Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: FOR ALL US HIGH SPEED JUNKIES  (Read 16116 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: FOR ALL US HIGH SPEED JUNKIES
« Reply #165 on: August 29, 2005, 10:44:43 PM »

Wow, that was pretty quick for a back order!  Good deal! [smiley=beerchug.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #166 on: August 29, 2005, 10:50:17 PM »

Wow, that was pretty quick for a back order!  Good deal! [smiley=beerchug.gif]

It wasn't quite as quick as having it all ready when the order was placed as we were originally promised.  But it's quicker than the worst case it might have been.  All tolled, yeap, seemed like a pretty good deal.  I told Dan thank you on everyone's behalf for getting things out as quickly as they did.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #167 on: August 29, 2005, 10:59:22 PM »

So, what are we gonna group buy next? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #168 on: August 29, 2005, 11:08:58 PM »

So, what are we gonna group buy next? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

A group trip to Hooters !!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 11:09:21 PM by twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2005, 01:09:33 AM »

Talk about fast, Mine got here today Don, The USPS must have been working over the weekend. I will be installing it tomorrow [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Thanks!!

Damn, one day delivery from the central US to the West Coast on regular old Priority Mail.  That's a mailman who had his Wheeties!  Glad it got there so quick Jim.

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
  • Screamin Chicken Hatched 5/13/05
« Reply #170 on: August 30, 2005, 01:40:22 AM »

Ok I am in for the Hooters GP.  Since I was patient on the str8 delivery I want (ok-lets just say I need) my Hooters first and promise to laser align them, fully road test them and take lots of pictures so you all completely understand the installation process.  Wait, are you talking about chicken wings?  JP [smiley=banana.gif]

The good news is the laser alignment thing is shipping tommorow as well so I should have all the goodies to spend a nice day playing with my Chicken.  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 01:42:29 AM by pappy2 »
05 Screamin Chicken, D&D FatCats, Kuryakyn Wild things Crusher build (Heads t46g cam Hi five AC) SERT Kuryakyn Panacea lights and funky extended brake pedal.

Triumph Rocket III - Pipes, Bags and JM music living with my dad for now

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #171 on: August 30, 2005, 01:49:03 AM »

Talk about fast, Mine got here today Don, The USPS must have been working over the weekend. I will be installing it tomorrow [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Thanks!!

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #172 on: August 30, 2005, 10:47:04 AM »

My ridin' buddy told me he has since repaired the damage (that included replacing the oil pan and putting Helicoils in all 3 of the 1/4-20 holes) however, he still had the broken oil pan and would provide me some pictures ASAP and I will post them here as soon as he emails them to me (I have not personally seen the damage as of yet either).  [smiley=pumpkin.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #173 on: August 30, 2005, 10:57:52 AM »

Did he contact Ride-Str8?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2005, 11:18:40 AM »

My ridin' buddy told me he has since repaired the damage (that included replacing the oil pan and putting Helicoils in all 3 of the 1/4-20 holes) however, he still had the broken oil pan and would provide me some pictures ASAP and I will post them here as soon as he emails them to me (I have not personally seen the damage as of yet either).  [smiley=pumpkin.gif]

So it broke the pan without also breaking the tranny case just above it?  

In that case I'd really love to see the pictures.  I'm glad helicoils were able to save his bacon, but I just can't picture any lateral stresses that are actually going to break the pan but still leave enough meat in the bolt tabs of the tranny body just above it that a helicoil would even be possible.  There is, after all, much more bolt (and their incumbent transmitted forces) in the body than in the pan.  The bolt contact in the body is actually direct (tightened up via the threads) with no room for any "play" to accept possible stresses while the same bolt merely passes through the pan.

Given the structural dynamics at play here if the damage is as I'm now picturing based on the description given I've really got to suspect other forces at play.  What they might be, of course, we don't know; at least not yet.  But having now seen how the Ride Str8 mounts and reading about that breakage pattern described here it's tough to visualize one leading to the other.  They may have happened within hours or days or weeks of each other; but that won't necessarily mean one caused the other.

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #175 on: August 30, 2005, 01:54:17 PM »

When I orderd my True-track , I questioned the idea of controling all lateral movement with just a bracket attached to one section of one side of the pan.  The True-track guy told me that is why his unit is so beefy.  Machined from an 11 lb block of billet aluminum, to encase the entire rear section of the pan, with the control point dead center of the midline of the bike.  He mentioned pan cracking with the ride str-8.  they also dont like the idea of controlling lateral loading from one side rather than in the center line like the other two control points already on the bike.  I looked at both products on the respective web sites after our discussion....I chose the True-track for  1)  it's design and theory behind it and  2)  for it's price  ( although I can bet it costs more to produce than the Ride Str-8 )   If you went with a Ride-Str8....good idea cause it's cheap insurance and living is a good thing !   But I would keep an eye on the pan bracket area....there is a lot of stress being applied to that edge.
Jusy one guys opinion... I could be wrong.
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2005, 02:36:16 PM »

there is a lot of stress being applied to that edge.
Jusy one guys opinion... I could be wrong.

Syclone, that was exactly my question when all this first came up; just how much lateral stress is being applied there.  I tried to do some of the math and found out it's been way too long since structrual dynamics in grad school and that I had to make too many assumptions.  But a grad school prof I had "way back then" does ride so a few days ago I bundled it all up and sent it off to him.  He's also geek enough to enjoy this sort of thing.

After chewing on it for a few days this email came back today after lunch:

Have looked at everything you have sent my boy.  Material properties should handle any stresses from any riding we will ever do.  The other one might be marginally stronger but not in the stress envelope we need to worry about.

That was the important part.  There was another paragraph of general rudeness and a request for "lots of money" in payment for doing the math.  But that was the important part.  

So; given what we know so far, what the manufacturer told us, and discounting what we're merely speculating on it seems we're likely just fine to go slapping those puppies on there and can trust none of us will suffer any personal deletions for having done so.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2005, 03:02:01 PM »

they also dont like the idea of controlling lateral loading from one side rather than in the [bgcolor=Yellow]center line like the other two control points already on the bike.[/bgcolor]  

I don't follow that statement.  The H.D. upper stabilizer mounts to the left side of the cylinder heads, not the center, and the other end mounts to a bracket to the right of the center line.  The stationary end of the lower link mounts to a bracket to the left side of the center line.  Nothing different than running a link from the trans to the right side of the frame.  Am I missing something here?
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2005, 03:44:11 PM »

2lane
do you have stock in this ride str8 company? why you are defending a product that you have little or no experience with. I know I would be real angry if I put one on my bike and something busted due to this product. I would also be pissed at anyone who made recommendations without experience. I know I was offering some info that might be helpful. Your engineering anylsis is flawed based on the fact that you are only looking at lateral movement. Just one look and any knowledgeable engineer would tell you distributing the load/impact to a larger area is an improvement in design, there endeth the lesson [smiley=furious.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2005, 04:22:40 PM »

2lane
do you have stock in this ride str8 company? why you are defending a product that you have little or no experience with. I know I would be real angry if I put one on my bike and something busted due to this product. I would also be pissed at anyone who made recommendations without experience.

there endeth the lesson [smiley=furious.gif]

Nope, no stock in the company O'Fender.  But I'm guessing you assumed as much before asking the question simply based on all the prior discussions in the thread.  Especially relative most of the insignifcant accusations we playfully throw at one another around here that kind of conflict is a pretty serious accusation to make though.  It does, after all, imply disinterest in the money my friends and others here have spent and a disinterest in their personal safety.  

So no stock or other fiduciary interest in the company.   As for having an interest, however, you bet your ass.   My ass is going to be riding on this product.  That makes me very interested.

If you'll read back I never discounted the fact of your buddy's failure.  I did try to understand it.  Your relating your buddy's incident happening as it has concurrent with an entire group's decision to buy the Ride Str8 has made it important to try to find out as much as we can.  Since I was wrangling the group purchase for everyone, and therefore felt some sense of responsiblity for them spending the money, I did go out and look over user groups and other web sites (lots of them) looking for anecdotal or other supporting history to the incident you shared.  

That's just covering our butts.  Nothing more and nothing less; and certainly nothing to do with you;  or your buddy's unfortunate failure.  

I also asked someone a whole lot smarter than I am to consider it.  Again, just doing what we can to cover our butts.  If you'll remember back at the beginning of this thread my personal plan was to buy the True Track.  Solely a price based decision as they both seemed satisfactory to the job they purported to do.  

The majority of others, however, seemed more interested in the Ride Str8.  After speaking with people at both companies Ride Str8 offered us a much more substantial group discount.  Enough, in fact, that it had become the lesser expensive product.  So since it was the majority's initial interest and was now cheaper that's where the buy happened.  

If someone had an important issue to bring up about either one it would have been nicer to have it before the decision had been made.  We didnt though.  It would not have made one bit of difference, however, to the decision to check things out.

If we'd bought either one, and then in the middle of the purchasing process someone voiced a serious issue, I would have been irresponsible if I'd not done something to research that issue.  So as the history of this thread shows we took your issue responsibly and did not simply dismiss it.  We contacted the manufacturer and got a generally forthcoming response.  We (two of us working independently) researched quite a few hours on the net looking for supporting evidence or corrolary incidents.  We found none.  None.  And I asked a really bright guy to check the math.

All that sir, was just to verify information and to respond responsibly to what you'd told us.  No one dismissed your story.  If it had not been taken seriously none of that work would have been done.  

The fact that we did that work in no way implies that I nor anyone else has an interest in one company or the other.  The only interest is in our butts setting on top of any one product.  To protect that particular I will certainly do a little homework.

So I have no interest in the one company.  No one ever dismissively or condescendingly asked if any interest is being served for the other company by continually casting doubt on the product that was in fact purchased.  It's a shame that level of respect wasn't shared here.

The manufacturer has written us that no one has ever told him of such a failure.  We got it in writing so that it could be contradicted if your buddy had done so.  We asked for a photo that might then be sent to the manufacturer.  Nothing was provided.  So far all we've got is the incidental history of one failure that happened to occur about the same time a Ride Str8 was installed.  

We don't doubt that it happened.  We, of course, researched the issue.  And we seem to be generally comfortable with our choice.  Might we be wrong later?  Sure; absolutely.  Based on what we've learned I don't expect it.  But don't assume ill motives or apparent ignorance on mine or any other buyer's part just because they did homework based on your story and didn't find support enough to change our minds.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 04:34:11 PM by twolanerider »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 20 queries.