Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Starting to get wonder if I’m making the right choice  (Read 13915 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Starting to get wonder if I’m making the right choice
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2008, 05:52:09 PM »

Clearly, it's not about right or wrong.  It's about saving $$$$.

More about meeting EPA with these large air-cooled engines. Soon they won't even be able to meet the requirements at all. That day will be the end of HD air-cooled bikes, and subsequently will all be water-cooled from then on IMO. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2008, 05:59:06 PM »

More about meeting EPA with these large air-cooled engines. Soon they won't even be able to meet the requirements at all. That day will be the end of HD air-cooled bikes, and subsequently will all be water-cooled from then on IMO. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Sorry buddy, I don't agree. So long as H-D can meet EPA regs by bolting up a catalytic converter or whatever, they're not going to veer off course from what has gotten them to where they're at. All you need to do is track V-Rod model sales to see that the H-D buying public as a whole is not ready for a radiator only model line-up. I fully expect to see the current TC motors to reach 124 CID at some point in the not too distant future. What I don't expect is a water cooled Electra-Glide anytime soon.

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2008, 06:03:10 PM »

Sorry buddy, I don't agree. So long as H-D can meet EPA regs by bolting up a catalytic converter or whatever, they're not going to veer off course from what has gotten them to where they're at. All you need to do is track V-Rod model sales to see that the H-D buying public as a whole is not ready for a radiator only model line-up. I fully expect to see the current TC motors to reach 124 CID at some point in the not too distant future. What I don't expect is a water cooled Electra-Glide anytime soon.

B B

Carnac says we shall wait and see now! ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2008, 06:22:51 PM »

I'd say both of you are headed in the right direction.

BB, your point about the Vroad is a good one but what about a Vrod motor (or some variation) in a bagger.

You can't buy a water cooled bagger from Harley for one reason, They don't make one!
Hoist is right about meeting requirements. It is getting tougher each year. Water cooled is the only answer.

After a few years of W/C dressers we all will be riding antiques.

And for me, that will be fine.

SERG, SEEG, SEUC any of those will get me where I want to go till my 2013 Anniversary Screaming Eagle w/c dresser gets here!

JMHO

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2008, 06:25:38 PM »

B B
I agree and disagree with you on this one BB.  I agree that the air-cooled aren't going away anytime soon, but disagree that we're not going to see a water-cooled bagger anytime soon.  The reason the V-Rod line is not the big seller yet is they have no diversity in the line up.  They're all sport cruisers designed to capture the younger buyer.  Harley knows where their bread and butter is, or at least was before the recession; the touring line.  What I think will happen is they will phase more water-cooled models into the line-up including baggers.  I don't think we'll see a V-Rod type bagger, but a more traditional-framed water-cooled one.  I see HD phasing in a full line of water-cooled bikes that will co-exist with the air-cooled ones for as long as HD can keep up with the EPA.   JMO

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2008, 07:37:15 PM »

at 110 inch the piston skirts start having issues - 124's have huge cutouts in the skirts between the cylinders..

there is NO WAY to get much bigger for bikes intended to be ridden every day - at least in 45 deg twins.

the water cooled bikes are putting out 124 size hp numbers with sportster size displacement.

the day will come where they are oil or water cooled - the only question is when - 2 years, 5 years - when.

the domestic competitors are oil cooled already, but look like they are air cooled.

to

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2008, 06:39:17 AM »

This may have been noted elsewhere on the board - the MoCo is stating "Air-cooled, Twin Cam 110™" & "Air-cooled, Twin Cam 96®" in their specs.  Not sure why one is "™" & the other is "®"? 

Indicates a possible change in engine cooling when you notice "air" as a descriptor.  Figure HD will do what it can to keep air cooled bikes in the lineup - at least some models.  The oil or air cooled motor seems inevitable for some HD models with ever increasing engine cu inch displacements.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2008, 09:36:54 PM »

I think many have mentioned the changes in the future and only a few know what will be the reality.
I can see the idea of "dual versions" of certain classes of bikes, If Harley has both standard air cooled bikes they can sell to the traditional but aging customer base. Then they could sell the water cooled bikes to those who don't mind change or to younger customers who are used to more horsepower and dependability.
If the air cooled bikes get harder to run due to EPA regulations and have problems like the 110s then many customers will look at a water cooled bike as a "necessary" move to get a dependable long distance bike. This could be one way to get the older more traditional owners to move to a new design.

serghaven

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2008, 11:53:42 AM »

Just got the call that my SERG will be here sometime in early February.  :bananarock:  Now for the sleepless nights waiting for it to arrive.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2008, 02:16:15 PM »

Just got the call that my SERG will be here sometime in early February.  :bananarock:  Now for the sleepless nights waiting for it to arrive.

Congratultions, serghaven !   Saw a silver SERG last night (only the second I've seen).  You certainly have more patience than I.  Of course, the snow up there in Circle Pines, MN probably curtails your riding until at least Feb.  I once jogged across Lake Minnetonka (sp?).  Just think of how much time you can plan your mods & order parts.  The fun has just begun!!

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2008, 09:36:15 AM »

you are not alone serghaven!! there is a bunch of us that are red eyed and sleepy waiting on the new scooter.  :-X
a.k.a  Dent Dude

navdav51

• Senior CVO Member
  • US Navy Retired, Old Antarctic Explorer, 75-78

• CVO1: 2009 Silver SERG
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2008, 04:58:20 PM »

Well my silver serg wont be here till March! I know I made the right choice, my signif. other however is starting to have her doubts! Started when I showed her the scream'n eagle shift linkage I saw on here and told her to hand me the credit card!
...VETERAN....Whether active duty,retired, National Guard or reserve,is someone who wrote a check made payable to The United States of America,for an amount up to and including my life....Author unknown

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2008, 05:49:06 PM »

Well my silver serg wont be here till March! I know I made the right choice, my signif. other however is starting to have her doubts! Started when I showed her the scream'n eagle shift linkage I saw on here and told her to hand me the credit card!

:D :D :D :D :D.... That's funny!... If only she knew

The shift linkage is only the beginning.  Everyone here will help you spend $$$ on a regular basis :D

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2008, 08:21:26 PM »

I don't think that you are supposed to let her know when you get parts for the bike.  When she notices the new parts (which she won't), then you have to think quickly on your feet to come up with just the right answer.  Remember, every time you spend money on the bike, she sees money that could have been spent on a new pair of shoes or a big tricked out name tag. (I'm assuming you saw the commercial...if not, I'm not explaining).

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2008, 09:26:25 PM »

I don't think that you are supposed to let her know when you get parts for the bike.  When she notices the new parts (which she won't), then you have to think quickly on your feet to come up with just the right answer.  Remember, every time you spend money on the bike, she sees money that could have been spent on a new pair of shoes or a big tricked out name tag. (I'm assuming you saw the commercial...if not, I'm not explaining).

Binx knows everything I do to all of the bikes! Everything I do to the bikes is for HER comfort and safety! Even on the solo seat ones!!! ::) ;D ;D ;D ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.