Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: EFI conversion  (Read 24684 times)

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
Re: EFI conversion
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2007, 06:26:52 PM »

nope ,bike runs like a wet dream so I never looked into it(20,000 miles since conversion and 1 trip cross country and no problems at all)...if you look at your wiring diagram,follow the wire from the lite till you get to a plug..just remove that  specific wire out of the plug and walaa,lite out...I figured what does the lite have to do with anything besides the efi system.anyway...its all fuel and air by this point,,not pc controled
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2007, 11:09:45 PM »

That's cool. When I get that far I'll post the wire color and pin location for reference.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2007, 07:31:59 AM »

pin location is right side panel.....color is yellow...ride-on
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

mrigeo

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2007, 12:41:53 AM »

Just finished my Delphi conversion. Had my HD shop do the stage II download using the VIN# of the replacement ECM (03 Fat Boy from EBay). When they entered my VIN, no downloads were available for the M&M. They also said if the ECM came from a stolen bike, they won't be able to do a downlaod. I saved a ton of money getting the whole injection system and late model fuel pump assy. from EBay. Was lucky that all the parts were legit.

In another thread on this topic, it was mentioned that metal fab and welding is required for the coil mount. I found that the 2002-03  coil mount slips over the front fuel tank mount points on the frame neck. and it only cost $5.00. Cheapest part I have got from HD.  ;)
The soft tail ECM mount worked great in mounting the ECM to the side of the battery box. Again, no fab or welding.

Bike runs awesome now!!  :pepper: :pepper:

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2007, 11:14:25 AM »

nice!! how much did it cost if you dont mind me asking
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2007, 11:53:49 AM »

In another thread on this topic, it was mentioned that metal fab and welding is required for the coil mount. I found that the 2002-03  coil mount slips over the front fuel tank mount points on the frame neck. and it only cost $5.00. Cheapest part I have got from HD.  ;)
The soft tail ECM mount worked great in mounting the ECM to the side of the battery box. Again, no fab or welding.

Bike runs awesome now!!  :pepper: :pepper:

If I only knew to use a softail ECM mount I would have save myself the welding. Which model make and year softail did you use? Oh well, live and learn for the next guy. How did you secure the coil bracket over the neck mounts? Mine fit over it too, but the whole thing just hung there. I had to tack weld it in a couple of sports to keep it from moving.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2007, 12:08:51 PM »

Oh well, live and learn for the next guy. How did you secure the coil bracket over the neck mounts?

Mark, just noticed this conversation regarding the body and fender work to mount your coil.  Either is going to be finally secured just by bolting the tank in place.  Odder (at least to me) is that such a simple, obvious and necessary part isn't supplied or at least mentioned in any documentation that is part of the conversion package.  Surely the people forming up the conversion kit or harness had been there and done that  :nixweiss: .

FrankD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2007, 02:06:06 PM »

I have the typical hesitation or like the engine shutoff when down shifting or backing off the thottle feels like the engine shuts off. This is the same company that designs electronics used on the Ferraris.

Contact: http://www.rrcycles.com/ They are located in Manchester, NH. They will modify the ECM and the throttle body. I spoke to the Service Manager and he states that the changes work. providing your not looking for 120 horsepower and big torque numbers. Delphi conversion can be expense according to him.

I'm planning on major changes this winter to the engine, transmission and suspension if the MoCo does not come out with a new SERG in 08.
Frank
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 07:39:34 AM by FrankD »
Of every one-hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine are real fighters...We are lucky to have them, they make the battle. Ah, but one, one of them is a Warrior... He will bring the others home.

Hericletus 500BC

FrankD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2007, 09:51:23 PM »

2nd reply: This is what Mike emailed me months ago in regards to my problem with M&M bikes. Mike runs Latus Harley Davidsons http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/mbbs2/forums/ Tons of great info on his website.

Magnetti-Merrelli bikes with driveability/run issues can be problematic. One thing I do not like is taking the "Big stick" approach to solving such problems. But here I go! The exhaust is easy, I like the Vance and Hines
Classic slip-ons, stock head pipes with the restriction in the "Y" pipe removed. This system is good on both torque and HP. The SE Race Tuner is the best option for tuning (IMHO). Along with the SERT we (and others) like the SE throttle body (p/n 27615-00, $999.95). It's a big financial hit, but addresses many of the possible causes for driveability issues (injector targeting, injector type, ISC probs, hot/cold idle settings, TP sensor voltages, etc.). With SERT, an ECM recal. is not needed. Another possibility is wetsumping. This can easily be checked by making base dyno runs and/or draining the oil from the crankcase and checking it's volume. After a dyno run, the drained volume should be no more than 8-10oz (7oz better). If it is more, than the motor is wetsummping (see our dyno library for what this looks like on the charts and how the power can be affected). This is almost always an o-ring that is out of place or has failed, but it can also be oil pump alignment or other pump issues. This should be checked before investing in the other upgrades.
With the above changes expect 85-90hp and 95-100ft/lb torque on a 250i dyno.

Please keep us informed according to the General CVO Discussion their will be no SERG for 2008. Also checkout Zippers they have a conversion kit available.

Frank
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 07:36:56 AM by FrankD »
Of every one-hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine are real fighters...We are lucky to have them, they make the battle. Ah, but one, one of them is a Warrior... He will bring the others home.

Hericletus 500BC

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2007, 11:45:28 AM »

Also checkout Zippers they have a conversion kit available.

Yes they do, and I purchased one back in September of 2006. My experience is that it is not a true Delphi Conversion kit, but a Zippers Version of M&M, at least that is what I thought. It comes with the Zippers 50mm TB, and Zippers T-MAX ECM. Like others on another thread, I had nothing but problems trying to match my buiild to a suitable MAP. My build is not radical by any means, but no one at Zippers was able to get it to run decent. The bike did not run well enough for the amount of money I spent on it. I was told to live with it, and wait for the M&M Auto-Tune to come out sometime in the next 90 days or so. This did not sit well with me to say the least. Call me funny, but I like my motorcycle to run properly, and waiting 90 days or more for something that was being developed seemed un reasonable to me. I had plans to ride my bike within the next 90 days.

So I bought an FI conversion harness, and converted the bike over to true Delphi, where it can run either the Zippers, or HD Delphi. I then upgraded (read that as more money to Zippers) to the Zippers Auto-Tune system and started new again. By this time Zippers had cut off ALL support and communication with me (why should they, they already have my money). Using tech support from folks here like Rhino, and Jerry S. on the VTF, I finally got the bike MAPPED and tuned properly. Of course I still have issues with my turn signals which will probably NEVER get resolved. Once again, as pointed out here by myself and others, it appears that the Zippers way is to Up Sell a product, and then cut you off from ALL support once they get your money, and start having problems that need focus and attention.

So what I guess I am saying is, make the Zippers option the LAST thing you do. Go with the SERT or any other option if you can. Otherwise we will see you posting with the rest of us who wait for Zippers support and contact that NEVER comes.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2007, 11:51:23 AM »

Thanks IH! Hearing Zipper's horror stories way too much for my liking! I've heard about their lack of support issues for years too. It seems that unless you have a back door relationship with them, you're at their mercy, if they help you at all. Too many other options available out there to want to work with such a non-supportive vendor! No Zipper's products for me! ;) Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 12:13:10 PM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2007, 12:05:18 PM »

Thanks Ironhorse for the post. This helps me feel better that I went the carb route instead. I say that as I looked into the Zippers conversion but wasn't thrilled with the price when compared to sourcing Delphi parts.

I've yet to swap out my M&M to the carb setup but I believe it is on the horizon. After my trip this past weekend I figured out my fuel consumption. My 95" with M&M at 80 mph pulled right around 33 mpg, my buds 88" with a carb at the same speed was pulling 40-41 mpg. Bikes are both baggers weighing in close to the same. Hell I run a 6 speed. I couldn't imagine how bad it would be with out the extra gear.
2023 CVO Road Glide

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »

did you change your primary gearing puzzled?? if you do your rpm's will drop 400 rpm's and pick up all sorts of gas miliege....all you need is a clutch basket and compensating gear for an 2001 carburated touring model..for as you know I'm sure, our injected bikes have different gearing to compensate for the weak m&m injectin ...I went from 28 mpg to 42 mpg with the gear change....sure the carb helped too but the gear change was very noticable..ride -on, headpan
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2007, 01:10:05 PM »

I changed the compensating sprocket from a 24 to a 28 when I did the DD6. I'm somewhere around 3k at 80 mph. The RPM's dropped with the DD6 however the throttle now gets turned farther as the bike isn't screaming! ;) It's the bikes fault......
2023 CVO Road Glide

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2007, 07:17:42 PM »

how did you put a 28 comp sprocket on her ,,did you find an ex long primary chain?? :nixweiss:
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 20 queries.