Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: Starting to get wonder if I’m making the right choice  (Read 13882 times)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: Starting to get wonder if I’m making the right choice
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2008, 08:21:53 PM »

The crank was bad on mine 100% stock.  I'd still like to know how an air cleaner and exhaust cause a crank to scissor, and a cylinder liner to slip?  Are you a mechanical engineer?

How come only the 110" motors are having issues with these "major modifications" that have been added for years on the 80", 88", 95", 103" without needing a product improvement program to replace heads, ACRs, head gaskets, lower base gaskets, rocker boxes?  The main reason people richen the bikes up is to make them last longer.  This is a bad design with poor quality control, and a bad case of denial, period.

blaming the owners is just plain B/S.  Some motors leaked at under 1000 miles, one had no oil return passage in the head, and we only see a limited number of owners on this site.

Like I said Screamin...QC was not their strong point on the early 110s...Go over to the other HD related forums and you'll see other owners having problems with their non-110 engines.  I don't think there's been an HD motor designed that hasn't had some sort of problem...I had a drive shaft go bad on a Gold Wing, guess that makes all driveshafts bad on Goldwings.  Don't need to be a mechanical engineer to know that everything mechanical is susceptable to failure.  So you've had more than others.  Sorry you had a crankshaft scissors on you, but you know what, chit happens.    If you read my post again, I stated that most of the issues people have with their bikes, all inclusive, not just 110s, are brought on by themselves and that's not BS, whether you want to agree with that or not.  The 110 has had it's share of problems, and they're being worked out.  Ride your bike and enjoy it, or sell it, makes no nevermind to me.  Life rolls on for me. 

:devil:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 08:24:16 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2008, 09:07:47 AM »

Like I said Screamin...QC was not their strong point on the early 110s...Go over to the other HD related forums and you'll see other owners having problems with their non-110 engines.  I don't think there's been an HD motor designed that hasn't had some sort of problem...I had a drive shaft go bad on a Gold Wing, guess that makes all driveshafts bad on Goldwings.  Don't need to be a mechanical engineer to know that everything mechanical is susceptable to failure.  So you've had more than others.  Sorry you had a crankshaft scissors on you, but you know what, chit happens.    If you read my post again, I stated that most of the issues people have with their bikes, all inclusive, not just 110s, are brought on by themselves and that's not BS, whether you want to agree with that or not.  The 110 has had it's share of problems, and they're being worked out.  Ride your bike and enjoy it, or sell it, makes no nevermind to me.  Life rolls on for me. 

:devil:

Agree NOT.  As I stated earlier, these numerous problems are part of the 110 only, without owner intervention.  Go back look at the posts in Twin Cam, the threads on the 110 dwarf any other engine model.  Apparently no owners of 80, 88,95,103, or 96 do any mods to their engines, we're talking air filters and mufflers here, not cams.

Goog luck, hope Santa Claus is good to you.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2008, 10:46:24 AM »

That may be because for the last 3 years, the CVO's have had a 110 engine.  Hello!  This is the CVO forum.  Seriously, how many members were there when the 2006 came out back in 2005?  A mere fraction of today's membership.  I have no figures to support this, but I think it's a pretty good bet that there are more members on here with 110 engines on their CVO's than any other engine size, and at this point probably followed by a very distant second for 103".  Again, this is the CVO forum.  How many posts were you expecting for 80" motors on here?

Everyone is aware of the problem with head gaskets, which the MOCO has issued the recall on, and have corrected on further production.  I don't care what type of car you own, when you take it in for service, that's one of the things the dealer should be checking for on every visit...any new recalls for your vehicle.

I grew up in the auto parts business, and I am thankful that cars broke down, or I may not have had such an advantaged life.  Yes, there were some items that you could pretty much count on going wrong on a certain vehicle, and then there were the items that were anyone's guess as far as when the next person might need that part.  It seems to me that the 110 engine is very similar.  You could anticipate that pretty much everyone was going to experience the problem with head gaskets at some point and the MOCO has stepped in.  Other failures don't seem to be so predictable.  Of course, someone out there is going to have everything possible happen to them on one bike and that could cause a pretty bitter attitude.  That's what it would do to me. 

As far as where this post has come from, I tend to also agree that a lot of the problems are caused by the owners of the bikes.  I was always told to just leave these bikes alone before ever messing with anything that changes the compression.  I was always told that once you do that, forget ever getting one of these bikes to run properly again.  Well, we all know that this is not necessarily true, but think where that logic came from.  Lots of backyard mechanics, much like many of us, that tinkered without really having the proper sophistication to attempt the modification at hand.  Then being too stubborn to take the bike somewhere to resolve the issue properly, or just the plain unavailability of someone knowing how to reverse what was done wrong.  Anyway, to make a long story short here, I really think that if I could just leave my bike alone, completely stock, with no changes to anything, I would feel extremely confident that I could ride for many many years on my 110 engine and have no problems.  Once I start tinkering with just the exhaust and intake, and then tweaking the ECM, I have already lowered my confidence level of whether I will ever have any problems with my bike.  I'm not one that could ever let a bike go stock, so I'll always expect the unexpected, since I made changes to the way the bike came.  Well, I have things to go get done, so I have to end my little rant here.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2008, 10:56:40 AM »

That may be because for the last 3 years, the CVO's have had a 110 engine.  Hello!  This is the CVO forum.  Seriously, how many members were there when the 2006 came out back in 2005?  A mere fraction of today's membership.  I have no figures to support this, but I think it's a pretty good bet that there are more members on here with 110 engines on their CVO's than any other engine size, and at this point probably followed by a very distant second for 103".  Again, this is the CVO forum.  How many posts were you expecting for 80" motors on here?

Everyone is aware of the problem with head gaskets, which the MOCO has issued the recall on, and have corrected on further production.  I don't care what type of car you own, when you take it in for service, that's one of the things the dealer should be checking for on every visit...any new recalls for your vehicle.

I grew up in the auto parts business, and I am thankful that cars broke down, or I may not have had such an advantaged life.  Yes, there were some items that you could pretty much count on going wrong on a certain vehicle, and then there were the items that were anyone's guess as far as when the next person might need that part.  It seems to me that the 110 engine is very similar.  You could anticipate that pretty much everyone was going to experience the problem with head gaskets at some point and the MOCO has stepped in.  Other failures don't seem to be so predictable.  Of course, someone out there is going to have everything possible happen to them on one bike and that could cause a pretty bitter attitude.  That's what it would do to me. 

As far as where this post has come from, I tend to also agree that a lot of the problems are caused by the owners of the bikes.  I was always told to just leave these bikes alone before ever messing with anything that changes the compression.  I was always told that once you do that, forget ever getting one of these bikes to run properly again.  Well, we all know that this is not necessarily true, but think where that logic came from.  Lots of backyard mechanics, much like many of us, that tinkered without really having the proper sophistication to attempt the modification at hand.  Then being too stubborn to take the bike somewhere to resolve the issue properly, or just the plain unavailability of someone knowing how to reverse what was done wrong.  Anyway, to make a long story short here, I really think that if I could just leave my bike alone, completely stock, with no changes to anything, I would feel extremely confident that I could ride for many many years on my 110 engine and have no problems.  Once I start tinkering with just the exhaust and intake, and then tweaking the ECM, I have already lowered my confidence level of whether I will ever have any problems with my bike.  I'm not one that could ever let a bike go stock, so I'll always expect the unexpected, since I made changes to the way the bike came.  Well, I have things to go get done, so I have to end my little rant here.

I love reading naive posts! ::) ;D ;D ;D

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2008, 11:06:38 AM »

I grew up in the auto parts business, and I am thankful that cars broke down, or I may not have had such an advantaged life.  Yes, there were some items that you could pretty much count on going wrong on a certain vehicle, and then there were the items that were anyone's guess as far as when the next person might need that part.  It seems to me that the 110 engine is very similar.  You could anticipate that pretty much everyone was going to experience the problem with head gaskets at some point and the MOCO has stepped in.  Other failures don't seem to be so predictable.  Of course, someone out there is going to have everything possible happen to them on one bike and that could cause a pretty bitter attitude.   That's what it would do to me. 

ABA

I have already reported you to the Mo Co.
They wanted to know what you did that justified having your vin blocked and your warranty not honored.
I told them the truth.
"He removed the reflector on his rear fender!"
They were appalled.
Devastated.
Total disbelief.
You better find you a good independent, your toast at the Mo Co now.

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2008, 11:08:41 AM »

And I almost took that reflector off last night except hot wings, beer and football distracted me...Still stock..I am adding an Ipod holder.... :'(

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2008, 11:09:59 AM »

Hoist! 8)

Hoist

Everybody has to start somewhere!
If I recall there was a few post from you about the "two year warranty"
Did I say a few?

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

He will learn!
Give him time.
He's picking up on all this stuff very quick!

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2008, 11:11:33 AM »

And I almost took that reflector off last night except hot wings, beer and football distracted me...Still stock..I am adding an Ipod holder.... :'(

Your safe for now!
Just make sure the Ipod has Harley Davidson Road Songs on it and all is fine!

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2008, 11:15:31 AM »

Your safe for now!
Just make sure the Ipod has Harley Davidson Road Songs on it and all is fine!

Oh no, I don't have them!  Gaaaa!  Woe is me, a pox, a pox! 

But it is metallic silver and matches the bike nicely...

So I have that going for me at least.... :P

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2008, 11:22:08 AM »

Hoist

Everybody has to start somewhere!
If I recall there was a few post from you about the "two year warranty"
Did I say a few?

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

He will learn!
Give him time.
He's picking up on all this stuff very quick!

Exactly where I'm coming from! We learn from experience and hope to save the next batch from repeating history!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »

Exactly where I'm coming from! We learn from experience and hope to save the next batch from repeating history!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2008, 11:35:24 AM »

ABA

I have already reported you to the Mo Co.
They wanted to know what you did that justified having your vin blocked and your warranty not honored.
I told them the truth.
"He removed the reflector on his rear fender!"
They were appalled.
Devastated.
Total disbelief.
You better find you a good independent, your toast at the Mo Co now.

Chuckle, Chuckle!  Last night when I was speaking to the sales manager at the dealer, I told him that I needed to get a license bracket with a red reflector in it right away.  When he questioned the urgency, I told him that my bike didn't come with a rear reflector at all.  I told him not to worry about it, since the license frame will cover me.  Just keeping one step ahead of them and hoping they don't read this.  As far as Hoist's comment, I'm just going to ignore that and pretend I never saw it.  I think this thread has already seen enough of a pissing contest going on.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2008, 12:23:35 PM »

It wasn't bad gaskets, the gaskets were revised (4 times) to hide the cylinder slipping issues.  You need to catch up on your reading. It wasn't a recall either.  It was a Product Improvement Progaram. 
How many other motors had specs changed to allow poor quality after one year of production? 

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2008, 12:25:45 PM »

Hoist! 8)

I'm too easily baited by this type of comment I guess, especially from someone that hasn't had any issues...yet!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2008, 12:27:42 PM »

It wasn't bad gaskets, the gaskets were revised (4 times) to hide the cylinder slipping issues.  You need to catch up on your reading. It wasn't a recall either.  It was a Product Improvement Progaram. 
How many other motors had specs changed to allow poor quality after one year of production? 

And crank runout extended from 0.003" to 0.012" since the 110 was first introduced! Yes, it's on the 96's also. But these big inch motors needed extra care when being designed, which these engines did not receive until they were failing left and right! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 21 queries.