Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: fly by wire throttle dead spot  (Read 9385 times)

popper

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
fly by wire throttle dead spot
« on: September 05, 2008, 11:52:20 PM »

My throttle has a terrible dead spot or lag time coming off of idle. I have complained to the dealer about it and thier response was that it seams normal to them. My bike has a SERT on it. I talked to a guy at a dealer durring Harly's 105th. He sells power commander and tunes them on a moble dyno when he installs. He told me that the power commander would fix this and that the SERT does not work well with the fly by wire throttle. Anyone else have any experience with this? Thanks.
Keep your knees to the breeze

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
Re: fly by wire throttle dead spot
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 07:19:06 AM »

Yeah, since day one I was kinda unhappy with the throttle response. It is very obvious to some and unknown to an equal amount of others.

I have a SERT, a CAM package with an aftermarket alpha N mentor fine-tuner (although I have still not had a tune at 7,000 miles plus) & RH True Duals. I was told by more than one tech that this is inherent to the 08 models and a remedy is due soon.... So I buy some of this bull, but the remedy is out there...A Jims 124" is usually the cure. lol

I am due for the tuner who is getting trained on the dyno for the 08' 110" and I wait patiently for better throttle response.

Mike K
kona76

FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 08:28:07 AM »

My throttle has a terrible dead spot or lag time coming off of idle. I have complained to the dealer about it and thier response was that it seams normal to them. My bike has a SERT on it. I talked to a guy at a dealer durring Harly's 105th. He sells power commander and tunes them on a moble dyno when he installs. He told me that the power commander would fix this and that the SERT does not work well with the fly by wire throttle. Anyone else have any experience with this? Thanks.
First thing I noticed. Asked dealer obligatory questions regarding problem. Got typical bs answer. I'm still looking for a "fix".

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 09:28:55 AM »

My throttle has a terrible dead spot or lag time coming off of idle. I have complained to the dealer about it and thier response was that it seams normal to them. My bike has a SERT on it. I talked to a guy at a dealer durring Harly's 105th. He sells power commander and tunes them on a moble dyno when he installs. He told me that the power commander would fix this (Bull Chit) and that the SERT does not work well with the fly by wire throttle. Anyone else have any experience with this? Thanks.

Don't believe it.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 10:26:45 AM »

My throttle has a terrible dead spot or lag time coming off of idle. I have complained to the dealer about it and their response was that it seams normal to them. My bike has a SERT on it. I talked to a guy at a dealer during Harley's 105th. He sells power commander and tunes them on a Mobile dyno when he installs. He told me that the power commander would fix this and that the SERT does not work well with the fly by wire throttle. Anyone else have any experience with this? Thanks.

I used to have this issue. After an attempt to install and tune a PCIII i was told by the dyno wrench "my bike" was not liking the PC and that PC told him that the PC is "vehicle specific" so I wait for a Super Sert. The tune they gave me was a total POS. I had to be at 17 to 1900 rpm just to pull out-feathering the clutch at every traffic light in Seattle with the hills is a PITA! All the same crap you're hearing-
Can't tune the 08 because of the fly by wire
true duals cause the problems
yada yada yada

Springer from this sight chatted with me for over 3 hours one night and together via cell phone he sent me a SSERT map that he had from a bike he had tuned with similar setup and voila!

No throttle crap anymore- bike is 100% improved in ridability and we did nothing to the fly by wire-exhaust or anything else. Just tweaked the map!

A little off to the original question and I have been there and believe the issue described has little to do with the fly by wire.

Ride Safe! :coolblue:

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

anglia48

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 11:15:13 AM »

I also seem to have a dead spot just off idle on my 08 SERK. THought it was normal, just like everything else. Running Reinhart true dual, SE air cleaner and SERT. Bike will be going in this winter for the recalls, and I will have them check into the throttle issues. :P :drink:

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 11:43:31 AM »

I used to have this issue. After an attempt to install and tune a PCIII i was told by the dyno wrench "my bike" was not liking the PC and that PC told him that the PC is "vehicle specific" so I wait for a Super Sert. The tune they gave me was a total POS. I had to be at 17 to 1900 rpm just to pull out-feathering the clutch at every traffic light in Seattle with the hills is a PITA! All the same crap you're hearing-
Can't tune the 08 because of the fly by wire
true duals cause the problems
yada yada yada

Springer from this sight chatted with me for over 3 hours one night and together via cell phone he sent me a SSERT map that he had from a bike he had tuned with similar setup and voila!

No throttle crap anymore- bike is 100% improved in ridability and we did nothing to the fly by wire-exhaust or anything else. Just tweaked the map!

A little off to the original question and I have been there and believe the issue described has little to do with the fly by wire.

Ride Safe! :coolblue:
Sounds like I need a map from Springer. Oh crap I don't know how to load it  ::)  :nixweiss:  :drink:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 11:48:42 AM »

Its easy Howie....after he sends it to you, you put into your laptop pc then hook up the wires to the thingy.
After that you upload the files from the goesoutta into the goesinta and viola!  So easy any marine could do it...

Did that help?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 12:05:33 PM »

Its easy Howie....after he sends it to you, you put into your laptop pc then hook up the wires to the thingy.
After that you upload the files from the goesoutta into the goesinta and viola!  So easy any marine could do it...

Did that help?
:sauer005: :sauer055: :sauer052: :sauer019: :furious3: :P ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »

novazeus

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 04:09:39 PM »

I believe I have the same or similar problem. It has always been this way. When accelerating from a light, if I try to do a quick start off the line the engine will bog and it seems I have to add way more throttle than should be necessary to keep the bike from bogging. It stills bogs and shudders but with enough right hand it rattles on. I didn't know if it was because first was extraordinary high or a "flat spot" as you describe. I have since put on a Heavy Breather, BUB 7 true duals and a V&H Fuel pak. It runs good but I still haven't figured out how to launch it from a light. 2nd, 3rd and so on seem strong but moving from a dead start is difficult.

I may have to go out tonight and try to practice some quick starts and see if it is possible on my bike with a more careful clutch release and strong throttle input applied correctly.

Maybe it needs a heavier flywheel?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 04:42:47 PM »

I believe I have the same or similar problem. It has always been this way. When accelerating from a light, if I try to do a quick start off the line the engine will bog and it seems I have to add way more throttle than should be necessary to keep the bike from bogging. It stills bogs and shudders but with enough right hand it rattles on. I didn't know if it was because first was extraordinary high or a "flat spot" as you describe. I have since put on a Heavy Breather, BUB 7 true duals and a V&H Fuel pak. It runs good but I still haven't figured out how to launch it from a light. 2nd, 3rd and so on seem strong but moving from a dead start is difficult.

I may have to go out tonight and try to practice some quick starts and see if it is possible on my bike with a more careful clutch release and strong throttle input applied correctly.

Maybe it needs a heavier flywheel?

I don't remember folks with the early '07 models mentioning a hesitation or flat spot, but then H-D came out with a new "torque smoothing" calibration later in the model year, the strategy of which I'm guessing was carried over in '08.  I wonder what that calibration strategy might have to do with the problem? :confused5:

First gear is much higher than the old 5 speeds, and when coupled with a lean mixture and a flaky ignition curve designed for emissions I'm not surprised that off idle drivability isn't good.  A good tuner, using any decent tuning device, should be able to get rid of the problem fairly easily.  I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the electronic throttle control.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 12:21:28 AM »

So far, I have had no problems with my throttle by wire - no bog, flat spots, or stall.

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 12:37:09 AM »

I have it and not very obvious unless someone drive the bike daily.  I've killed the engine couple times at the light.   :nervous:

It has nothing to do with throttle.  It's the harley base map that all dyno tuners use.  I spent the money on SERT. Now waiting for TTS conversion.
Lack of money is the source of all evils.

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 09:27:15 PM »

Just a quick follow up:
I've tried many times and it appears that the problem is related to the rear cylinder shut down at full stop.  If I stop and then try to move within a few seconds, then it's fine with no hesitation.  However if I stop and wait for about 20-30 seconds, then I get the hesitation.  I have tried to disable the rear cylinder shut down by moving the throttle forward in idle, but it didn't work.  I know for fact the heat is not an issue with my bike.  It's been re-mapped. 

Let me know what you think or see if you can do this test.

Fred   :nixweiss:
Lack of money is the source of all evils.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 25 queries.