Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Finned headbolt bridge set  (Read 16750 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: Finned headbolt bridge set
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 11:49:08 AM »

1.   The paint was in stock at Kragen Auto Parts.  Duplicolors's web site is not the easiest to navigate but it is there. 

2.    It was auto paint for trim.  Not high heat but seems to work fine.

3.   No.  There is room for a spark plug wrench with the bridge on.  Had these on my "04 RG with no problem.

GK

Thanks.  Located the paint at Advance Auto this morning and getting the fins this afternoon.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 08:41:12 PM »

I painted the fins and that paint color isn't in the ballpark for a match.  Now I have a question.  Did you start with the black or silver bridge that you painted?  I got the silver one, and the color is coming out significantly lighter in color.  Is there any possibility that painting it over black would make it come out darker?  After seeing the way it was coming out, I painted one of them with several coats to see if it would darken up any, but it's just not a good match.  If my bike is sitting on the jiffy stand and shaded in there, I doubt anyone would ever notice the difference.  Shine some light there and it's real obvious that they don't match.  Any input from those who have done this?  Or am I just being too picky and expecting something that would be close?

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 09:12:01 PM »

Purchase some black Duplicolor and put down a coat to start as a base, then the color. I do remember starting with the black fin set. That should solve the problem. :2vrolijk_21:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 11:09:15 PM »

Purchase some black Duplicolor and put down a coat to start as a base, then the color. I do remember starting with the black fin set. That should solve the problem. :2vrolijk_21:

If that's what the problem is, it would have probably been nice to know that before I bought the silver one or painted multiple layers on it (I'm laughing as I type this).  Anyway, I went ahead and finished it up as is for now.  I'll see if it's noticeable outside or not.  It probably will be...see the photos.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 11:09:40 PM »

Next photo

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 11:37:25 PM »

I wonder If you purchased the correct color? Is it Duplcolor  DSFM 225 med charcoal? The color should have good coverage. I do not recall It being transparent. The back round base should not make a difference. Your photo looks way too silver, like the wrong color. I got curious, looked at mine and now think I painted a silver set and not black like I mentioned.  GregKhougaz may be able to give some input. He posted success with his.  :nixweiss:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 11:40:59 PM »

I double checked the color again. Same number.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 04:10:57 PM »

1.    Did you start with the black or silver bridge that you painted?  I got the silver one, and the color is coming out significantly lighter in color. 
     2.   Is there any possibility that painting it over black would make it come out darker?  After seeing the way it was coming out, I painted one of them with several coats to see if it would darken up any, but it's just not a good match.  If my bike is sitting on the jiffy stand and shaded in there, I doubt anyone would ever notice the difference.  Shine some light there and it's real obvious that they don't match. 
     3.  Any input from those who have done this? 
     4.   Or am I just being too picky and expecting something that would be close?

Dave, 

1.   I started with silver.  The paint color is correct.  Noted the directions say shake for two minutes!  Insufficient shake (i.e. mixing the paint) might cause the color to come out light.  Mine look fine in the pics above but if you take a pic with flash, they do look light.  Can not tell when looking at the bike. 
     2.   I would not but a black (or darker gray) base coat might help. 
     3.   Trying!
     4.   Probably.  How does it look when the bike is just sitting? 

Hope this helps.  If not, consider therapy!   :huepfenlol2:  Here's another pic without flash.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 04:14:45 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Brinks

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Silver/Blue
    • CVO2: 2008 SERK Annie
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 04:48:06 PM »

Someone may want to try this paint, 98606CTN, it's Harley's Granite paint. I have have not checked with my steeler yet to see if it's available.

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 05:09:52 PM »

I have to say that I had no problem painting mine. I have more than 30 years of paint experience and like it when I can find a cheap 5 dollar rattle can that is quick and matches reasonably. Gives me more time to ride! A body shop can paint them for the person with more money than talent but expect $50 to evaporate from your wallet. :2vrolijk_21: p.s. GregKhougaz fins look like a good match.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 08:13:26 PM by Highwaystar »

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 05:20:02 PM »

Dave, 

1.   I started with silver.  The paint color is correct.  Noted the directions say shake for two minutes!  Insufficient shake (i.e. mixing the paint) might cause the color to come out light.  Mine look fine in the pics above but if you take a pic with flash, they do look light.  Can not tell when looking at the bike. 
     2.   I would not but a black (or darker gray) base coat might help. 
     3.   Trying!
     4.   Probably.  How does it look when the bike is just sitting? 

Hope this helps.  If not, consider therapy!   :huepfenlol2:  Here's another pic without flash.

I can see from your photo that yours come out a bit light also.  Yes, I took the photo with the flash on.  With the bike just sitting there in the garage, it looks fine.  I'm waiting to see how it looks outside in the sun, but it's raining here for the next few days.  I'll check it out when I can, and I assume it will be less than noticeable.  If it is, I'll retry with a black base or check out the Harley paint color.  As it sits right now, without shining a light on the area and without a flash on a camera, it looks just fine and I'm happy with it.  We'll see how it looks in the sun.  I'm not real concerned about it.  It's not that difficult to pull them off and redo it.  I just thought that if starting with the black finish made it come out better the first time around, it should be pointed out for the next people that give it a shot.  Now, what's the next mod you guys are going to come up with that I didn't know I was going to do?  Maybe I could reroute my exhaust through my handlebars and never have to worry about the heated grips working again.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 06:22:10 PM »

Now, what's the next mod you guys are going to come up with that I didn't know I was going to do?  Maybe I could reroute my exhaust through my handlebars and never have to worry about the heated grips working again.

Naaaawwww!!!!!  Spring is here.....  and........  Summer's coming!!! 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2009, 06:28:14 PM »

Naaaawwww!!!!!  Spring is here.....  and........  Summer's coming!!! 

Just looked at the 10 day forecast here and next Monday is the only day without rain and it will be a blistering high of 46 degrees.  I'm trying to figure out if there is any good reason for me to live here...and I can't think of one.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2009, 08:07:07 PM »

Well,,,,,,,,,as long as it's a blistering 46
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2009, 08:37:59 PM »

The weather could be worse...much worse...you could be living in Wisconsin. here we have a few girls enjoying a nice summer day at the beach ... :huepfenjump3:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 24 queries.