Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Six Speed Side Cover Question  (Read 10269 times)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: Six Speed Side Cover Question
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2008, 04:46:22 PM »

I never quite understood why our 07 and later CVO Screamin Eagle bikes do not come with the Screamin Eagle 6 speed.   :oops:
Any day on the bike is a good day.

REGGAB

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2008, 04:52:48 PM »

I never quite understood why our 07 and later CVO Screamin Eagle bikes do not come with the Screamin Eagle 6 speed.   :oops:

Oh.....oh........I think I know.   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Totally agree with you, man, but then they'd jack up the price another $6K.  Much easier to get us in the store to buy the bike as is, then suck another few grand out of us for the transmission and labor.

Personally, I think all TC bikes need a six speed.  My stock 02 FLHR is screamin' for a sixth gear.   :2vrolijk_21:

hogasm

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2008, 05:31:38 PM »

One of the largest waste of moneys in our bikes is the addition of a 6 speed, even with a slightly modified motor.

The motor/cam configuration is designed to work with a 5 speed.

After you add the 6 speed just save some time on the damage you are doing to your motor at RPM's lower than 2800....and beat the hell out of your crank with a 10 pound sledge hammer....you will achieve the same thing in shorter time.

REGGAB

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2008, 06:11:32 PM »

One of the largest waste of moneys in our bikes is the addition of a 6 speed, even with a slightly modified motor.

After you add the 6 speed just save some time on the damage you are doing to your motor at RPM's lower than 2800....and beat the hell out of your crank with a 10 pound sledge hammer....you will achieve the same thing in shorter time.

Interesting and very well respected and noted observation, Brian.  So, would the same hold true if changing to a lower primary gear with the six speed and using the 6th gear only on highways at speeds greater than or equal to 70 mph?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2008, 06:12:32 PM »

Brian, on the SERG the gearing is such that it'll actually be worthwhile.  Cruising along the highway at 75 it's just over 3200.  The cams seem to begin catching their breath and start pulling best at about 3k.  Though that'll change when I get over this crud long enough to get the cams changed and do away with the tensioners.  In any case the six speed on this bike will drop the cruise RPM down to around 2700-2800.  With the new cams coming in a bit earlier today I think it'll be a satisfactory cruising combination.  I'd still not have done without a really cheap eBay score for the gearset awhile back.  But the combination should behave ok.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2008, 06:20:42 PM »

Brian, on the SERG the gearing is such that it'll actually be worthwhile.  Cruising along the highway at 75 it's just over 3200.  The cams seem to begin catching their breath and start pulling best at about 3k.  Though that'll change when I get over this crud long enough to get the cams changed and do away with the tensioners.  In any case the six speed on this bike will drop the cruise RPM down to around 2700-2800.  With the new cams coming in a bit earlier today I think it'll be a satisfactory cruising combination.  I'd still not have done without a really cheap eBay score for the gearset awhile back.  But the combination should behave ok.

Still feeling poorly, Don?   :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »

Still feeling poorly, Don?   :nixweiss:

Can't shake it.  Flu for a week with emissions everywhere.  That became what I assumed to be bronchitis.  Coughed so much the ribs want to go out on strike.  Then was told yesterday afternoon it's pneumonia.  Not "bad" pneumonia so I'm told.  But still...  I think pneumonia is a lot like surgery in that only minor case is that which is being done by someone else.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2008, 06:35:06 PM »

Can't shake it.  Flu for a week with emissions everywhere.  That became what I assumed to be bronchitis.  Coughed so much the ribs want to go out on strike.  Then was told yesterday afternoon it's pneumonia.  Not "bad" pneumonia so I'm told.  But still...  I think pneumonia is a lot like surgery in that only minor case is that which is being done by someone else.

Sorry to hear that...  I'll assume you are getting proper medical attention...  Take care of yourself.    Old guys like you don't bounce back so fast... ::) :P
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2008, 09:07:50 PM »

After reading you comments it made me think a little bit about the 5 speed / 6 speed transmissions. 

Yes, to some on here, I do think once in awhile... ;D  ;D  ;D

If you look back at the SE 6 speed, I believe it was designed to replace a 5 speed gearset in a five speed housing.  The SE 6 speed is an O/D trans with 6 speed being about .86, that's from memory and mine isn't too good lately.  So the engineers designed around what they had and added the O/D 6th gear.  As Baker has pointed out, an O/D trans robs a bit more power than a high gear at a 1:1 ratio.  That's why had came out with the DD6.  I think he may have an O/D set as well, but not sure.

So if I were the MOCO, I would look at a total redesign 6 speed, which they did in the '06 Dyna series bikes.  In that case they drop the O/D high gear and make high gear 1:1 for the most efficient running.  Now they need to get the O/D effect, so they shortened up the primary ratio from the older 88TC 1.44 ratio to the new 96TC 1.35 ratio.  That's an 8% lowering in ratios.  This is where they get the O/D affect of the 1:1 ratio 6th gear on the Cruise Drive 6 speed trans.

Sorry I got side tracked on the original statement.

The 88TC 5th gear is, 3227 rpms @ 75 mph and 96TC 6th gear is, 2859 rpms @ 75 mph.

I didn't mean this as an answer to your statement as it was just that, a statement.  But it does make sense the way that they did the process of going from an "aftermarket" approach to the SE 6 speed gears and then with the re-engineered 1:1 6 speed Cruise Drive transmission.

:)  :)  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2008, 09:32:19 PM »

Nowhere on the 09 CVO have I seen the phrase Cruise drive. I see it on non CVO's but as for the CVO's they just say 6speed. and compared to the performance on my friends 08 seuc, the 09 serg and presumably the 09 seuc, pulls away much better in 6th uphill, in the dark, with my eyes closed, shoelaces untied, and sand in my shorts. anywho, i think there is more to this.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2008, 09:35:59 PM »

Nowhere on the 09 CVO have I seen the phrase Cruise drive. I see it on non CVO's but as for the CVO's they just say 6speed. and compared to the performance on my friends 08 seuc, the 09 serg and presumably the 09 seuc, pulls away much better in 6th uphill, in the dark, with my eyes closed, shoelaces untied, and sand in my shorts. anywho, i think there is more to this.

Either the 09 is geared lower (higher numerically) or the sand in your shorts is grinding on your gears!
My money says it's geared lower, and so do the brochures.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

REGGAB

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2008, 09:46:44 PM »

Either the 09 is geared lower (higher numerically) or the sand in your shorts is grinding on your gears!
My money says it's geared lower, and so do the brochures.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

I like the way your money talks, Chip.

Thumper will be geared lower upon her resurrection.
Can you see about your money replacing my money since a good chunk of my money has been turned into parts and a metric chitload of labor? :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2008, 10:13:24 PM »

Trust me, as much as I like a good conspiracy theory there is absolutely no difference between the 6 speed in your CVO and the one in that TC96, they are all Cruise Drives with the exact same internal ratios.  The difference you can feel with the '09 versus the '07 and '08 is due to a two tooth change in the rear wheel sprocket, and possibly to a difference in the circumference of the rear wheel (still not sure since I still haven't found any specs for diameter/circumference of the new 18" tire).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2008, 10:14:19 PM »

Brian doesn't like 6 speeds  :P
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:04:14 AM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2008, 10:16:13 PM »

It's just a difference in the casting.

You've never been one afraid to experiment - thought about getting out the die grinder? You have to use it anyway for the case, whats a little more grinding?

« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 10:17:54 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 25 queries.