Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: SE Spark plugs ?  (Read 9449 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: SE Spark plugs ?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 11:56:32 AM »

You guys funny GIs :2vrolijk_21: :huepfenlol2: .

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 12:25:37 PM »

You guys funny GIs :2vrolijk_21: :huepfenlol2: .

Don't even go there ......... :drink:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 12:31:33 PM »

Don't even go there ......... :drink:

Aw, c'mon, you know there's a whole schtick that follows that line.  I won't believe it if you said you'd never watched PI burlesque :huepfenlol2: .

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 12:32:59 PM »

Well, the spark plug guru actually hires 3,428 workers & pays them $1.12 a day to make 20,000 plugs a day each by machine.  Then he hand selects 2 every couple of months & sez - "perfect match".

something like that......

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 01:11:02 PM »

Aw, c'mon, you know there's a whole schtick that follows that line.  I won't believe it if you said you'd never watched PI burlesque :huepfenlol2: .

Yup...starting to come back to me now.....eventually gets to "me love you long time, GI"   :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 01:19:37 PM »

Yup...starting to come back to me now.....eventually gets to "me love you long time, GI"   :2vrolijk_21:

And a Merry Christmas to you too :thumbsup: .

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 01:20:22 PM »

5 dolla no holla???

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 01:34:34 PM »

5 dolla no holla???

Only sometimes ....  ;D

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 01:43:21 PM »

So you think also that the SE-spark plugs are not necessary , and that they are not better ( just a little little little bit ) ?

Better than what?  Better than a kick in the balls maybe, but if you expect to see some magical performance boost to justify the big price difference you need to look elsewhere.  Maybe one of those Fitch fuel catalysts. :nixweiss:

Platinum does not produce a superior spark that unleashes additional power, no matter what some ad writer intimates.  What it actually does is extend the useful life of the plug because it erodes much slower than the conventional electrode material.  Less erosion means less gap growth and lower voltage requirements over time.  This is what allows auto manufacturers to specify 50,000 to 100,000 mile service intervals.  As for the split ground electrode, since the spark only jumps to the one with the lowest voltage requirement, it's not like you're getting two sparks for the price of one.  It was a bunch of marketing hype when the Split Fire folks first started selling it years ago, and adding a little platinum doesn't make it less of a hype.  If you want to "unshroud" the spark, just index the stock plugs.  Or go with the ultimate unshrouded plug, a surface gap design.

If you change plugs on a yearly basis like many of us anal idiots, you will just be throwing away a lot of extra cash with the SE plugs.  If on the other hand you routinely change your plugs only during engine overhauls, by all means go with the platinum or iridium plugs.  I personally recommend the NGK Iridium rather than the SE for those who feel the need to upgrade.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 01:48:57 PM »

I just change the cheapos every 5k... :nixweiss:

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 01:53:20 PM »

Better than what?  Better than a kick in the balls maybe, but if you expect to see some magical performance boost to justify the big price difference you need to look elsewhere.  Maybe one of those Fitch fuel catalysts. :nixweiss:

Platinum does not produce a superior spark that unleashes additional power, no matter what some ad writer intimates.  What it actually does is extend the useful life of the plug because it erodes much slower than the conventional electrode material.  Less erosion means less gap growth and lower voltage requirements over time.  This is what allows auto manufacturers to specify 50,000 to 100,000 mile service intervals.  As for the split ground electrode, since the spark only jumps to the one with the lowest voltage requirement, it's not like you're getting two sparks for the price of one.  It was a bunch of marketing hype when the Split Fire folks first started selling it years ago, and adding a little platinum doesn't make it less of a hype.  If you want to "unshroud" the spark, just index the stock plugs.  Or go with the ultimate unshrouded plug, a surface gap design.

If you change plugs on a yearly basis like many of us anal idiots, you will just be throwing away a lot of extra cash with the SE plugs.  If on the other hand you routinely change your plugs only during engine overhauls, by all means go with the platinum or iridium plugs.  I personally recommend the NGK Iridium rather than the SE for those who feel the need to upgrade.

Jerry

Jerry, I beg to differ, I use the ones below and their worth every extra cent!!

But seriously I agree, what's funny is people who buy expensive plugs and run old stock cracked plug wires! :nixweiss:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 01:58:24 PM »

I love AC plugs...

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 02:53:18 PM »

I do not understand everything you are writing , but I see that there are different opinions about the SE-spark plugs , they do not make wonders but their lifetime is higher , in some case the hot engine starts better ( if you have a problem with that ) .
Summasumarum :
If you have tuned your bike nearly to the optimum then you could add this special spark plugs and you get a little nearer to the perfect bike .
Is this it ?

Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 03:04:25 PM »

Many guys change their plugs every riding season, some times maybe twice, or more. Those fancy plugs are made for long term usage. Like in my Lincoln LS, you have to take the intake manifold off to change the left side bank of plugs, so I don't change them to often, but the bike gets change once or twice a year, so those plugs aren't worth the extra money, standard plugs will do fine over this short period of time.

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2008, 03:36:55 PM »

SO grc, the SE plugs ( or any other plat high end plug) is just hype??  and yet you give recommendations for a NGK plug.  Why use a NGK and not just a standard plug?  There are alot of considerations ( and preferences).  An SE triple plat plug mixed with either SE plug wires or another brand high end plug wire will give you a better spark (hotter) due to less resistance in the wire and plug.  On the dyno it has given almost 1 full HP (.82).  Is the money worth it?  Each individual must decide.  You will get the same BS when talking oil changes between dino and synthetic.  Same thing with tires.  People swear by Metzlers.  I tried them and they suck!  They are a hot dry weather tire.
  Your own personal experience will dictate what course you take.  I mean all gas is the same right?   Either way good luck on your decision.

HighJagger;  You are close.  If you are treating your motor to the best, why not plugs?  Plugs are typically rated on performance and not longivity.  There is a specific interval to change plugs no matter what the performance is.  You see some people change their plugs once or twice a year.  Is that right?  Nooooo.  You change plugs every 20k miles.  You check the plugs for wear, burn and gap at regular intervals in between.
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 20 queries.