AM »

I agree with Hoist, if your just passing through the brief noise one hears as the bike flys by should not be a problem.
If your hot roding up and down the main drag or up and down a quite street late at night, or early Saturday or Sunday morning then you are a problem

Jo Mo NYC

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2008, 10:18:40 AM »

So based on what you say J-Carr, it's our fault because some dumb kid full of piss and vinegar ran around with loud pipes late at night.

I guess next thing is banning alcohol completely because of drunk drivers killing innocent people.

I can't figure out which side you are.  On one hand you say bikes with loud pipes bother others so it's OK to stop them.  On the other hand you say it's OK for smokers to smoke in public and none smokers should stop whining about second hand smoke.   :nixweiss:

What I say is that the excessively loud pipes that some bikers have used disrespectfully for years are finally coming back to haunt us.  And instead of saying the truth, which is that straight pipes shouldn't be used and we should all criticize those that rev the hell out of their engines with loud pipes most yell "Loud pipes save lives".  It's BS.  And because of an unwillingness to be reasonable it's now going to swing so far in the other direction that we ALL will suffer.  I don't want to see performance exhaust systems banned, but for god's sake... If you say anything about pipes it's like making fun of mohommad to an islamic jihadist.  Personally, I think it's too late. The government has dug it's teeth into us now and wont stop shaking until we're all stuck with factory exhaust.  Happy medium.  Sounds like you like loud pipes so you want them to back off and go away.  But don't like second hand smoke.  So that' OK.  Many of us react to our personal opinions and how it effects us.  I don't smoke so go ahead and make it illeagal to smoke.  Yippeee!  No more waiting for a table in the non-smoking section.  Ummm, but now they want to take away my right to eat a Big Mac in the non smoking restaurant... Hey, wait a minute.  Same thing with the pipes.  Most of us don't really mind it, within reason.  And those that are out of reason, we do nothing about... But soon those that don't care about pipes. Those that don't ride, will make the decision for us.  And it will too late.  Because non of us would stand up and stop those from being unreasonable.  Straight pipes are bad.  We should've put peer pressure on those that used them to stop (my self included).  We didn't and now someone else will make the decision and it will be way too easy for them to just eliminate all of them.  Don't think so?  Ask a smoker if thirty years ago when we they started banning smoking in government buildings if it would ever get to this point.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2008, 10:24:34 AM »

More and more restrictions on everything. Where does it stop. Go back to the constitution and live and let live! You don't like something, don't do it, or ignore it. Everybody's now worried about other people's business. Why don't people just mind their own business and worry about their own lives! Not nearly enough of that going on! How far you want it to go people!!! Like our founding father's intended, Every Man's got a right to party!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2008, 10:30:51 AM »

:carrot:  :jalapeno:  :pineapple:  :pepper:  :orange:  :mango:  :bananarock:  :drink:  :drink:  :drink:

I like the way you look at things  :2vrolijk_21:

Jo Mo  :coolblue:

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2008, 10:32:02 AM »

My pipes are pretty loud, but you have to use some common sense! When I'm out early in the am, or late at night, I try to hit that sweet spot in the RPM range where the pipes just purr when in a neighborhood. I hate it when someone comes roaring though my neighborhood at 1:00am WOT!

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2008, 10:39:06 AM »

More and more restrictions on everything. Where does it stop. Go back to the constitution and live and let live! You don't like something, don't do it, or ignore it. Everybody's now worried about other people's business. Why don't people just mind their own business and worry about their own lives! Not nearly enough of that going on! How far you want it to go people!!! Like our founding father's intented, Every Man's got a right to party!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Sure Howie,

And I'm sure if that party wakes you up every night you're going to smile and say "party on dude!"  Or maybe you'll fight fire with fire and at 6:00 AM when that party's over you'll fire up the Pro Street bike and wake 'em back.  Good for you!  Except in the real world, the other neighbors out number you and will complain and the Government will get involved and it'll all go to hell, or one of you will get pissed off and shoot the other one.  I don't like it, but it's what a happenning.  Look at the news.  Look at what they've done with the anti smoking laws, the school dress codes, etc, etc.

There's more non bikers out there then there our of us.  They win.  We can fight yell scream and threaten to vote for the other guy.  But they know that most people have other issues and this one will not cost them enoguh votes so they placate the whiners.

I say be reasonable and work with them.  Straight pipes are bad for performance on anything except the drag strip.  That's why we used to call 'em drag pipes.  Ok, so if you street race you give up a few pony's but you gain a better ride the rest of the time.  But because we refused to give an inch, they're going to take a yard.  If you think I'm wrong, fine.  I don't care if they make factory exhause mandatory or let us have drag pipes for all.  It doesn't effect me.  Nor does smoking.  School dress only because I had to by a different ward robe for my kid.

But sooner or later this refusal to work together and EVERYONE on BOTH SIDES give a little will come after something I do care about.  I think a lot of the readers on this site care about the exhaust issue and I feel bad for them, because I found the majority to be reasonable.  But they'll suffer because a few people think it's not a big deal to fly around with open pipes and the motor reved up.  After all it's only a few seconds til your gone... And a few more for the next guy, and a few more for the next guy...

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2008, 10:55:51 AM »

Sure Howie,

And I'm sure if that party wakes you up every night you're going to smile and say "party on dude!"  Or maybe you'll fight fire with fire and at 6:00 AM when that party's over you'll fire up the Pro Street bike and wake 'em back.  Good for you!  Except in the real world, the other neighbors out number you and will complain and the Government will get involved and it'll all go to hell, or one of you will get pissed off and shoot the other one.  I don't like it, but it's what a happenning.  Look at the news.  Look at what they've done with the anti smoking laws, the school dress codes, etc, etc.

There's more non bikers out there then there our of us.  They win.  We can fight yell scream and threaten to vote for the other guy.  But they know that most people have other issues and this one will not cost them enoguh votes so they placate the whiners.

I say be reasonable and work with them.  Straight pipes are bad for performance on anything except the drag strip.  That's why we used to call 'em drag pipes.  Ok, so if you street race you give up a few pony's but you gain a better ride the rest of the time.  But because we refused to give an inch, they're going to take a yard.  If you think I'm wrong, fine.  I don't care if they make factory exhause mandatory or let us have drag pipes for all.  It doesn't effect me.  Nor does smoking.  School dress only because I had to by a different ward robe for my kid.

But sooner or later this refusal to work together and EVERYONE on BOTH SIDES give a little will come after something I do care about.  I think a lot of the readers on this site care about the exhaust issue and I feel bad for them, because I found the majority to be reasonable.  But they'll suffer because a few people think it's not a big deal to fly around with open pipes and the motor reved up.  After all it's only a few seconds til your gone... And a few more for the next guy, and a few more for the next guy...

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Man, you're all over the place on this. We're not talking drag pipes here. We're not talking about partying in front of my house, etc. Live and let live includes being mindful and respectful of others. We're responsible for our own actions. Malicious or disrespectful behavior becomes accountable at some point. But beyond that, no one should tell me how to live my life! That's why this country is THE GREATEST ON EARTH!!!

Less government and more personal responsibility will go a long way!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2008, 11:10:53 AM »

Loud pipes and party is nothing but excuse for more revenue.  Did you know the same town has car show every year and many muscle cars show up there with loud pipes but no one bothers them.  It's all because more and more people ride bikes now because of gas prices so the revenue used to come from cars has to come from bikers pocket now.  It is the government's oldest bull chit to blame it on people and make them feel like they did it or doing to themselves. They put restriction on gun purchase and yes they stopped a small number of (stupid) criminals from buying guns from store at the expense of milions of honest gun owners (oh chit started a fire again, didn't I) and made it look like it's our fault and NRA is responsible for school shootings and what not.  How many criminals do you know that would go to a gun shop and buy a legal gun and register it in their name?

I better stop before I say something to offend someone or regret later ... :confused5:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 11:13:03 AM by hunter »
Lack of money is the source of all evils.

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2008, 11:27:05 AM »

Man, you're all over the place on this. We're not talking drag pipes here. We're not talking about partying in front of my house, etc. Live and let live includes being mindful and respectful of others. We're responsible for our own actions. Malicious or disrespectful behavior becomes accountable at some point. But beyond that, no one should tell me how to live my life! That's why this country is THE GREATEST ON EARTH!!!

Less government and more personal responsibility will go a long way!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

We are talking drag pipes here or those with similar noise levels.  Because I saw a bike go through New Hope with drag pipes in a lower gear then needed.  And it disturbed most everyone.  And no one says anything to that guy.  For the most part if we say anything we get picked apart by the Loud Pipes Save Lives crowd.  Go ahead.  Keep ignoring it.  Maybe you're the guy who has the loud pipes who never runs it open who always shows respect for the homes he's driving by.  But do you stand up and say knock it off to the guy at a light reving the chit out of his bike with loud pipes or screamin through a 25 mph zone in first gear tachin' 3k?  If you're riding with that guy do say "cool it?"

Here's my point so I'm not all over the place:

Who's taking personal responsibilty?  A few of us.  Certainly not all of us and I'd argue not the majority of us based on what I saw and heard in Milwaukee and my own neighborhood.

Who's getting pissed off?  A lot of the non biker crowd who are gettting disturbed. Right or wrong, they are pissed.

Who's going to suffer?  All of us bikers.  Because they are now going to pass laws since many did not take personal responsibilty.

So why, since you and I agree that personal responsibilty is the answer that best suits all of us are we arguing this point?  Because I'm willing to stand up and say" "Knock it the hell off.  You don't sound cool.  You sound obnoxious.  You are disturbing those around you.  And when they get pissed off at your actions it will effect me and they will take my right to have a high performance exhaust installed on my bike that has a reasonable noise level."

And BTW Howie, I don't mean you... I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting anyone on this site and don't know whose running loud and obnoxious.  I mean the person who is cracking the throttle with a an extremely loud exhause while riding in a 25 mile hour residential street at 1:00 in the morning and NOT SHOWING ANY PERSONAL RESPONSIBILTY.

So you don't want to say anything to those or you want to be one of those... Fine.  America.  Your choice.  And the elected officials do have the option to act in what they determine is the best interest of the majority.  And unfortuneatly for you, if they do what I think they're going to, Cybil is gonna wear a muffle or you're gonna get chased alot.

I hate to see that.  Well the muffle anyway, I bet you'd put on a good chase seen, my friend!

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2008, 11:41:58 AM »

We are talking drag pipes here or those with similar noise levels.  Because I saw a bike go through New Hope with drag pipes in a lower gear then needed.  And it disturbed most everyone.  And no one says anything to that guy.  For the most part if we say anything we get picked apart by the Loud Pipes Save Lives crowd.  Go ahead.  Keep ignoring it.  Maybe you're the guy who has the loud pipes who never runs it open who always shows respect for the homes he's driving by.  But do you stand up and say knock it off to the guy at a light reving the chit out of his bike with loud pipes or screamin through a 25 mph zone in first gear tachin' 3k?  If you're riding with that guy do say "cool it?"

Here's my point so I'm not all over the place:

Who's taking personal responsibilty?  A few of us.  Certainly not all of us and I'd argue not the majority of us based on what I saw and heard in Milwaukee and my own neighborhood.

Who's getting pissed off?  A lot of the non biker crowd who are gettting disturbed. Right or wrong, they are pissed.

Who's going to suffer?  All of us bikers.  Because they are now going to pass laws since many did not take personal responsibilty.

So why, since you and I agree that personal responsibilty is the answer that best suits all of us are we arguing this point?  Because I'm willing to stand up and say" "Knock it the hell off.  You don't sound cool.  You sound obnoxious.  You are disturbing those around you.  And when they get pissed off at your actions it will effect me and they will take my right to have a high performance exhaust installed on my bike that has a reasonable noise level."

And BTW Howie, I don't mean you... I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting anyone on this site and don't know whose running loud and obnoxious.  I mean the person who is cracking the throttle with a an extremely loud exhause while riding in a 25 mile hour residential street at 1:00 in the morning and NOT SHOWING ANY PERSONAL RESPONSIBILTY.

So you don't want to say anything to those or you want to be one of those... Fine.  America.  Your choice.  And the elected officials do have the option to act in what they determine is the best interest of the majority.  And unfortuneatly for you, if they do what I think they're going to, Cybil is gonna wear a muffle or you're gonna get chased alot.

I hate to see that.  Well the muffle anyway, I bet you'd put on a good chase seen, my friend!

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Agree with you on saying something about unecessary and obnoxious behavior. I call people assholes to their face all the time. And it's NOT JUST BIKERS!!! Matter of fact, it's much less with bikers!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2008, 12:03:19 PM »

Matter of fact, it's much less with bikers!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Amen Brother!  It's a few that ruin it for everyone.  And I proudly wear a patch on my vest that says Gunuine Made In U.S.A. Asshole.  Helps to remind me not to be afraid to stand up and be one when needed to those that are bigger ones then me!

And Hunter,

you're right.  It's of course about revenue.  But there are a lot more bikers riding through that town on any given day then Hot Rods.  So the bikers are the most visable target.  But make no mistake, because of the behavior of a few, the police have carte blanche to go after all of us to get that revenue.  If we all behaved, and the police hassled us and we left, the town would complain about the perceived loss of revenue.  Since the perception is that the loud bikers are driving away the nice gay and lesbian community that frequents that town we're costing them revenue.  So the police can drive us away and get revenue.  The stores think they're keeping more revenue by driving us away and from their viewpoint, everybody but the bikers win.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 20 queries.