Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Cool Weather Ride Advice Sought  (Read 6671 times)

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: Cool Weather Ride Advice Sought
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 11:50:26 AM »

43 deg this morning, I had to rely on Under Armour and full leathers............Can't wait till my Gerbings get here. 2 more weeks.   
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 12:19:08 PM »

Does any of the electric stuff have a heat control, or is it on, or off. I don't have the body armor, but the same type of thing made for skiing, since I don't use a wind shield a neck gator is the best!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 12:32:37 PM »

Does any of the electric stuff have a heat control, or is it on, or off. I don't have the body armor, but the same type of thing made for skiing, since I don't use a wind shield a neck gator is the best!
Gerbing (and probably H-D) offers thermostats that can control heat. Gerbing offers a single or dual thermostat so you can zone where/how much heat you want.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 12:39:02 PM »

Gerbing (and probably H-D) offers thermostats that can control heat. Gerbing offers a single or dual thermostat so you can zone where/how much heat you want.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Man, just like heated seats in the car! Temps can change quickly here depending on how much sun you get, the controls would be nice.  Where the best sites as far as price??

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 12:39:33 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Gerbing and HD.  Same part with different label.  Don't know if it's still the case but used to be that you bought the clothes from Gerbing for longer warranty and price but bought the controller from HD as it was cheaper there.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2008, 12:41:22 PM »

Man, just like heated seats in the car! Temps can change quickly here depending on how much sun you get, the controls would be nice.  Where the best sites as far as price??
Haven't gotten that far in my research yet. Still not sure if the cost/use will be beneficial to me yet. :-\

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2008, 12:48:54 PM »

Haven't gotten that far in my research yet. Still not sure if the cost/use will be beneficial to me yet. :-\

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

That's what I was wondering, I have ridden for years with what I have, and for the most part don't get to cold, but toasty warms sounds nice!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2008, 12:53:18 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Harley's # for the dual control t-stat is 98541-04V.  Should be $80 at one of the 20% off shops.  That's with the cover.  At Gerbing it's $100 with another $10 for the cover.

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2008, 01:42:24 PM »

I can get a 15% military discount from Gerbing...
That is great ...    :bananarock:

One question:

If Gerbing is making gloves for H-D and H-D gloves are over-sized, does that mean the Gerbing's are over-sized too?
I just bought a pair of H-D in Large and they were too big for me so I had to sell them and if the size is the same for H-D and Gerbing, then I'm SOL, since Ger.. is out of stock on "Medium".

8) :( >:( :'(
Lack of money is the source of all evils.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2008, 01:48:55 PM »

after countless miles in my gerbing gloves, they no longer feel bulky. nicely broken in to my hands and grips

My Harley gloves are well broken as well.  And I never thought much about them, until I tried my wife's heated liners.  Just as warm and I can switch betwen my middle weight glovee or my rain proof gloves as needed.  I guess I have nothing bad to say about the gloves, only that the liners are just as good and more versitle... As well as cheaper!  I paid 150 after discounst for my gloves. Just bought the liner's for my wife over the summer at 80.

If Gerbing is making gloves for H-D and H-D gloves are over-sized, does that mean the Gerbing's are over-sized too?

The Gerbing gloves I've seen are identical to my Harley Gloves with the execption of the bar and shield logo being missing from the Gerbing branded glove.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2008, 01:55:48 PM »

I love the ability to control temperature with the rheostat (not really a thermostat), but the real pain is in locating the box for the rheostat.

I have been stuffing it in my jacket with the controls sticking up so I can adjust somewhat easily.

This is doomed as soon as you get off the bike and forget you are wired in, and pulls the control and wiring out the bottom.

I  could do without that, but have not figured out where I could permanently mount the control box to be accessible.

Has anyone drilled holes in the inner fairing to mount the control box?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 01:58:36 PM by FLHTCUSE3 »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2008, 02:08:37 PM »

what about some good industrial velcro? attach it to the tank console
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2008, 02:29:48 PM »

I love the ability to control temperature with the rheostat (not really a thermostat), but the real pain is in locating the box for the rheostat.

I have been stuffing it in my jacket with the controls sticking up so I can adjust somewhat easily.

This is doomed as soon as you get off the bike and forget you are wired in, and pulls the control and wiring out the bottom.

I  could do without that, but have not figured out where I could permanently mount the control box to be accessible.

Has anyone drilled holes in the inner fairing to mount the control box?

I saw a guy with the belt clip attached to the door of the right side lower.  He's run the feed cord out under the tank and accross the engine guard and then plugged it into the thermostat (rheostat). Claimed it did not get caught up in his leg or against the air cleaner... I don't trust the cords down there. I attach the rheo to the pocket on my FXRG pants.  Can't turn 'em with the gloves on without looking like a monkey humping a football but eventually I get it adjusted.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2008, 02:33:09 PM »

what about some good industrial velcro? attach it to the tank console

Not a  bad suggestion, very practical and workable, except I am a little anal and have spent a large sum of $$ for a fairly clean design.

Having said that, the appearance of a very practical solution like velcro doesn't quite meet my expectations.

I might try on a temporary basis and see if I get use to it, since it is a non destruction solution.
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2008, 02:35:05 PM »

may not work for everyone, but i keep mine in the rider backrest slot. keep the knob just above seat level, to adjust i reach behind and just run the side of my index finger across the knob to turn it
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.