Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Fairing mounted mirrors - a good thing?  (Read 6804 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Fairing mounted mirrors - a good thing?
« on: December 24, 2008, 12:34:02 AM »

Does anyone have the fairing mounted mirrors?  Are they a good thing or bad?  How do they mount?  Is there irreversible damage done to the fairing to mount them?  What do you end up with where the mirrors were at in the first place?  I think that's all the initial questions.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
Re: Fairing mounted mirrors - a good thing?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 01:17:20 AM »

I have ridden a SG with the fairing mounted mirrors and I like the look and wasn't particularly troubled by their performance.  At one time, I thought I wanted them.  Since the acquisition of my CVO, I have to say that I really like the billet mirrors and wouldn't think of changing them.  I have seen posts on other boards where SG owners are looking for ways to fill the holes left when they remove their fairing mounted mirrors, so  I gather that not everyone is enamored with them overall.  I think that for those who remove them it may come down to fairing mounted mirrors being "form over function". 
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 02:16:49 AM »

Does anyone have the fairing mounted mirrors?  Are they a good thing or bad?  How do they mount?  Is there irreversible damage done to the fairing to mount them?  What do you end up with where the mirrors were at in the first place?  I think that's all the initial questions.

Would you really want to drill a hole(s) in that beautiful red inner fairing?

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 02:46:34 AM »

I`ve got a Fatboy with the dragonfly-batwing and have these fairing-mounted mirrors because they look very good ( in my eyes ) and you see mor in them because they are further away from the eyes . But when i have had mounted them ( it`s just one small hole ) i first broke one of the plastic-screws and had to order a new mirror . I recognized that they vibrate very much and you can`t see anything when you are faster than about 55-60 mph , so i let the handlebar-mirrors on the bike , now i have 4 mirrors mounted , two for the " slow " and " see more " and two for the highway .
I would not mount them again , the handlebar-mirrors are better .
( As the others allways say : That`s just my 2(Euro-)Cents ) Muhuhuahaha .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

REGGAB

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 05:51:17 AM »

Not too sure about their functionality as compared to the stock mirrors.  Leave a big ugly hole if you remove them, which you might be able to cover with those bullet stickers.   ::)  No. 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 05:54:24 AM by HML »

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 07:19:20 AM »

I had them on my '97 reg UC and they were nice.  The only thing I noticed is that I am 6'5" and they seemed to be to low to get the view I wanted.  I liked the clean look!  I never had a problem with vibration.  Might be the difference between the Dragon fly and actual bat wing.  As for my new bike and at this time I don't want to drill into the inner fairing.  If it is something you want and have ridden a bike with them. I would have to say go for it. 
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 07:39:20 AM »

Thanks folks.  I guess I'll pass on mounting mirrors to the fairing.  I thought it would be a cleaner look and provide a better field of vision, but I'm not real keen on putting any holes in my fairing.  I suppose it would be a good alternative if for some reason I put a scratch on my inner fairing on either side, but for now I'll assume that's not going to happen.  I didn't think about he vibration issue (or non-issue), but I don't want to take the chance.  I had vibrating mirrors on a bike once before, and anytime I went over around 60mph, I pretty much couldn't see what was going on behind me.  I'm just trying to go over my bike piece by piece and making any changes I want to make to it over the winter months, so I don't have any down time when the weather becomes more biker friendly.  The more I look over this bike, the more I realize that there aren't a large number of parts that I need to make changes to.

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 09:30:51 AM »

CVO's in Europe are delivered with regular stock mirrors, not the nice chrome mirrors standard for CVO's in the U.S. Don't ask why. This, however, makes us buy a set of mirrors, either handle or fairing mounted. With this in mind, I have opted for the Kuryakyn # 1456   //  Blind Spot Mirrors with Inner Fairing Mounts //. I think they look sharp and they have extra turn signals. I like the clean look with fairing mounted mirrors on E-Glides best. The holes where the stock mirrors have been are closed with chrome bolts.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 10:19:29 AM »

Thanks folks.  I guess I'll pass on mounting mirrors to the fairing.  I thought it would be a cleaner look and provide a better field of vision, but I'm not real keen on putting any holes in my fairing.  I suppose it would be a good alternative if for some reason I put a scratch on my inner fairing on either side, but for now I'll assume that's not going to happen.  I didn't think about he vibration issue (or non-issue), but I don't want to take the chance.  I had vibrating mirrors on a bike once before, and anytime I went over around 60mph, I pretty much couldn't see what was going on behind me.  I'm just trying to go over my bike piece by piece and making any changes I want to make to it over the winter months, so I don't have any down time when the weather becomes more biker friendly.  The more I look over this bike, the more I realize that there aren't a large number of parts that I need to make changes to.

You've been here for 2 months now and are no longer a 'newbie' sooo... You've got to be joking, right?  ;D

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 10:46:19 AM »

There is a plus to the fairing mounted mirrors over the handbar mounted mirrors and that is if you happen to get tossed over the front fairing the skin on the back of your hands is most likely to be safe from being torn off by the stock CVO mirrors.   while knowing this is the case I just havent made the switch and that is because the newer mirrors allow me more visibility outside of my shoulders.   The fairing ones give more visibility than the stock bike mirrors, but not as much visibility as the new curved cvo mirrors.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 11:04:01 AM »

There is a plus to the fairing mounted mirrors over the handbar mounted mirrors and that is if you happen to get tossed over the front fairing the skin on the back of your hands is most likely to be safe from being torn off by the stock CVO mirrors.   while knowing this is the case I just havent made the switch and that is because the newer mirrors allow me more visibility outside of my shoulders.   The fairing ones give more visibility than the stock bike mirrors, but not as much visibility as the new curved cvo mirrors.

I'm sure a perons's build/physique have a lot to do with it, but I'd have to disagree, at least in my experience.  The fairing mirrors are the one mod. I'd  undo on my SEEG, if I could.  I do like the clean look, but (at least on the SEEG) the stock mirrors offered quite a bit better view.  As far as any safety aspect if you get ejected from the bike, wear proper riding attire (gloves) no matter what kind of mirrors you run!

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »

Why don't you get some cheap peel/stick mirrors from the auto parts store just to see how you like it?

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 11:12:13 AM »

Brian,

I have lighter leather gloves, but normally because it is so damn hot here in florida that gloves just don't cut it for me during the hot months.   It was just a detractor I thought I would throw out there.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 11:48:33 AM »

Harry, no more flying off your bike over the fairing. Actually, for you, no more flying off your bike at all.  You have had your lifetime supply of motorcycle accidents, and we can't stand for you to ever do that ever again.  Now others have to think about it, just not you.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 01:13:02 PM »

I have the faring mirrors on both of my SE's and find them to be both cleaner looking and functionally fine.

I am 6' and have had them on a stock Ultra as well since I really like the look.  As to drilling holes and damaging the bike, I don't plan to take them off so no worries here.  My 05 SEEG came with them so the guy I got it from had no worries either.

IMO if you like it go for it and don't worry about the holes.  If someone really wants the bike stock they can put it back without much issue, Gene could fill and paint the faring for a couple hundred bucks for a new owner if it ever came up and most likely it wouldn't come up.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 20 queries.