Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Oil Temp Gauge - HD Model  (Read 21095 times)

IMAbadman

• Full CVO Member
  • 2008 Anniversary #551 FLHTCUSE3
Oil Temp Gauge - HD Model
« on: October 06, 2008, 12:47:13 PM »

OK... so I've read just about all I can on the oil temp gauge that HD put out, the 75320-05 - Spun Alum. Oil Temp Gauge.  Most of the details of this gauge were from back in May-Nov. 2006.  I've got the install down and will go with the pan hook-up, however; it seems during that time the gauge had undergone aesthetic modifications getting it closer to the factory installed CVO gauges. 

My question is has anyone recently, say in 2008, boughten one of these gauges and installed it? 

How do the gauge aesthetics compare to the current gauges on the FLHTCUSE3 and FLHTCUSE4, i.e. face, trim ring, needle, pin stops, and lighting? 

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Oil Temp Gauge - HD Model
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 12:52:17 PM »

They still are a dead on match; to the speedo and tach.  Same slight differences when compared to the smaller diameter instruments they should match.  Some dufus used the wrong instruments as his template.

IMAbadman

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 01:12:27 PM »

So does this about summerize what I gathered reading from the other posts??

Face:  Exact match, same lettering.

Trim Ring:  Exact Match

Needle:  Different needle, has a "step" in it which does not match other smaller instruments.

Pin stops:  Gauge does not use pin stops like other factory installed gauges on the CVO's.

Lighting:  Lighting is the same as current gauges.  Same color employing a back-lighted.

Thanks again for your replies.

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 05:24:56 AM »

I had that useless thing on my '08. It never worked, because the dealer did the original install according to moco instructions. We changed it later, but by then the bike was history anyway. I did find it rather peculiar, that the instrument in itself would not be a 100% match. All in all a big disappointment. Now here are good news: The rather new Oil Level and Temperature Dipstick with Lighted LCD Readout p/n # 63004-09 MSRP US $139.95

Harley says:
Check your oil level and oil temperature with the push of a button. Add function and style by replacing your stock dipstick with this hard working version. No more grabbing a rag to pull your hot dipstick. No more oil drips on your pipes and on the garage floor. Simply push the button and this chrome dipstick lights up with brilliant blue backlight. Oil level is indicated with a four segment readout - it even reminds you to check your oil when it is hot. Designed to be waterproof, the LCD display operates on a long-lasting, replaceable Lithium coin-type battery (CR2032 3V, P/N 66373-06). Display features a low battery indicator, and press-and-hold feature to toggle between Fahrenheit and Celsius. Patented.

Voilá!

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 06:46:51 AM »

Needle:  Different needle, has a "step" in it which does not match other smaller instruments.

My needle is straight.

Lighting:  Lighting is the same as current gauges.  Same color employing a back-lighted.

Mine lights more like the speedo/tach.

Thanks again for your replies.

The gauge matches/works fine other than having no needle stop.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 07:07:07 AM »

Check your oil level and oil temperature with the push of a button. Add function and style by replacing your stock dipstick with this hard working version. No more grabbing a rag to pull your hot dipstick. No more oil drips on your pipes and on the garage floor. Simply push the button and this chrome dipstick lights up with brilliant blue backlight. Oil level is indicated with a four segment readout - it even reminds you to check your oil when it is hot. Designed to be waterproof, the LCD display operates on a long-lasting, replaceable Lithium coin-type battery (CR2032 3V, P/N 66373-06). Display features a low battery indicator, and press-and-hold feature to toggle between Fahrenheit and Celsius. Patented.

Voilá!

Except not so much... Search on the dipstick oil temp/level gauge and you will see it has a failure rate worse than head gaskets. 
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 07:28:49 AM »

I had that useless thing on my '08. It never worked, because the dealer did the original install according to moco instructions. We changed it later, but by then the bike was history anyway. I did find it rather peculiar, that the instrument in itself would not be a 100% match. All in all a big disappointment. Now here are good news: The rather new Oil Level and Temperature Dipstick with Lighted LCD Readout p/n # 63004-09 MSRP US $139.95

Chicago HD 111.96 $

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 07:46:50 AM »

Would agree with this for the old model, I had it blow out and spew oil on my 2006, but I have no problems with the new one that includes level installed on my 2008.

/Bill

Voilá!

Except not so much... Search on the dipstick oil temp/level gauge and you will see it has a failure rate worse than head gaskets. 
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 08:26:56 AM »

Harley says:

Voilá!

Ride safely,
Louis

My Led unit failed after 3 months. Took it back and replaced the POS air temp guage in the fairing with spun oil temp guage. DIDN'T install according to factory instructions & works great. THE MUFFMAN

IMAbadman

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 12:26:10 PM »

Allow me to repeat my question...

Face:  Exact match, same lettering.

Trim Ring:   Exact Match

Needle:   Different needle, has a "step" in it which does not match other smaller instruments.

Pin stops:   Gauge does not use pin stops like other factory installed gauges on the CVO's.

I am not looking for a dip stick or some gauge which requries me to stop and park to actually get a reading from.  Probably the same reason they don't install the speedo and tach in the tour pak.  BECAUSE YOU WANT DIRECT FEEDBACK FROM THE GAUGE.

Thanks again for your replies everyone.  And thank you TwoLaneRider and Boatman for addressing my question.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 01:06:45 PM »

Badman-

You will be happy with the look of the oil gauge even though it is not exact. 
It DOES not have the needle stop.
The needle looks like the speedo/tach needles. (the needle does not light up).
Lights up like the speedo/tach-brighter.

2lane and I are pretty particular and it suits us.  Once installed, you will really have to look to see any difference.

Hope this helps.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 01:19:51 PM »

My dipstick battery just gave up after almost two years and a lot of checking temps, so not bad. However I do not trust it to check the oil level for me. I still do it the old fashioned way. I don't know how accurate the temp reading is as I just use it as a gauge to read the ups and downs. I do remember in Nelson, Nixobilly (Mark) had both dipstick and guage in dash and they read 30 degrees difference between the two. That is why I just use it as reference for changes such as type of riding or sitting in traffic etc.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 02:47:53 PM »

Even with the slight variation in appearance have replaced the rain gauge with the oil temp gauge in both the SEEG and the Road Glide.  Did the in-the-pan install with the alternative/easier electrical install on both.  They're fine :2vrolijk_21: .

y2khd

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 04:15:41 PM »

Guage I bought from HD the face was very close couldn't complain but the trim ring was different. Did the pan install and it worked great.

John
FLHTKSE

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 08:56:19 PM »

My Led unit failed after 3 months. Took it back and replaced the POS air temp guage in the fairing with spun oil temp guage. DIDN'T install according to factory instructions & works great. THE MUFFMAN

Just a thought, if you feel like changing things around ................
I put my temp gauge in the voltmeter hole and moved the voltmeter to the air temp hole
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 20 queries.