Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: 09 engine paint peeling  (Read 46965 times)

Muddywaters

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
Re: 09 engine paint peeling
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2009, 11:51:39 AM »

wow   this sucks
I had similier issues with my 04 wheels

Yea, I know...this is what 30 plus K gets one...bbrown, what was the outcome with your 04 wheels? Muddy
Save The Wave...

Muddywaters

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2009, 12:01:04 PM »

Muddy-

Yours is the worst I have seen.  Unacceptable.  Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Boatman...hey, speaking of boats...were heading for the lake today, (Bass Fishn') smile. Needless to say, need some good time on the water after all what's going on with this scooter. The problem is...this is just the tip of the iceburg. We went down (due to the fork lock issue) 3K damage, MoCo took care of that! Had the recall, then had to do a cam set due to cam bolt sheared in two....now this, which has been happening all along. Makes one wonder...what's next???

BTW: Sure would like to know, what the status is, of the members issues above?? Thanks, and have a great safe weekend!!! ;) Muddy
Save The Wave...

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2009, 12:38:27 PM »

Yea, I know...this is what 30 plus K gets one...bbrown, what was the outcome with your 04 wheels? Muddy

MoCo did cover the replacements (4 by the way ) but not without a lot of bitching

Muddywaters

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2009, 05:08:38 PM »

MoCo did cover the replacements (4 by the way ) but not without a lot of bitching

bbrown: 4 as in 4 rims for the same scooter? Yep, I'm pretty long winded here too!!! hope I don't have to scream too loud! smile. Muddy
Save The Wave...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2009, 08:26:06 PM »

......................... 08 SERK. I purchased RK Aug 08, and Just found out... regional rep. has denied warranty. He indicated  local atmosphere is the problem! .....................................

From your photo's I would guess you rode through a cloud of highly corrosive material that etched your wheels while blasting the powdercoat loose from the engine.  Obviously that service rep is correct, there is no way H-D would ever release a product with those kinds of problems, it has to be something you did or some evil atmospheric fallout.

How does the paint job look?  Since powdercoat and chrome are much tougher than regular old paint, I have to assume that your paint has been stripped to bare metal by this evil atmospheric problem by now.  I sure hope you didn't leave your car parked outside next to the bike.

You need to elevate this to a level way above that moron rep.  The finishes used on modern vehicles are expected to stand up to atmospheric pollution these days, not that I'm saying the cause of your issue is pollution.  H-D has had many cases of case and cylinder powdercoat peeling, and I don't remember it being an issue only in certain highly polluted areas of the country.  They know it's their problem, and if you can work your way through the maze of idiots like this service rep and find a manager with some brains and a modicum of honesty you will get your issues resolved.  Damn shame they continue to make us go through all this just to get what we paid for.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Muddywaters

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2009, 12:38:43 PM »

From your photo's I would guess you rode through a cloud of highly corrosive material that etched your wheels while blasting the powdercoat loose from the engine.  Obviously that service rep is correct, there is no way H-D would ever release a product with those kinds of problems, it has to be something you did or some evil atmospheric fallout.

How does the paint job look?  Since powdercoat and chrome are much tougher than regular old paint, I have to assume that your paint has been stripped to bare metal by this evil atmospheric problem by now.  I sure hope you didn't leave your car parked outside next to the bike.

You need to elevate this to a level way above that moron rep.  The finishes used on modern vehicles are expected to stand up to atmospheric pollution these days, not that I'm saying the cause of your issue is pollution.  H-D has had many cases of case and cylinder powdercoat peeling, and I don't remember it being an issue only in certain highly polluted areas of the country.  They know it's their problem, and if you can work your way through the maze of idiots like this service rep and find a manager with some brains and a modicum of honesty you will get your issues resolved.  Damn shame they continue to make us go through all this just to get what we paid for.

Jerry

grc: Jerry...Fortunalely the paint is perfect, TG! Spoke to Customer Service last Thur, and they (Her) replied Friday. She says, she called local dealership and confirmed that area Rep did look at scooter, did determin that the issue was atmoshere! She said, the case will be closed. Needless to say, I had a different opinion! I asked her if she had seen the images? Her reply was no!! I have now emailed her all the images with detailed log of events on this bike. Waiting again....

For the life of me... I can't figure out what is going on here, and for the life of me... can not understsand the stance of MoCo. For one thing, I know for a fact, that this is not a atmoshere issue. This scooter is sitting right beside our perfectly restored 1972 LT-1 Corvette. This is a 3 year old restore...the LT-1's chrome has been completley re-chromed (every piece),and many pieces of the suspension have been power coated. No issues with the Corvette, and there both sitting right beside each other... in an insulated garage. This scooter has never been outside overnight unless we were staying in a motel.  On top that...if it was an atmosphere issue...would'nt the power coating be chipping all around the cylinder heads (both sides)?? Well, on the heads and barrels..it is only on one side!

Needless to say, sure could use some suggestions, (email me if need be, donniechaney@aol.com) to this issue. Thanks for eveyone's help!! Muddy

Save The Wave...

Muddywaters

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2009, 12:40:50 PM »

Here is another pic...of the Corvettes engine bay....Needless to say, both the LT-1 and SERK get covers  ;) Muddy

Save The Wave...

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2009, 03:16:37 PM »

Customer service said that cosmetics were not a warranty item as I stated in earlier post, they have since painted mine twice. looks like we're going to go through the motions on this for a while, dealer has been supportive but I think their hands are tied. Current paint patch doesn't look bad and if it holds up for the next 5 years I'll not push, what do you think the odds of that are. Loved it when I was told HD Rep. told tech to rub a little dirt and oil over patch to help make it blend.
In the mean time the cylinders are off for the 3rd time to try and stop leak at case, getting close to lemon law territory.
What a pain in the arse.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2009, 04:50:34 PM »

Customer service said that cosmetics were not a warranty item as I stated in earlier post, they have since painted mine twice. looks like we're going to go through the motions on this for a while, dealer has been supportive but I think their hands are tied. Current paint patch doesn't look bad and if it holds up for the next 5 years I'll not push, what do you think the odds of that are. Loved it when I was told HD Rep. told tech to rub a little dirt and oil over patch to help make it blend.
In the mean time the cylinders are off for the 3rd time to try and stop leak at case, getting close to lemon law territory.
What a pain in the arse.

Strange, I don't remember reading anything in the warranty statement that says that.  Maybe they would like to point it out to us in writing so we can post it all over the internet for their prospective customers.  (I wonder if that might affect sales :confused5: )

Paint is cosmetic, chrome is cosmetic, and most of what Harley sells is cosmetic (style) as opposed to technical or functional excellence.  If they propose to not fix their "cosmetic" defects then they need to specifically state that in the customer copy of the warranty and they have not done so to the best of my knowledge.  This is just another case of trying to screw customers with outright lies so they'll give up and go away, just like their original responses to the 110 fiasco.  When enough people bitch, or sue them, the story will likely change just like it did with the head gaskets.

To paraphrase a gentleman from New York, FTW and FTMoCo.  Let me know when they decide to build a quality product and actually stand behind it, maybe I'll stop by and see if I'd be willing to buy one.  Based on previous performance I'm betting I won't have to worry about carrying my check book by a Harley dealer anytime soon.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Muddywaters

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2009, 11:18:01 PM »

I have to agree in regards to the dealership...they do have their hands tied. And in my case, they just shake their heads and say...this is not right! They go on  and concure...for this amout of money, they MoCo should do the right thing! We'll see. At this monemt, have not heard any word back in regards to  the supplied images I emailed them. Muddy
Save The Wave...

serg18

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG Orange- Sold
    • CVO2: 13 SERG gold/green- Sold
    • CVO3: 14 Red CVO limited- new ride
engine paint
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2010, 06:38:16 PM »

I will post pictures later but the paint on my motor is starting to peel.  MOCO says they will try to paint it before they will entertain any further action.  anyone else having this issue?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: engine paint
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2010, 06:41:48 PM »

I will post pictures later but the paint on my motor is starting to peel.  MOCO says they will try to paint it before they will entertain any further action.  anyone else having this issue?
Merged your thread w/an existing thread already in this board.. seems that you are not the only one. :(

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2010, 07:07:38 PM »

And if you all forgot, this is what it looked like with the flaking powdercoating.

I think I like the chrome better.
I really do not believe the cases are powder coated, it is to durable, look at the satellite dishes all over the country those are powder coated and they take one heck of a beating in all types of adverse weather.  I would guess Harley is E coating the cases and not thouroughly rinsing off all the oil from machining.  Just my take on it. 
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Muddywaters

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2010, 01:45:14 AM »

Up-date (5 months ago) Customer service denied (not even paint). I inturn submitted issue directly to Willie...his personal assistant contacted me and directed me back to CS, (Thanks Willie)! CS final....Since I signed a release form....regarding fork lock issue,(not sure where that thread is) MoCo will not support my case! Nice! Because I did the right thing, (did not sue MoCo) for the accident that resulted from a 4 month old scooter going down due to the fork locking while moving (3K damage, MoCo warranty) they will not entertain powder coating and chrome issue. Bottom line... in the eyes of MoCo... I was forced to signed a release, to get my SERK repaired... I get F#*ked. At the moment...were looking into Lemon Law. Any ideas? Thanks Muddy
Save The Wave...

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2010, 10:03:36 AM »

I had several oil leaks head gasket, rocker covers and peeling powder coat repainted a couple time with new spots popping up all over. My dealer was very much on my side pushing HD to do the right thing. The HD rep originally met with me and said they would replace motor, then called me and wanted to confirm when this was completed we were all "done with this", I said of course unless it leaks or peels on the new motor, he then said I might as well replace the bike. So fo the diference in price of 08 vs 09 plus tax on the difference, I swapped my 18 month old Ultra with 18,000 miles for a new one, must say couldn't be happier 09 head and heals above the the 08 in ride. 09 has 10k miles on it and not an issue with powder coat or oil leaks.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 24 queries.