Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Heated clothing preference  (Read 24470 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Re: Heated clothing preference
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2008, 04:03:44 PM »

Thanks for the advice so far you guys, it's have been a big help. Anybody have any input on the heated sox? I have the HD/Gerbing top, pants and gloves but my feet froze while I was out testing the suit. Wondering on comfort and sizing on the socks as I hate to have lumpy crap in my footwear. I like everything about the suit except putting the last glove on to make sure everything is tucked in. We definitely need to come up with a better way to have access to the controllers. Opening up the jacket while I'm on the highway to fumble with the switches with gloves on just doesn't cut it for me. I wired the extra feed to my Polaris Sportsman so I can use the suit to stay toasty while I plow my measly 1,800 foot dirt driveway. Now I just need to get a radio working on that 11 year old ATV.

Ray G. 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2008, 07:05:10 PM »

Gerbing actually called me back, a week later. They're offering a $100 credit for my unused older version of the G3's. They list for $169, but we paid $135. They charge $169 for the new ones. So my net add's another hundred bucks or so. Not the fairest offer, but can't get new gloves for a hundred bucks, so I'll go along. I ordered the jacket liner from them too so I have recourse with them. Very different dealing with them vs. if you bought from one of their dealers. So buyer beware. If ya want discounts and buy elsewhere, you'll be treated by the differently than if you pay list and order directly from them. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Sounds kind of like Corbin.  While I and others who have delt with Corbin directly get great customer service, that's not always the case for those who have gone through a retailer.  :nixweiss:  Not my experience, just an observation.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2008, 07:16:57 PM »

Ordered my Gerbing jacket and dual controller Wednesday. Got the Gerbing glove liners and a couple pair of great soft leather gauntlets (one size up so I can switch colors) from my new buddy at Windrider

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEERSKIN-MOTORCYCLE-GAUNTLET-LEATHER-GLOVES_W0QQitemZ300271088972QQihZ020QQcategoryZ2994QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Got the BMW socket and doing some mods to the socket to get it to fit my bike (see here):

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=27725.0

Looking forward to a functional setup.

Thanks for all the advice from members of this forum. Because of feedback here, I went and found the clothing in town to try it on for correct sizing and saved 20% on purchase price due to another members post. The clear choice from the poll was Gerbing. Never afraid to spend a bit more up front for proven quality!

Great site for saving money and spending even more!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2008, 02:24:29 AM »

Ordered my Gerbing jacket and dual controller Wednesday. Got the Gerbing glove liners and a couple pair of great soft leather gauntlets (one size up so I can switch colors) from my new buddy at Windrider

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEERSKIN-MOTORCYCLE-GAUNTLET-LEATHER-GLOVES_W0QQitemZ300271088972QQihZ020QQcategoryZ2994QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Got the BMW socket and doing some mods to the socket to get it to fit my bike (see here):

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=27725.0

Looking forward to a functional setup.

Thanks for all the advice from members of this forum. Because of feedback here, I went and found the clothing in town to try it on for correct sizing and saved 20% on purchase price due to another members post. The clear choice from the poll was Gerbing. Never afraid to spend a bit more up front for proven quality!

Great site for saving money and spending even more!

I've done the same on my SEEG and on both of Terrie's Dynas and now her new Street Glide  (here's a couple of photos)......  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=4561.msg63192#msg63192  They really are easier to deal with than the little plugs that take both hands.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

comfortablynumb

• Senior CVO Member
  • u can chek out any time u like,but ucan nver leave

• CVO1: 2008 SEUC3 SuperTrapp SE slip ons SE Stage 1 A/C SE Super Tuner Kury LED Brake & Turn Kury Zombie Shift Linkage & Cover Clearview 9.5 recurve Tru Track
« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2008, 07:17:34 AM »

If you use the battery tender plug, it's going to be a lot more difficult every time you get off the bike to unplug it.  With mine, I just reach between my legs to quickly unplug it before I get off my bike.  If you get off your bike to the left side, which I think most people tend to do, you have to make your way around to the right side of the bike to unplug it, and vice versa when you are getting on the bike.  That sounds like some additional wire needed also.  I still think a quick hook up direct to the + and - on the battery is the real easy route to go and very convenient afterward.
I Ordered through Chicago Harley with their discount, and it took 7 days to get via Fedx. just received my jacket liner,gloves, and dual controller. As is my bad habit, I go through manuals front to back, at least the English parts. The manual says NOT to use the pigtail and to wire directly to battery, basically setting up a separate circuit for the clothes. Why is the pigtail a no-no? Seems convenient enough. Any ideas?

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2008, 09:26:02 AM »

I Ordered through Chicago Harley with their discount, and it took 7 days to get via Fedx. just received my jacket liner,gloves, and dual controller. As is my bad habit, I go through manuals front to back, at least the English parts. The manual says NOT to use the pigtail and to wire directly to battery, basically setting up a separate circuit for the clothes. Why is the pigtail a no-no? Seems convenient enough. Any ideas?

The wiring harness they gave you is fused and the pigtail is not.  Any malfunction with wiring and you either blow a fuse or set the jacket on fire, your choice. :nixweiss:
Lack of money is the source of all evils.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2008, 10:27:42 AM »

Hunter - is there a problem running a battery charger back through the Gerbing harness? I have a adapter that goes from the battery tender end to the BMW end but don't want to screw up the Gerbing connection.

hunter

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2008, 03:04:37 PM »

Hunter - is there a problem running a battery charger back through the Gerbing harness? I have a adapter that goes from the battery tender end to the BMW end but don't want to screw up the Gerbing connection.
No problem.  You can connect a charger to fused harness, you just cannot connect a charger to switched harness.  Gerbing' connection has a 15A fuse which is good enough for B. tender.

hunter

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2008, 03:07:52 PM »

I wish someone would make a heated gear connector like Apple laptop charger with a magnetic hookup, just get off the bike and walk away ...   :confused5:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2008, 03:19:54 PM »

I wish someone would make a heated gear connector like Apple laptop charger with a magnetic hookup, just get off the bike and walk away ...   :confused5:
It would probably 'mal-function' and burn your house to the ground.  :nervous: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2008, 02:04:42 PM »

Does anyone here have any opinions, pro/cons, on First Gear Heated clothing. I found a local Sacramento shop that carries a wide selection. The quality seems to be very good, the sizes are perfect fit and they have a 15% off sale through December. I'm leaning towards two sets of Jacket/Pant liner and thought best to check here first.

thanks

sporty

Sean M Cary

« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2008, 06:20:33 PM »

Does anyone here have any opinions, pro/cons, on First Gear Heated clothing. I found a local Sacramento shop that carries a wide selection. The quality seems to be very good, the sizes are perfect fit and they have a 15% off sale through December. I'm leaning towards two sets of Jacket/Pant liner and thought best to check here first.

thanks

sporty
there are Gerbings sales going for 20%...  I have gone to all Gerbings - can't imagine getting anything better.  Have the liner and gloves with the dual controller...

Sean

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2008, 01:00:58 PM »

there are Gerbings sales going for 20%...  I have gone to all Gerbings - can't imagine getting anything better.  Have the liner and gloves with the dual controller...

Sean

I couldn't pass up the deal on the First Gear stuff. Got the 90-watt jacket liner, 65-watt pant liner and dual controller for $435. I checked out many reviews on the First Gear stuff and they get high remarks across the board. Very good material quality also. I plan on adapting to the BMW socket arrangement as other here have done. Cant wait to get all this stuff in and set up,, it's been a little bury out there lately.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #133 on: December 23, 2008, 02:15:57 PM »

Gerbing actually called me back, a week later. They're offering a $100 credit for my unused older version of the G3's. They list for $169, but we paid $135. They charge $169 for the new ones. So my net add's another hundred bucks or so. Not the fairest offer, but can't get new gloves for a hundred bucks, so I'll go along. I ordered the jacket liner from them too so I have recourse with them. Very different dealing with them vs. if you bought from one of their dealers. So buyer beware. If ya want discounts and buy elsewhere, you'll be treated by the differently than if you pay list and order directly from them. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Well it took from 11/21 til today to get the gloves and liner from Gerbing. The new G3's seem much better and have larger gauntlets than the previous version I hated. Hopefully these will feel right for me. Their liner sizing tables need to get redone too. I measured myself while on the phone ordering from them, and went thru all the sizing with them while on the phone. The liner is WAY too small, even though it was in accordance with their sizing guide. I now have to return it, and they'll send out a larger one after they receive this one back. ::)

So all in all, go to a store to buy your heated gear. Don't go thru all the BS I just did to get a stupid set of gloves and a liner. It's not worth all the BS. Go to a store, pick what you want, try it on and MAKE SURE IT FITS, and buy it. I went thru way too much grief just to get this stuff. Definitely not worth it, nor are they the easiest to deal with. I thought I was on the phone with Corbin!!! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #134 on: December 23, 2008, 02:20:51 PM »

Well it took from 11/21 til today to get the gloves and liner from Gerbing. The new G3's seem much better and have larger gauntlets than the previous version I hated. Hopefully these will feel right for me. Their liner sizing tables need to get redone too. I measured myself while on the phone ordering from them, and went thru all the sizing with them while on the phone. The liner is WAY too small, even though it was in accordance with their sizing guide. I now have to return it, and they'll send out a larger one after they receive this one back. ::)

So all in all, go to a store to buy your heated gear. Don't go thru all the BS I just did to get a stupid set of gloves and a liner. It's not worth all the BS. Go to a store, pick what you want, try it on and MAKE SURE IT FITS, and buy it. I went thru way too much grief just to get this stuff. Definitely not worth it, nor are they the easiest to deal with. I thought I was on the phone with Corbin!!! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
Or once you know the size you need come back home and order it on the internet if you can get a better deal. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 24 queries.