Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: Where'd All The Posts Go?  (Read 6363 times)

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
Re: Where'd All The Posts Go?
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2009, 05:22:17 AM »

Since you bring up the survey, there were only 112 responses from 7000+ members, indicating that a very small percentage participated.  That either places a qualification on the validity of the results, or makes a statement about the small number of active participants on the board as compared to the total membership.  Or maybe that was the point of the survey--to see just how many active participants there really were.  Whatever, the small number of responses indicate a concensus among just that---a small number of respondents.

There is only about 90 members with more than 1,000 posts, but more than 3,500 without any posts at all! If I am correct.
In this board the balance between "very active" and "not active at all" is not as good as desirable. But hey, anyone who likes CVO's and just wants to look at the threads is fine by me.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

RedFXR2

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2009, 07:04:05 AM »

There is only about 90 members with more than 1,000 posts, but more than 3,500 without any posts at all!

Wonder why?

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2009, 08:02:30 AM »

Duane, Candy, Troy, and the 2 Brians got it right! This site takes people being able to be themselves, without worrying about who doesn't like something. If the posts are not offensive, flaming, or NSFW, then what's the harm of some starting a thread to have some fun. Exactly what the off- topic board was created for! But I guess fun must go the way of politics! Why not religion too! WTH does that have to do with motorcycles anyway? How about ANYTHING NOT MOTORCYCLE RELATED! Maybe it should all just be humorless, more technical blah blah about HD's technically silly design, heavy, slow ill handling machines we love...if that ain't silly I don't know what is! Way too easy to hit that "Cry To Mommy" button, and force Neal and the mods to do something. I hope all you crybabies who complain get what you're looking for.............A boring site without the fun that comes with it! You'll never get to know someone looking for a cam, or a chrome thingie! And with that fun comes the relationships and friendships! Hmmm.............Those days seem to be waining now!!! :( :( :( >:(

Hoist! 8)

Howie, Duane, Candy, Troy, and the 2 Brians got it right!  :pumpkin:

hehehehehehehehehehe!
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

hdhog1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Autumn Haze CUSE
    • CVO2: Canyon Copper SEFB2
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2009, 10:53:03 AM »

Wow what a can of worms.  I thought Hoists original question was very simple.  The answer seems to have gotten very complicated.

I for one have enjoyed this site immensely.  Sometimes I want a serious answer to my questions.  Sometimes its ok to get funny ones.  I must say with all the crap going on around us everyday, I can open this site and laugh outload.  That is a good thing right?

On the otherside of the coin.  When I was in the computer field, space to store data was both limited and expensive.  Something always had to be removed.  I.E. Year end purges, backups & storage to other mediums.  This information then became archives and was not readily accessible.

I do not want to start any problems or quarells.   I am just one of the many new members who have joined with no knowledge of the heirarchy or expense.
I have wondered.  Who pays for this sites space and maintenance?  The domain is not free is it?  Would not the person(s) dedicated to the expense and or upkeep be the one(s) to make the decision(s)?  Even freedom of speech has a cost attached.

I think as members we have an obligation to abide by any decisions the leaders make.  I do not think any member would oppose that.  However, any member of any group should always have the right to voice their opionion or ask a question or even complain.  Management should be obliged to offer an explaination.  Otherwise it becomes a dictatorship IMHO.

The point I think was to simply get an answer from the powers that be.  The supreme commander may have to field the final answer on this.

Excuse my ramblings.
                                                                                  Randy   

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2009, 11:01:29 AM »

Revelstoke British Columbia in 2002. Here is another one of the Columbia River near the same location.

WHY ?

B B

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2009, 11:02:02 AM »

Revelstoke British Columbia in 2002. Here is another one of the Columbia River near the same location.

WOULD

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2009, 11:02:47 AM »

ANY SANE PERSON WANT TO BE HERE AT THIS TIME OF YEAR ?

B B

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2009, 11:05:12 AM »

This place is not a democracy.  I'll comply with any rules that I'm made aware of.  I'm a guest and I don't want to offend my host.  What I like MOST about the site, and the reason I joined, is the humor and comraderie.  I've made many friends and met many fantastic folks who share similar interests.  I like that technical questions are answered within the first few posts of new threads and the rest is fun.  There are a LOT of very cleaver people here and I enjoy my time here and look forward to it daily.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2009, 11:06:37 AM »

This place is not a democracy.  I'll comply with any rules that I'm made aware of.  I'm a guest and I don't want to offend my host.  What I like MOST about the site, and the reason I joined, is the humor and comraderie.  I've made many friends and met many fantastic folks who share similar interests.  I like that technical questions are answered within the first few posts of new threads and the rest is fun.  There are a LOT of very cleaver people here and I enjoy my time here and look forward to it daily.

What a suck up  :P :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

B B

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2009, 11:07:06 AM »

Wow what a can of worms.  I thought Hoists original question was very simple.  The answer seems to have gotten very complicated.

I for one have enjoyed this site immensely.  Sometimes I want a serious answer to my questions.  Sometimes its ok to get funny ones.  I must say with all the crap going on around us everyday, I can open this site and laugh outload.  That is a good thing right?

On the otherside of the coin.  When I was in the computer field, space to store data was both limited and expensive.  Something always had to be removed.  I.E. Year end purges, backups & storage to other mediums.  This information then became archives and was not readily accessible.

I do not want to start any problems or quarells.   I am just one of the many new members who have joined with no knowledge of the heirarchy or expense.
I have wondered.  Who pays for this sites space and maintenance?  The domain is not free is it?  Would not the person(s) dedicated to the expense and or upkeep be the one(s) to make the decision(s)?  Even freedom of speech has a cost attached.

I think as members we have an obligation to abide by any decisions the leaders make.  I do not think any member would oppose that.  However, any member of any group should always have the right to voice their opionion or ask a question or even complain.  Management should be obliged to offer an explaination.  Otherwise it becomes a dictatorship IMHO.

The point I think was to simply get an answer from the powers that be.  The supreme commander may have to field the final answer on this.

Excuse my ramblings.
                                                                                  Randy   

Randy,

The site is owned by Neal, AKA Naitram, who pays for the hardware, software, network, etc.  Instead of having ads on the site, this site is self supported.  There is a "Make a Donation" button on the upper right of the screen.  If you like the site, you can make a donation there.  Thanks, and welcome.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

hdhog1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Autumn Haze CUSE
    • CVO2: Canyon Copper SEFB2
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2009, 11:28:29 AM »

Randy,

The site is owned by Neal, AKA Naitram, who pays for the hardware, software, network, etc.  Instead of having ads on the site, this site is self supported.  There is a "Make a Donation" button on the upper right of the screen.  If you like the site, you can make a donation there.  Thanks, and welcome.
  Ok that answers that, thank you Erniezap.
  Technically it is a dictatorship then and Neal aka Naitram can and should do whatever he wants.

I support, applaud and thank him for allowing me to use his site, weather or not any donations are made.
                                                     Thank you
                                                       Randy

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2009, 11:32:25 AM »

I've never seen an entire thread removed, especially one that's that's been around so long. Locked I've seen. Removed, not that I recall. Weird! That's why this board was started from what I remember. CRS? ??? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

Howie - no doubt the folks that run the place have the say on what goes & what doesn't go - that is understood.  Why some threads have existed (& still do) since before I arrived that are every bit as dumb/stupid/weird as ones that get blitzed is a valid question.  If a housecleaning is taking place, the cleaners/sweepers are like some of the inspectors I used to work with - entirely subjective.

Anyway, from what I have read most here enjoy the social aspect of the board as well as the tech side.  Frankly, this board as a definitive tech source for bike info is ALSO quite subjective.  Some tech stuff is good, other tech stuff frankly is not, and eventually about 99% of tech threads also go off topic. There are other sources (written/published) which are quite good & nowhere near as subjective/biased as opinions posted on any board. I used to moderate (other boards - long ago) and remember hearing complaints about off topic stuff, mod/admin favoritism & other gobbledegook.  Some valid, some not.  Chucklewhore stuff for me many times, frankly.

Also, some folks think their posts are golden & above any type of interference (not me) and some have a whacked idea of what goes vs what should stay.  I don't worry about it, and as to efficient time wasting or time well spent, opportunities abound.

;)

Mike
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2009, 11:46:15 AM »

(...)
(...)

That is quite easy to answer: Take a look at this thread:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=31818.0

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2009, 02:30:37 PM »

A few thoughts here.

First, the "Cry To Mommy" Button. GET RID OF IT!!! Why do we need a Cry To Mommy button. We're all adults although we don't always act that way! But as adults, we should know when to ignore something unimportant to us, or that doesn't affect us. I get annoyed at things in my life everyday. Shake your head and move on. It doesn't affect your life in any way but getting annoyed. So ignore it! And if it affects you directly, deal with it head on. Believe me, that won't last long here before you hear from management here anyway! And worst case, if you're being affected personally by something, then by all means, send the mod a PM. But having that button there for the hitting is just bad news!!! GET RID OF IT!!!

Second, the Email Notification about posts to a thread you're following! GET RID OF IT!!! Neal recently created a My Bookmarks tab at the top, and a way of putting any thread you want in there. You can keep track of all the threads you're following in My Bookmarks without getting all those annoying emails that someone responded to your thread. Just check the thread in your bookmarks periodically, and you can bypass all the meaningless posts if there were any, without getting annoyed by emails. But having the emails backup on people for this reason is bad news too. So, GET RID OF IT!!!

Third. This site is owned by Neal and we all get to play here, as long as we are good guests in his house. We discuss things that affect all of us online here. The crybabies that complain all the time to them about post counts, irrelevant post, or BS like that should grow a set of cajones and say something publicly. WTH do youze do in your personal lives in the face of adversity? Go cry to mommy? Think about it! You're grown men here (and women)! Start acting like it! Nothing wrong with grown men acting silly and having fun! Get a life crybabies!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 02:51:32 PM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2009, 02:49:01 PM »

What Howie Said  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 21 queries.