Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: 09 engine paint peeling  (Read 46571 times)

weamdog

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 FLHTCUSE4
    • Virtual Garage
Re: 09 engine paint peeling
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2008, 07:32:06 PM »

never fear, chrome is on the way :)  i'll just have them "repair" it for now, knowing that i won't be satisfied until i get them to replace the case when (probably not if) they ever have to do engine work.  if all else fails, i think i may have a contact that could fix it without tearing the motor down.
'00 FLSTS
'09 FLHTCUSE4 (Autumn Haze/Octane Orange)

JMS

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3 Black and Green
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2008, 10:08:45 PM »

never fear, chrome is on the way :)  i'll just have them "repair" it for now, knowing that i won't be satisfied until i get them to replace the case when (probably not if) they ever have to do engine work.  if all else fails, i think i may have a contact that could fix it without tearing the motor down.

I don't think my powder coated inner primary (the one I took off) will fit it, if so you can have it......

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2008, 10:36:16 PM »

I found out this afternoon that the MOCO was going to cover my chipped powdercoating on my '08 SERK inner primary.  The rear wheel is also going to be replace for the chrome pitting or slight chipping.

My dealership is getting this done without any words of encouragement from me.  They really know how to take care of people.

As long as you have them service the bike from new, they offer new tires for life.  I have over 6200 miles on it now and the front tire is really worn and scalloped quite badly.  For just the service charge, they're putting on a new tire. 

I thought maybe having the service done by them would be too expensive, but it may turn out to be a fair deal for me.  I'm capable of doing my own work, but they take care of me from my warranty issues and make me feel good.  Just getting the powdercoating and the chrome taken care of without ANY kicking or screaming means a lot to me.

I wish you call could have a dealership like Doc's Harley Davidson of Kirkwood MO.  They are THE number one HD in the nation for new buyer experience.  When I was just buying a few shovelhead parts and asking way more questions than my little purchases could have paid for, they gave me the time of day and even helped me with some of my issues.  I couldn't ask for more than that.

Patty Bush, the owner, is great and her HD family knows how to take care of people.

I know,  :beatdeadhorse:  :beatdeadhorse:  :beatdeadhorse:  :beatdeadhorse:

I'll leave it at that...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2008, 04:47:41 AM »

I had a small spot on my 08 flake, I ordered some granite paint from the parts dept. I touched it up, it looks pretty good, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the one in the picture. But they do sell "Granite" touch up paint.

MMMM.... selling granite touchup paint already. I wonder if the MoCo knew of things to come. THE MUFFMAN

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2008, 04:49:44 AM »

I found out this afternoon that the MOCO was going to cover my chipped powdercoating on my '08 SERK inner primary.  The rear wheel is also going to be replace for the chrome pitting or slight chipping.

My dealership is getting this done without any words of encouragement from me.  They really know how to take care of people.

As long as you have them service the bike from new, they offer new tires for life.  I have over 6200 miles on it now and the front tire is really worn and scalloped quite badly.  For just the service charge, they're putting on a new tire. 

I thought maybe having the service done by them would be too expensive, but it may turn out to be a fair deal for me.  I'm capable of doing my own work, but they take care of me from my warranty issues and make me feel good.  Just getting the powdercoating and the chrome taken care of without ANY kicking or screaming means a lot to me.

I wish you call could have a dealership like Doc's Harley Davidson of Kirkwood MO.  They are THE number one HD in the nation for new buyer experience.  When I was just buying a few shovelhead parts and asking way more questions than my little purchases could have paid for, they gave me the time of day and even helped me with some of my issues.  I couldn't ask for more than that.

Patty Bush, the owner, is great and her HD family knows how to take care of people.

I know,  :beatdeadhorse:  :beatdeadhorse:  :beatdeadhorse:  :beatdeadhorse:

I'll leave it at that...

Sounds like you latched onto a good dealer. Good to hear the good chit as well. THE MUFFMAN

Cigarmike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2008, 10:52:29 AM »

I couldn't go through all 117 pages, but on the first two I didn't notice any mention of powdercoat coming off the engine.

I think that link to the thread on the '06 paint problem is more in refference to HD's customer service, not the actual peeling paint on the motor. If this is just a couple isolated incidents, then I'm sure MoCo will take care of you, if its a widespread problem involving many bikes, then heres what you can expect...(I speak from personal experience) wether your dealership stands behind you or not (mine did not). they will first have to have a factory rep come out to take a look, he will then tell the service manager to inform you that its normal, and shoot down the claim, but he also doesnt want the service manager to tell you this untill the factory rep has left town. Now if your dealership is one of the good ones ( mine was not), they will fight for you to get this decision overturned with some luck in some cases, the rest of us that are left holding our dic's, then will have to call Wisconsin and fight for what is right, all the while getting the run-around, lied too etc.after numerous complaints, and victims geting together, MoCo getting slammed on the internet, threats of lawsuits and hours and hours of phone calls, waiting on hold, then hearing MoCo higher-ups masterbate over the phone with you, Months go by, then you find out that MoCo actually did replace some of the faulty cases on a few bikes, You say to yourself, "Self, why did they get new cases, and I did not?"

Long story short, in the end, you all probably will get taken care of, some might take up to 2 years or more ( Mine took 2 years and 2 sets of new parts) but some of you will give up, and fix the problem yourself somehow, this will be a long hard-fought battle for most of you, they will try and win by making you so damned sick of getting the run-around, that you give up, thus raising the HD stock another .0000001% with each customer that stops calling, this will get somebody in MoCo a huge Bonus for saving the company $$ by not affecting the bottom line in a negative way. These people will also get promotions to higher positions in the company.
Well, I hope that I could help shed some light on what you might be in for, I hope that they learned from the last mistakes they made, but I doubt it. Happy RiDing Everyone !!!

P.S., Me, I'd just take the motor out and have it polished, but thats just me.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 11:00:57 AM by Cigarmike »
You will get no more Respect than you are willing to give.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2008, 11:16:54 AM »

CigarMike!! That is the best discription of how it works from Harley that I have heard.  It's all about negotiations and wife swapping!!!!
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2008, 02:22:54 PM »

When I talked to my service advisor yesterday afternoon, he said that he had to take a picture or two and send it to Milwaukee for approval.  It was approved.

Which leads me to believe that what we've had listed here in this thread, IS an annomoly and not the norm.  Look at all the '08 SE bikes on this forum and only a few are having powdercoat flaking issues.  So as CigarMike said, with a few problems they will step up and take care of it.

In some cases if there's going to be issues with more and more bikes, it's sometimes best to be first in the line.  They are more willing to get you taken care of.  But once it's an epidemic, they hide their head under a rock.  Maybe it should be a great HEAVY rock to boot.

Look at the guys that had the new motors installed because at that time I think the MOCO "thought" that would fix the oil leak problems.  Of course some of them were running without out of spec crank runout as well.  But once they failed as well and tons more poeple were complaining, the new replacement motors stopped cold in the pipeline.

So on my primary case, which I think I'm the only one here with the issue there, I got taken care with just a little documentation.  The other few people with the case powdercoating around the lifter blocks flaking, this may be an issue because, hey, you have to split the motor to fix this and that's a lot of money.

I think the wheels on my bike, the '08 SERK, are the same for both '07 and '08.  I have small pits on the rear wheel and they are taking care of that as well.  New wheel coming next week.

I was a service manager for 15 years at a Chevy/Pontiac dealership back in the '70s and '80s.  I know what these guys have to do sometimes to get things covered.  In about '78 we had tons of HEI modules go bad and they would cause a no start condition.  The car would be towed into the dealership and before they let them down I would reach in and hit the key and they would start right up.

We replace modules and that took care of the problem, at least for the customer.  When the ASM would come and use our test equipment to test the modules for warranty review, they would pass and they would not honor the replacements.  I figured out real quick that if I took a couple female wiring spads and hooked them to a 120 volt power cord, I could hook them to the module leads and plug it into the wall socket.  Guess what, they failed after that and there were no marks on the modules.  So you do what you have to do to get paid.

I know, I've said this before, but my experience with the MOCO is not as deep as some of yours, but I can see with the gasket/cylinder issues that they should have at least said they had a problem and they would keep trying until they got it right.  Even if they didn't know the extent of the cause, I think that would have gone a LONG way to keep us loyal customers.  The archive book was nothing more than a bribe to keep as quiet as we can about this problem.  Not that I haven't enjoyed my book, I have, but it's still just a pay off of sorts.

The only way I see that this will go quickly and smoothly for you flaky crankcase guys, pun intended, is if you're the only few that are having the problems.  If more show up and join the complaint list, the harder it's going to be to get it covered, at least quickly.

So good luck to the guys with the case flaking issues. 
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2008, 04:23:21 PM »

I think that link to the thread on the '06 paint problem is more in refference to HD's customer service, not the actual peeling paint on the motor. If this is just a couple isolated incidents, then I'm sure MoCo will take care of you, if its a widespread problem involving many bikes, then heres what you can expect...(I speak from personal experience) wether your dealership stands behind you or not (mine did not). they will first have to have a factory rep come out to take a look, he will then tell the service manager to inform you that its normal, and shoot down the claim, but he also doesnt want the service manager to tell you this untill the factory rep has left town. Now if your dealership is one of the good ones ( mine was not), they will fight for you to get this decision overturned with some luck in some cases, the rest of us that are left holding our dic's, then will have to call Wisconsin and fight for what is right, all the while getting the run-around, lied too etc.after numerous complaints, and victims geting together, MoCo getting slammed on the internet, threats of lawsuits and hours and hours of phone calls, waiting on hold, then hearing MoCo higher-ups masterbate over the phone with you, Months go by, then you find out that MoCo actually did replace some of the faulty cases on a few bikes, You say to yourself, "Self, why did they get new cases, and I did not?"

Long story short, in the end, you all probably will get taken care of, some might take up to 2 years or more ( Mine took 2 years and 2 sets of new parts) but some of you will give up, and fix the problem yourself somehow, this will be a long hard-fought battle for most of you, they will try and win by making you so damned sick of getting the run-around, that you give up, thus raising the HD stock another .0000001% with each customer that stops calling, this will get somebody in MoCo a huge Bonus for saving the company $$ by not affecting the bottom line in a negative way. These people will also get promotions to higher positions in the company.
Well, I hope that I could help shed some light on what you might be in for, I hope that they learned from the last mistakes they made, but I doubt it. Happy RiDing Everyone !!!

P.S., Me, I'd just take the motor out and have it polished, but thats just me.

Absolute Gospel here, bud.  I wish I could add to that.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2008, 04:45:29 PM »

Kuryakyn makes a chrome cover that covers that entire area and it looks absolutely awesome.  I had it on my last bike and after I get to the major item (exhaust), that will be the first piece I put on the right side of the engine.  Left side will be the chrome inner primary (or I may even just go with the Kuryakyn cover for that also this time).  Harley makes a part for that area, but it does not cover all of the powder coated surface like the Kuryakyn does.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2008, 05:05:03 PM »

I'm trying to get Harley to spring for that cover but the Moco want's them to just use touch-up paint(NOT). The negotiations continue!!
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Cigarmike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2008, 05:42:44 PM »

Kuryakyn makes a chrome cover that covers that entire area and it looks absolutely awesome.  I had it on my last bike and after I get to the major item (exhaust), that will be the first piece I put on the right side of the engine.  Left side will be the chrome inner primary (or I may even just go with the Kuryakyn cover for that also this time).  Harley makes a part for that area, but it does not cover all of the powder coated surface like the Kuryakyn does.

Even if there was a cover that made it look OK on the outside, being the people that we are that buy 'Special' scooters, I would still know that the paint was flaking under my nice chrome cover, and I would'nt be able to sleep at night. Nobody can see the bottom of my bike, but I still clean and wax down under there too. I hope that I am not the only one that is like this on here?.  :o

I hope its just a few bad ones that slipped thru when maybe the guy responsible for cleaning the parts before painting was hung-over or something that day?, and you all get taken care of. One thing I forgot to add in my first post, I was also at one point accused of the faulty paint actually being my fault, watch out for that angle too. Good Luck you guys.
You will get no more Respect than you are willing to give.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2008, 05:59:11 PM »

I know I would want the paint fixed even if I was going to cover it with something.  I found a dent in my fender (from the inside pushing it outward) when I got home the day I purchased it.  They tried to tell me it was bad enough to cover it by warranty.  I told them that I would stop payment on my check and they can give me back my old bike.  Guess who has a new fender coming.

JMS

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3 Black and Green
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2008, 08:34:44 PM »

I know I would want the paint fixed even if I was going to cover it with something.  I found a dent in my fender (from the inside pushing it outward) when I got home the day I purchased it.  They tried to tell me it was bad enough to cover it by warranty.  I told them that I would stop payment on my check and they can give me back my old bike.  Guess who has a new fender coming.

We are spending lots of money, we should demand quality.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2008, 09:18:01 AM »

Darn right! If I'm paying CVO money, I expect Honda quality! :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 24 queries.