Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: FOR ALL US HIGH SPEED JUNKIES  (Read 16217 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: FOR ALL US HIGH SPEED JUNKIES
« Reply #135 on: August 27, 2005, 08:16:03 PM »

You'll need to loosen the nut on the tie rod so that it can be adjust to perfectly center the heim joint with the threaded hold.  Loosen the nut only on the end closest to you (the outside tie rod).

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2005, 08:19:08 PM »

Included with the hardware package is a good sized o-ring.  It is specified for installation between the heim joint and the mounting tab on the side bracket.

It's obviously not sealing anything that might leak from the inside out and the joint becomes a solid mount to the side bracket when it's all tightened up.  So it must be there just to keep road crud from getting in around the heim joint.  As the kit comes to you there is already an o-ring installed between inner joint and its bracket.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2005, 08:21:45 PM »

Just an FYI.  When you loosen the nut from against the tie rod and when you go to tighten it use two wrenches like this (the tie rod has two flat sides so it can accept a wrench).   If you pull too hard solely against the tie rod it's possible to deform the heim joint in this kind of installation.  

This isn't in the Ride Str8 insructions.  But you really want to do it this, especially since there is plenty of room for both wrenches.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2005, 08:23:12 PM »

Cross shaft connected and tightened on both ends.  I had to loosen the outer unit joint on mine 1 1/2 full revolutions to perfectly center the heim joint with the threaded bolt hole.  You can see the o-ring under only very mild compression between the joint's bell and the bracket.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 08:24:10 PM by twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2005, 08:26:59 PM »

Side view of the same thing.  Install here is complete.  That bolt head you see below the tail pipe just forward of the new cross shaft is the bolt that will likely force you to loosen off the exhaust to have room to remove it and the side bracket.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2005, 08:27:37 PM »

Looks like apretty easy install! I can't wait to get mine done. Thanks again for all that you've done on the purchase. [smiley=biggthumpup.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2005, 08:28:56 PM »

All done.  Now I gotta wipe all the fingerprints off the bike, let it back down on the ground and ride it to dinner.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2005, 08:33:08 PM »

Looks like apretty easy install! I can't wait to get mine done. Thanks again for all that you've done on the purchase. [smiley=biggthumpup.gif]

It really is Jim.  If you're lucky enough to be able to sneak the loosened bottom bolt and side bracket out together like I was and not have to mess with loosening the exhaust you'll be in and out in just over a half an hour.

I'm not expecting any immediate great improvement in ride on the red bike.  I'm putting it on more for the "what if" because some of the problems seem to kind of come with time and wear or sometimes seem to come and go.  So in the red bike's case here it's just insurance.  If I do notice some improvement over something that I'd been too dense to notice as a problem before, then so much the better  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 08:33:57 PM by twolanerider »

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
  • Screamin Chicken Hatched 5/13/05
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2005, 06:25:15 AM »

Looking at the underside of your bike, DAMN THATS CLEAN.  I may get kicked out of here if anyone sees mine.  I ride it, wash it and shine it but I have not been keeping the underside cleaning up.  Thanks for all the info on the install and how about a little underside cleaning lesson?  JP [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]
05 Screamin Chicken, D&D FatCats, Kuryakyn Wild things Crusher build (Heads t46g cam Hi five AC) SERT Kuryakyn Panacea lights and funky extended brake pedal.

Triumph Rocket III - Pipes, Bags and JM music living with my dad for now

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2005, 09:42:44 AM »

Gee Don ................

I recall querying about a group purchase on the Ride Str8 a while ago, but the only response I got was to change the shocks.

I changed the shocks but missed this thread on the group purchase you just completed. Any chance of still joining?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2005, 10:39:52 AM »

Gee Don ................

I recall querying about a group purchase on the Ride Str8 a while ago, but the only response I got was to change the shocks.

I changed the shocks but missed this thread on the group purchase you just completed. Any chance of still joining?

Sorry you missed all the traffic here and in the group buy thread.  It just kind of "happened" a month or so ago and quickly developed in to a group buy.  Sorry the thread was missed by anyone that might have been interested.  I really didn't see it coming but there was just this one day when several guys were suddenly all talking about it all at the same time.  Then, "woila," we suddenly had ourselves a gang purchase.

Fear not though my friend.  As of just a few days ago you can still take advantage.  I was going to post this over in the group buy thread (the other place where all this info has been delivered).  But we can use it here too.

The manufacturer of the Ride Str8 had a wee bit of a problem keeping delivery ability actually up to speed with his suggestion of what delivery ability would be.  As a result we've got this backorder situation that many are waiting on.

In response to a suggestion to compensate the group for this delay he has graciously agreed to extend the group discounted price to individuals who may, in fact, purchase individually.  This will be good for a period of 30 days that began a couple of days ago.

You just need to contact him and make your order.  Tell him you are part of the CVO group buy that he worked with Don Carey on.  He should charge $375.00 per unit of which $50.00 can be returned to you when you return one bracket for it's core charge.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 12:03:32 PM by twolanerider »

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2005, 11:30:51 AM »

Twolane,

I would like to get in on this for the bike I have coming in. Will it fit the 06 the same at the 05. Could you list the phone number so I can call them.

Thanks for all the work you are doing!

Barry
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2005, 12:01:43 PM »

Twolane,

I would like to get in on this for the bike I have coming in. Will it fit the 06 the same at the 05. Could you list the phone number so I can call them.

Thanks for all the work you are doing!

Barry

Barry the fitment is 02 and newer.  So you'll be fine.  Go ahead and take a moment to read through the four or five posts in the group buy thread at this link:

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=mkt_group;action=display;num=1123273498

It's a short thread.  All the group buy's history and purchase information is there.  The very last post details the extension of the purchase to individuals.  I also put the website link and his phone number there.

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2005, 02:06:25 PM »

If anyone wants to cut to the end and get the drift here it is - best I can tell.

The install for the Str8 or the true track are both fairly easy and suggest a check on rear wheel alignment as part of the process.

We have a little Hatfield and Mccoy thing going over which one is best but both seem to work well for those who have them.

13+ members have gotten together to get a good deal on the Str8 model and others can join for a little while longer.  Several members are extremely loyal to their previous true track purchases, love them and will buy more soon.

A lot of members are seriously concerned about high speed stability so the Law Enforcement community can just watch for our unique color patterns, follow us around and sooner or later may get a free ride on one really neat bike to avoid giving us a ticket.  If they take one ride, they will clearly understand these things are meant to be ridden with gusto and may forgive our indescretion, let us go and visit their HD stealer to get one for themselves.

That sums it up best I can tell.  Peace, love and happiness to all and be safe at whatever speed you choose to ride.  JP  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Oh yeah,  YELLOW SEEGS RULE!!!!!  All the other colors are just wannabes - OK I finally said it and I feel better now.   [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]

« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 02:08:02 PM by pappy2 »
05 Screamin Chicken, D&D FatCats, Kuryakyn Wild things Crusher build (Heads t46g cam Hi five AC) SERT Kuryakyn Panacea lights and funky extended brake pedal.

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #149 on: August 28, 2005, 02:27:43 PM »

I though it might be time for a sidetrack onto something we can all agree on.  LOL

Actually, if I had bought a red one my thought might be different on that as well.  I was obviously kidding on the wannabe thing just wanted everybody to chill out and just get mad at me for a while.  Or maybe I wasn't, only my therapist knows for sure? [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 24 queries.