Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: SERG Wind Noise  (Read 3345 times)

seharleyrider

• CVO1: 2009 SERG (orange/black)
SERG Wind Noise
« on: October 15, 2008, 01:01:53 PM »

How does anyone stand to ride the SERG without going deaf? I have tried the 8" and 12" Klock Werks and still not much better than the stock wind deflector. MY ears have rang for 2 days and my wife may never ride with me again. I switched from an electra glide to this and what a disappointment. If I have to have a giant windshield to stand to ride it I guess it will be "for sale".  Any help?

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: SERG Wind Noise
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 01:07:33 PM »

How does anyone stand to ride the SERG without going deaf? I have tried the 8" and 12" Klock Werks and still not much better than the stock wind deflector. MY ears have rang for 2 days and my wife may never ride with me again. I switched from an electra glide to this and what a disappointment. If I have to have a giant windshield to stand to ride it I guess it will be "for sale".  Any help?

Giant windshield?   ??? :nixweiss:  Some people have recommended installing the fork shield. (mounts between the fork tubes just below the fairing and prevents some wind coming up under the fairing.  Otherwise, I think you're SOL partner.  :nixweiss:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 01:14:02 PM »

There's 3 or 4 dozen testimonials to Clearview Shields on this site (see vendor discounts and service). That'll be my next purchase.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 01:17:34 PM »

The problem isn't the height of the shield so much as its shape.  The KW shield's contours on each side make little wind tunnels that just roar right beside your head on each side.  It's not the bike.  It's the choice of windshields you've made so far.

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 02:32:58 PM »

I had the same problem and my wife wouldn't ride with the short stock windshield and I can't imagine the KW is any better regardless of the height. I have the Cee Bailey 10" dark tint and I am waiting on a 11-1/2" light tint Clearview. Either of these will solve the problem with the beating that your ears have been taking with the KW or 6" stock SERG windshield. Also, the 10" Cee Bailey and 11-1/2" Clearview still looks good IMO.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 02:56:29 PM »

As many have already stated, IMHO Klock Werks is a flimsey.Innefectual, Noisey little POS, I rode 3 mi at expressway speeds with a 12 in and my ears rang worse then if I had been loading a Howitzer. It also felt like some one was beating my helmet with a plastic ball bat, Im running a 1in over Clearview Recurve and now  can ride with my face shield open with no problem.  I posted the Klockwerks on Ebay and even though I told the truth as to why I was selling it, it sold in less then 4 hrs, their Hype obviously pays off.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 03:15:22 PM »

There's 3 or 4 dozen testimonials to Clearview Shields on this site (see vendor discounts and service). That'll be my next purchase.

I've run stock H-D shield, Clearview and KW. The Clearview is hands down the most effective AND quiet shield I have personally used. I had an oversized Clearview I sold that was almost like being in an enclosed vehicle it blocked the wind so well, but I didn't like looking through it so I sold it and bought a 14" which is perfect.

As I understand it, the Klockwerks shield is intended to work as an airfoil more than a windscreen. Testing by KW has shown a 10% increase in downforce on the front end of a motorcycle using the product. I don't believe the KW is marketed as a long distance windshield. The problem folks are having with the KW's may well be in what they THINK it is supposed to do vice what the Klock family designed them to do. Bear in mind, this product came about as a result of land speed record attempts by the Klock family at Bonneville

Anyway, if you want quiet, dry, windless protection, call up Clearview and give them the details on your height, inseam etc that will help them recommend the perfect size for you.

B B

seharleyrider

• CVO1: 2009 SERG (orange/black)
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 03:36:47 PM »

I appreciate the help everyone is offering so far. Maybe there is hope after all.  I love the way the bike rides and handles, its just the wind pounding my ears that I don't like. 

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 03:55:42 PM »

It's a great bike. You just have to take off the factory "wind screen" and throw it as far as you can!

tdowell65

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC 8
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 05:04:59 PM »

Kinda of thought the way you did a bit.  I really didn't want to put a big old windhshield on my SERG but somebody (excuse for not remembering who) put a picture of a silver SERG with the clearview shield on it and I was surprised how it looked here.  So please if you guys could post some pics with the clearview on the serg in one spot here that would be great to get an idea and add your the size of your shield and your own height.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 05:08:13 PM »

Kinda of thought the way you did a bit.  I really didn't want to put a big old windhshield on my SERG but somebody (excuse for not remembering who) put a picture of a silver SERG with the clearview shield on it and I was surprised how it looked here.  So please if you guys could post some pics with the clearview on the serg in one spot here that would be great to get an idea and add your the size of your shield and your own height.

Here's one of the classic SERGs with the 14" Clearview.

roady

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 06:08:59 PM »

Clearview is the way to go and you can even get a discount for being a member here. I cant enjoy the ride with the factory shield either.
09 SERG Electric Orange
05 VW Golf Diesel
00 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 11:01:49 PM »

Does anyone have experience with both the Cee Bailey and the Clearview? The more I read the more it seems people are recomending the Clearview but the Cee Bailey looks better. Which should I buy and why, Thank You ;D

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 11:45:14 PM »

Any 09 SERG owners in the 5'10" range care to make a reccommendation for the GT Med 13 1/2" as compared to the GT Lrg 14 1/2" Clearview shield? I am leaning toward the GT Med. any help will be appreciated!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 11:48:39 PM by Iglide »
The impossible just takes a little longer

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 11:55:01 PM »

Depends if you want to look through it or over. I have the Medium on an 06 Road Glide and wish it was lower. I will be ordering the short for the new Road Glide.

:pumpkin: :bananarock:
   Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 25 queries.