Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: 09 engine paint peeling  (Read 46552 times)

JMS

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3 Black and Green
Re: 09 engine paint peeling
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2008, 07:05:28 PM »

Darn right! If I'm paying CVO money, I expect Honda quality! :D

Thats funny...

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2008, 11:51:15 AM »

Just an update on my '08 SERK.

As you all know, I had the powdercoating flaking, chipping, coming off just inside the shift shaft support area on the inner primary.  The price for the granite powdercoated and chrome inner primary are the same price.  They installed a chrome one for me at no extra charge.

The rear wheel was sent in and replaced without issues.  They did the Amsoil motor oil change, which they stock at the dealership, and did the other fluids as well.  The performed all the campaigns for the gaskets, bolt, ACR's etc and the motor runs fine.  I was not able to "hear" the motor as well with being all bundled up with extra neck muff on and all the padding back in my helmet, so I can't tell yet if my sewing machine is gone between 2500 to 3200 rpms.  The oil and the movement of the rocker boxes may have helped some.  But if it's loose pistons, not a chance.

As far as I'm concerned, all is fine in HD land.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

Later dudes and dudettes...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2008, 12:00:17 PM »

How do I get my inner primary to flake?  I want a free chrome inner primary too.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2008, 02:01:25 PM »

How do I get my inner primary to flake?  I want a free chrome inner primary too.

Oven Cleaner, or a strong engine cleaner solvent. You might even have luck with a car wash jet spray.  :oops:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2008, 01:51:18 AM »

Just an update on my '08 SERK.

As you all know, I had the powdercoating flaking, chipping, coming off just inside the shift shaft support area on the inner primary.  The price for the granite powdercoated and chrome inner primary are the same price.  They installed a chrome one for me at no extra charge.

The rear wheel was sent in and replaced without issues.  They did the Amsoil motor oil change, which they stock at the dealership, and did the other fluids as well.  The performed all the campaigns for the gaskets, bolt, ACR's etc and the motor runs fine.  I was not able to "hear" the motor as well with being all bundled up with extra neck muff on and all the padding back in my helmet, so I can't tell yet if my sewing machine is gone between 2500 to 3200 rpms.  The oil and the movement of the rocker boxes may have helped some.  But if it's loose pistons, not a chance.

As far as I'm concerned, all is fine in HD land.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

Later dudes and dudettes...

Not sure how these will look, I took them with my iPhone and chrome is hard to see, but here is the first of two shots to see the new chrome inner primary.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2008, 01:52:10 AM »

Not sure how these will look, I took them with my iPhone and chrome is hard to see, but here is the first of two shots to see the new chrome inner primary.

Here's the second picture from the rear.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2008, 01:55:50 AM »

Here's the second picture from the rear.

And if you all forgot, this is what it looked like with the flaking powdercoating.

I think I like the chrome better.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2008, 03:22:30 AM »

And if you all forgot, this is what it looked like with the flaking powdercoating.

I think I like the chrome better.

Now, you need only the chrome shifter space  :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=21256.0;all

Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2008, 10:59:15 AM »

Against that engine color the chromed inner looks great.  Very very nice.  Congrats on the new bling :2vrolijk_21: .

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »

chrome inner primary always trumps a powder coated inner. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2008, 12:42:29 PM »

Now, you need only the chrome shifter space  :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=21256.0;all

Jacques

Thanks for bringing this up.  It will be done now.

I think we have some stainless at work that I'll turned down for this piece.  Then I'll polish it up at home.  Not that $20 is a lot of money, but let's see, buy a piece from HD or a large pizza?  I think I'll vote for the pizza.

I would think this part is just a spacer with a through hole.  Shouldn't be too hard to make.  I can probably do that one myself.  Sometimes the more difficult jobs like waterjet have to run through as a "government" job and I buy some beer for the foreman.

I haven't looked at the bike enough yet to actually know if I like it better or not.  I've not been a big fan of the add-on pieces around the base of the cylinders and the inner primary covers etc, but I won't have to worry about powdercoating chipping anymore.

:)  :)  :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 01:17:56 PM by Dan_Lockwood »
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2009, 10:33:28 AM »

Update on my peeling paint, MoCo or should I say MoFo's told dealer to touch up, I said it wasn't acceptable. Dealer called me and said rep told them to try new "procedure" for this repair. I called customer service they told me that I wouldn't get new csaes for a cosmetic problem, dealer said just keep rejecting if I'm not happy, they're trying but HD is not ready to give in yet,
I'd like to know who got new cases and how many "repairs" were done before they decided to replace cases, information much appreciated.
Rep also said that cosmetics weren't a warranty item, isn't the attempt at repair with MoCo covering cost for these repairs precedence?
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »

Update on my peeling paint, MoCo or should I say MoFo's told dealer to touch up, I said it wasn't acceptable. Dealer called me and said rep told them to try new "procedure" for this repair. I called customer service they told me that I wouldn't get new csaes for a cosmetic problem, dealer said just keep rejecting if I'm not happy, they're trying but HD is not ready to give in yet,
I'd like to know who got new cases and how many "repairs" were done before they decided to replace cases, information much appreciated.
Rep also said that cosmetics weren't a warranty item, isn't the attempt at repair with MoCo covering cost for these repairs precedence?

The "Rep" is FOS.  I don't remember anything in the warranty statement from Harley that excludes poorly applied/adhered paint from the 2 year "bumper to bumper" warranty.  It is either a defect in material or application, since powder coat is not designed to flake off.  In fact, one advantage of powdercoat is improved chip resistance (tougher material).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2009, 11:02:42 AM »

Ask these guys how's come they replaced peeling chrome on SEEGs and poorly painted tins on '06 SEUCs? :confused5:

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2009, 12:08:39 PM »

I did they said warranty verbage has changed, pretty much BS.
They're just dragging it out, but somehow I'm pretty sure no matter what they do the patch will continue to flake off, just a funny feeling...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 12:14:02 PM by bunt »
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 20 queries.