Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Author Topic: Starting to get wonder if I’m making the right choice  (Read 13893 times)

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
Re: Starting to get wonder if I’m making the right choice
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2008, 04:49:49 AM »

Since my wife rides her own, 05 softail deluxe, adding parts is easy for me as long as I add some to her bike. As I/we buy parts we put them on the bottom shelf of the shop cart. When it's full enough it's time to wrench it. And right now it's full so a turkey day in the garage, except for when the Titans game is on.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

navdav51

• Senior CVO Member
  • US Navy Retired, Old Antarctic Explorer, 75-78

• CVO1: 2009 Silver SERG
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2008, 08:13:13 PM »

so it falls in the lines of its easier to get the parts and then ask for forgiveness than to let her know from the get go??  Sure hope we can change some plans around so we can be in AR in may so I can meet some of you that dispense your wisdom to the new guys on here! lamo
...VETERAN....Whether active duty,retired, National Guard or reserve,is someone who wrote a check made payable to The United States of America,for an amount up to and including my life....Author unknown

littlejohn480

« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2008, 10:37:05 PM »

I just purchased two Harley Screamin Eagles...  the 2008 105th / S.T. Springer and the   DYNA !!! 

NO REGRETS ABOUT OWNING A HOG,, EVER....    What ever has a lot of soul , has a lot of problems...  Hogs are built with a lot of love and need to be loved.

You will never see a yamaguchi blog with any thing to talk about, because they are boooooring...... yawn ,,( excuse me ) rides.  I am new to this site. Thank you for giving me an opportunity to express my feelings about my bikes. It is true that the 110 CVO Engine has some issues. I believe that the warranty and recalls will address the issues. The E.P.A. Lean mix requirements are causing some of the problem, it causes the bike to run hotter... I understand that the head gaskets are failing, because they used an inferior gasket. Don't worry Harley will take care of you.
Some people have modded their bike with racing cams etc. Harley does not like to honor warranty's under these circumstances. That is unfortunate. This bike does not need to be modified it is a work of art . Change the pipes and dyno tune. thats all.

Godeater

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2001 ScreaminEagle Road Glide Blk/Sil
    • Radical Cycle
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2008, 12:10:18 AM »

Problem isn't so much the gaskets, its more the sleeve moving slightly.  I believe there are some older post under 110 issues that have pics.  A gasket alone will never be a permant fix for this.  Gaskets are old tech been around for long time, hard to think that if they don't leak on every other Harley motor made, why in the world would they leak on the 110 alone?  Don't let them fool you.
2001 FLTRISE2 103 Stroker
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Crank
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Pistons 5 Over
Stock Jugs 5 Over
Polished and Ported Stock Heads
Manly Titanium Springs 640 Lift
Manly Stainless Valves
Screamin Eagle Cam Plate and High Flo Pump
S&S 585 Gear Drives
Horse Power Inc. 51mm Intake with Screamin Eagle 25 deg Injectors 62 psi Fuel Reg
Power Commander III USB
Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather
D&D Fatcat Stand Baffle
Baker OD6 speed
Lowered 2 inchs
Danny Grey Seat

serghaven

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2008, 01:31:28 AM »

Well the parts list has started. Removing the CC (lucky for me my dealer just did a BB kit on a different bike and I am getting the pipe off that one)  :bananarock: I also ordered a SERT, Hog Tunes, Adjustable passenger boards, and a few extra chrome pieces. I am going to replace the seat (probably with a Corbin). I have a couple other things to figure out after I get the bike in February. I need to see how the bars feel. On my Road King I removed the stock ones right away so, I assume I will remove these as well. I also need to figure out what size clear view shield to order. If all goes well, I hope to head south shortly after I get it for some riding.  :bananarock: :bananarock:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2008, 09:50:03 AM »

Well, it doesn't sound like you're wondering anymore....if you're making the right decision.  Sounds like you're running with your decision WFO :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

serghaven

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2008, 01:18:16 PM »

Yes, I'm going full speed ahead. After hearing from some of the guys on here saying that most of the problems are "self induced" I decided to go with it. Yes, I am buying the extended warranty too.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2008, 04:50:24 PM »

I just purchased two Harley Screamin Eagles...  the 2008 105th / S.T. Springer and the   DYNA !!! 

NO REGRETS ABOUT OWNING A HOG,, EVER....    What ever has a lot of soul , has a lot of problems...  Hogs are built with a lot of love and need to be loved.

You will never see a yamaguchi blog with any thing to talk about, because they are boooooring...... yawn ,,( excuse me ) rides.  I am new to this site. Thank you for giving me an opportunity to express my feelings about my bikes. It is true that the 110 CVO Engine has some issues. I believe that the warranty and recalls will address the issues. The E.P.A. Lean mix requirements are causing some of the problem, it causes the bike to run hotter... I understand that the head gaskets are failing, because they used an inferior gasket. Don't worry Harley will take care of you.
Some people have modded their bike with racing cams etc. Harley does not like to honor warranty's under these circumstances. That is unfortunate. This bike does not need to be modified it is a work of art . Change the pipes and dyno tune. thats all.

Changing the pipes can and will void the warranty when you go toe to toe with HD (have it in writing to me personally, not in some brochure).   Welcome to the site.  I had the same attitude 2 years and two motors ago.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

littlejohn480

« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2008, 08:24:51 AM »

I am , of course in the honey moon stage.... I am sure, you are correct about what will be very frustrating a few k miles down the road. Seems everybody has a bone to pick with Harley about CVO 11OCi Engine.

I choose to remain faithful to the notion , that Harley actually cares about which side it's bread has butter....  I. E.  THE CUSTOMER... YOU KNOW,, THE PERSON WHO FILLS OUT THAT CHECK EVERY MONTH TO PAY

FOR THE HOG THATS ALWAYS IN THE SHOP FOR LEAKS AND PROBLEMS THAT OTHERWISE SHOULD BE RESOLVED.   Thank you for the reality check skreminegulo7  Hopeful that things will work out with Harley in the

near future.     

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2008, 09:51:14 AM »

I am , of course in the honey moon stage.... I am sure, you are correct about what will be very frustrating a few k miles down the road. Seems everybody has a bone to pick with Harley about CVO 11OCi Engine.

I choose to remain faithful to the notion , that Harley actually cares about which side it's bread has butter....  I. E.  THE CUSTOMER... YOU KNOW,, THE PERSON WHO FILLS OUT THAT CHECK EVERY MONTH TO PAY

FOR THE HOG THATS ALWAYS IN THE SHOP FOR LEAKS AND PROBLEMS THAT OTHERWISE SHOULD BE RESOLVED.   Thank you for the reality check skreminegulo7  Hopeful that things will work out with Harley in the

near future.     
Littlejohn,
Don't let the nay-sayers get to you.  Everyone has a beef with something.  It seems corporate bashing is the rage today.  Like someone said earlier, most of the issues people have with HD were brought on by themselves.  That's not to say that there wasn't a QC issue with the first batch of 110 engines.  I think Harley, in their inevitable way, without admitting guilt, did what they did, and are taking care of their customers.  It took a long time, in some people's books, and maybe not to everyone's satisfaction, but they came through.  I don't regret for a minute buying my SEUC, and I'd buy it again if I had to do it all over again.  I've had the product enhancement done and it's been in the shop two times for the heads, but so what? It all goes away everytime I fire up that 110 and hear the rumble of those V&H ovals, throw a leg over the saddle and get my face in the wind.  No company's perfect and I've had my beef with them too, bet there are some folks that wouldn't be happy unless they're b*tchin about the MoCo.  JMO.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2008, 09:58:38 AM »

Littlejohn,
Don't let the nay-sayers get to you.  Everyone has a beef with something.  It seems corporate bashing is the rage today.  Like someone said earlier, most of the issues people have with HD were brought on by themselves.  That's not to say that there wasn't a QC issue with the first batch of 110 engines.  I think Harley, in their inevitable way, without admitting guilt, did what they did, and are taking care of their customers.  It took a long time, in some people's books, and maybe not to everyone's satisfaction, but they came through.  I don't regret for a minute buying my SEUC, and I'd buy it again if I had to do it all over again.  I've had the product enhancement done and it's been in the shop two times for the heads, but so what? It all goes away everytime I fire up that 110 and hear the rumble of those V&H ovals, throw a leg over the saddle and get my face in the wind.  No company's perfect and I've had my beef with them too, bet there are some folks that wouldn't be happy unless they're b*tchin about the MoCo.  JMO.

Very well said, RD.  LJ, my bike has has 2 engine "repairs" & would I buy it again?  You betcha, in a New York minute.  It's a great bike, a great ride, and on Saturday as I was riding home I thought to myself - 20 years ago if somebody had told me I would be riding a 110 cu inch HD @ 1?? mph with an electric butt warmer seat, electric hand warmer grips, and tunes cranked up to "11" I woulda laughed at 'em.  But they would have been right.  Still trying to wipe that smile off my face.  Enjoy your new ride, when you get the chance!

Mike
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2008, 10:31:29 AM »

Littlejohn,
Don't let the nay-sayers get to you.  Everyone has a beef with something.  It seems corporate bashing is the rage today.  Like someone said earlier, most of the issues people have with HD were brought on by themselves.  That's not to say that there wasn't a QC issue with the first batch of 110 engines.  I think Harley, in their inevitable way, without admitting guilt, did what they did, and are taking care of their customers.  It took a long time, in some people's books, and maybe not to everyone's satisfaction, but they came through.  I don't regret for a minute buying my SEUC, and I'd buy it again if I had to do it all over again.  I've had the product enhancement done and it's been in the shop two times for the heads, but so what? It all goes away everytime I fire up that 110 and hear the rumble of those V&H ovals, throw a leg over the saddle and get my face in the wind.  No company's perfect and I've had my beef with them too, bet there are some folks that wouldn't be happy unless they're b*tchin about the MoCo.   JMO.

Charlie, as Mike said "Well said".
We all have our issues but we get them taken care of and move on ride on!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2008, 06:44:14 PM »

Littlejohn,

You're kidding right?  How did we cause cylinder liners to slip and cause head gasket leaks, or the crank to shift on motors that were 100% stock in under 5000 miles?  Get your head out of the clouds and stop drinking the orange and black kool aid.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2008, 07:00:30 PM »

You're kidding right?  How did we cause cylinder liners to slip and cause head gasket leaks, or the crank to shift on motors that were 100% stock in under 5000 miles?  Get your head out of the clouds and stop drinking the orange and black kool aid.
Nope, not kidding at all.  I challenge you to give me the numbers of 100% STOCK 110's that had problems...remember I said 100% STOCK, like you said.  That means narry a pipe, A/C or tuner...100% off the assembly line stock.  I never said the MoCo didn't have QC problems on the early 110's...read my post completely.  Some people just have to have something to B*tch about or they ain't happy.  By the way, I like Orange and Black cool aid.   :P

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2008, 08:03:47 PM »

Nope, not kidding at all.  I challenge you to give me the numbers of 100% STOCK 110's that had problems...remember I said 100% STOCK, like you said.  That means narry a pipe, A/C or tuner...100% off the assembly line stock.  I never said the MoCo didn't have QC problems on the early 110's...read my post completely.  Some people just have to have something to B*tch about or they ain't happy.  By the way, I like Orange and Black cool aid.   :P

The crank was bad on mine 100% stock.  I'd still like to know how an air cleaner and exhaust cause a crank to scissor, and a cylinder liner to slip?  Are you a mechanical engineer?

How come only the 110" motors are having issues with these "major modifications" that have been added for years on the 80", 88", 95", 103" without needing a product improvement program to replace heads, ACRs, head gaskets, lower base gaskets, rocker boxes?  The main reason people richen the bikes up is to make them last longer.  This is a bad design with poor quality control, and a bad case of denial, period.

blaming the owners is just plain B/S.  Some motors leaked at under 1000 miles, one had no oil return passage in the head, and we only see a limited number of owners on this site.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 21 queries.