Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: 09 engine paint peeling  (Read 46543 times)

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
Re: 09 engine paint peeling
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 10:57:12 AM »

My 08 is doing the same thing, not quite as bad. I took it to my dealer, they contacted HD and were told to use touch up paint. Dealer told me he wasn't painting anything and wait till I'm ready to put the bike away for the winter and he'll bring it in for change of cases, no way is it acceptable, not to worry he'll get them to cover it, we'll see how it turns out.
Please let me know what they do for you.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 11:49:07 AM »

Yes I too am having body repairs. New Tour Pack Lid because paint is flaking off.New Seat because leather is flaking off around stiching. New Oil filter housing because paint has completly flaked off housing. I also have paint flaking off Engine but I don't think I will get a new Engine:) I am very grateful I have the cadilac of the fleet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!08SEUC
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

JMS

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3 Black and Green
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 11:49:34 AM »

that sucks, if they can't powder coat it properly?

especially on their CVO....

Makes me wonder....

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 12:05:51 PM »

They should at least pay for chrome covers

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 01:36:20 PM »

Do they even sell touch up paint ?  I know my bike is old but there are a couple of spots on the cases I'd like to fix.  Doc

Doc, I know they sell engine paint in black and in silver, not sure about the latest "granite" color.  All I can tell you is if you use it to touch up a little nick it will probably be OK, but anything bigger than a nick is going to stand out like a sore thumb.  The paint also does not hold up very well in comparison to the powder coat.  While I might use it to fix one of my own little boo-boo's, there is no way I would accept this stuff as a repair for a factory defect.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 04:55:05 PM »

Doc, I know they sell engine paint in black and in silver, not sure about the latest "granite" color.  All I can tell you is if you use it to touch up a little nick it will probably be OK, but anything bigger than a nick is going to stand out like a sore thumb.  The paint also does not hold up very well in comparison to the powder coat.  While I might use it to fix one of my own little boo-boo's, there is no way I would accept this stuff as a repair for a factory defect.

Jerry

Jerry, Thanks for the heads up, I'll just leave it alone.  Doc

RBFB

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 09:54:55 PM »

I had a small spot on my 08 flake, I ordered some granite paint from the parts dept. I touched it up, it looks pretty good, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the one in the picture. But they do sell "Granite" touch up paint.

JMS

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 09:25:33 AM »

Fortunately mine is holding up well so far, but I think that Harley should do something about that...
paint just isn't a repair for powder coating...

What did they tell you when you showed the dealer?

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 12:43:29 PM »

Not sure how big of a problem this is, but i just washed my bike for the first time (using a hose) last Friday and noticed the paint peeling off the engine block around the front lifter block cover.  dealer just took some pictures and sent them off to the MoCo.

I too am having a problem with my '08 SERK with the powdercoating flaking off.

This is on the inner primary just next to the shifter area.

One or two could be a stone chip, but even then that would be pushing for an excuse.  I've not used a pressure washer once on this and only the spray garden hose.  I've not used any type of wheel or aluminum cleaner, only soapy water and a soft brush.

I'm also getting some very small flaking going on with the rear wheel.  I can't get a good shot of it right now, but the next time I jack it up and pull the bags to do a good cleaning I'll try to get some shots.  They are black spots that you can feel with your finger and some of them have a slight discolored ring around them.  They are ALL in the center corner of the wheel and center ribs.  This is NOT an area that could be hit by stones to chip the chrome.  I have no pitting on the wide flat area of the rim which is very prone to being hit, at least I would guess that if a stone would do this, that would be the place on the wheel that it would happen.

I've not yet talked to the dealer about the powdercoating, but will when it gets the 5,000 mile check up.

Let me know if the MOCO covers yours.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 02:21:35 PM »

One or two could be a stone chip, but even then that would be pushing for an excuse.  I've not used a pressure washer once on this and only the spray garden hose.  I've not used any type of wheel or aluminum cleaner, only soapy water and a soft brush.

I'm also getting some very small flaking going on with the rear wheel.  I can't get a good shot of it right now, but the next time I jack it up and pull the bags to do a good cleaning I'll try to get some shots.  They are black spots that you can feel with your finger and some of them have a slight discolored ring around them.  They are ALL in the center corner of the wheel and center ribs.  This is NOT an area that could be hit by stones to chip the chrome.  I have no pitting on the wide flat area of the rim which is very prone to being hit, at least I would guess that if a stone would do this, that would be the place on the wheel that it would happen.

I've not yet talked to the dealer about the powdercoating, but will when it gets the 5,000 mile check up.

Thanks.

Dan,

Looks like your primary chrome is marked up as well or is that just dirt, smudge in the picture?

Back on track,

If the moco is willing to send you new cases have you considered having your crank balanced and pinned, cheap expense if they are doinga  complete tear down ...
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

weamdog

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 FLHTCUSE4
    • Virtual Garage
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 04:41:13 PM »

no word from dealer yet.  i might just have to wait til the cold weather sets in and then have them do it right.  i'm not sure how much more of this is going to flake off, but there are signs that it might happen further down the engine next to the primary cover.  i'm starting to get some nasty sounds coming from the valves at around 3k, sounds like i'm running cheap gas or something so they can take care of that at the same time.
'00 FLSTS
'09 FLHTCUSE4 (Autumn Haze/Octane Orange)

yellowcvo

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 07:54:37 PM »

I have the same issue with my 09 fxdfse one wash one spot pics taken sent to harley waiting for response :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 07:59:53 PM by yellowcvo »

JMS

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2008, 12:54:44 PM »

Thanks.

YOu can fix this with an inner chrome primary cover as long as it hasn't extented beyond there....

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2008, 04:31:30 PM »

I believe 06 was a bad year for paint.  07, 08 oil leaks.  Paint's turn.

:smilie_eimer: :verfsmile:
Any day on the bike is a good day.

JMS

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2008, 05:20:23 PM »

Has anyone heard if MOCO is going to do anything about this powdercoat?

They just can't leave it like that or try to give you paint....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.