Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: What makes you stay where you live?  (Read 10738 times)

SPIDERMAN

Re: What makes you stay where you live?
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2009, 11:32:58 PM »

I love the weather in San Diego and have become very close with Beagle and his family, but the family place on the lake in Maine tugs at the heartstrings like nothing else in my life. It is where my roots are and of course I have more family members in Maine than I can count, lots of friends and some of my old MMMC Bros still, so I'm bi-coastal until I can't afford it anymore I guess. Nov-Apr in SoCal    May-Oct in Maine

B B

REGGAB

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2009, 12:05:03 AM »

"Home is where the Army sends you."

I was born in Alabama.  Dad got drafted.  Moved like crazy.  Finally settled just north of Columbus, GA not far from Ft. Benning.  Renea was born in Tennessee.  Her Dad got drafted.  Moved like crazy. Finally settled in Clarksville, TN...........but lived near us during a posting at Ft. Benning.  Renea and I used to go to the same roller skating rink when we were kids.  There's alot of familiarity there..........even though we think we never really met until 1996.  FF

Ended up joining the Army myself.  Went to Germany.  Came back to Ft. Benning.........then to Korea, then to Ft. Campbell, then to Korea, then to Ft. Campbell, then to Korea, then to Ft. Campbell, then to Ft. Rucker, Alabama where I retired.  Spent 9 months there after I retired before moving to north Alabama.

What makes Renea and I stay here?  Well, first, we like it here............we're both Army brats, so the concept of calling one place "home" exists only in the context of the first sentence I wrote in this post.  Second, we're close to all of our extended family.  Third.........with my education and skill set........I'm in the perfect place when it comes to employment. 

And it all just "happened."  Pretty Kewl..............I think.   :2vrolijk_21:

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2009, 04:08:21 AM »

I live where I live, because that is where I chose to move to when I retired from the Navy.

I grew up in MI, a very beautiful state, but very tax heavy and costly.  I spent most my Navy days on the East coast, 1 year in Boston, then 3 in Toms River NJ, then 1 in Norfolk VA, then 8 in Chareston SC, then 1 in Kings bay GA then the last 6 in Jacksonville FL.  SC was the only duty station I really liked the area.  Actually considered moving back when I retired.

I chose East TN for many reasons,  Wife and I both loved the area and when we were in SC and FL to go visit either of our families we had to go thru east TN.  So we decided thats where we would move to.  We loved the Smoky Mountains, the lakes, the rivers, the National forests and especially the senic roads.  With my job I can live any where I want in the Continental 48.

TN is not too hot in the summer like FL, not to cold in the winter like MI.  Even in the winter there are a few nice days you can ride each month.

TN has a low cost of living, no income tax, and low property tax.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Sean M Cary

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2009, 07:03:30 AM »

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2009, 10:04:59 AM »

Dave, what town in east TN?
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • Metal Art at The Wells Company
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2009, 10:18:56 AM »

Born in North Texas hill country and have lived my life here with exception of short vacation in Viet Nam. Our 27 acres in the country with 5 acre lake has been home for 40 years. Great riding, wonderful place for rasing our kids and now grandkids. My shop is here at home. Two gardens, water wells and 2000 undeveloped acres joining our land. We have 16 rescue cats, 2 rescue dogs and feed about 50 wild ducks, deer and other critters. Will also feed pasing through CVO bikers. Here is a pic of our land from the air.

Plasmaman

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2009, 10:51:52 AM »

Family, job, I guess, the company that I worked for 25 yrs still paying me a good wage. Don't worry 5 to 6 more years We'll be Florida snowbirds. Probly an hr south of Coco Beach. :2vrolijk_21:
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2009, 11:34:56 AM »

I want to live where Plasmaman lives!!

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 SERK
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2009, 01:48:54 PM »

I want to live where Plasmaman lives!!

Me Too! I'd only add a machine gun nest along the front entrance..... :rifle:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2009, 01:56:07 PM »

Born in North Texas hill country and have lived my life here with exception of short vacation in Viet Nam. Our 27 acres in the country with 5 acre lake has been home for 40 years. Great riding, wonderful place for rasing our kids and now grandkids. My shop is here at home. Two gardens, water wells and 2000 undeveloped acres joining our land. We have 16 rescue cats, 2 rescue dogs and feed about 50 wild ducks, deer and other critters. Will also feed pasing through CVO bikers. Here is a pic of our land from the air.

Plasmaman

Can you swim in the lake or is it full of water snakes ?

B B

RedFXR2

« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2009, 02:04:28 PM »

...North Texas hill country ... Our 27 acres in the country with 5 acre lake ..... Two gardens, water wells and 2000 undeveloped acres joining our land.

Can I retire and pitch a tent on the other side of your lake?  I'll be real good, I promise.

Gol-lee I'm jealous. :'( :'( :'(

RedFXR2

« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2009, 02:06:38 PM »

Can you swim in the lake or is it full of water snakes ?

Snakes, schmakes.  Who cares?  I'm still jealous.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2009, 02:14:27 PM »

Snakes, schmakes.  Who cares?  I'm still jealous.

Snakes are for belts, boots and hatbands and if you've got Asian blood in you, for eating. 

Texas gets hot and a swim after a long day in the saddle feels sweeeeeeeeet, but NOT with frikkin water moccasion for company. 

B B

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2009, 03:01:45 PM »

Texas gets hot and a swim after a long day in the saddle feels sweeeeeeeeet, but NOT with frikkin water moccasion for company. 

B B

Y'all must be a bunch of city boys :D :D  Ain't you ever been down to the pond or creek and went skinny-dipping?  Them snakes ain't gonna bother you if you don't bother them ;)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2009, 03:17:44 PM »

Y'all must be a bunch of city boys :D :D  Ain't you ever been down to the pond or creek and went skinny-dipping?  Them snakes ain't gonna bother you if you don't bother them ;)

Lemme se here Mr Rebel. I was born and raised and lived for 44 years in the Great State of Maine. Population for the entire state just recently exceded 1,000,000 which puts it in the bottom 5 or 6 in the USA Land mass is I believe #8. People per square mile is something like 1/250 so I believe that qualifies me as a country boy. You can have your damn snakes. Like I said, they make great belts, boots and hatbands.

B B
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.