Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Just what Harley needs: Competition for the Softtails - Honda Fury  (Read 7083 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Just what Harley needs: Competition for the Softtails - Honda Fury
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2009, 01:31:26 PM »

Thats why all youz need an oldster, sumtin to leak in the garage besides a new bike...  :P

An original '84 evo motor on a rigid frame's as old school as I'll be going Mike! But don't worry, it'll still be a chain driven 4-speed leaker for ole time sakes!!! Might not hold a candle in the leaking department to your Oldster, but I'll still get the same looks as you when she leaves her mark on someone's new cement job!!! ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2009, 01:31:35 PM »

Thats why all youz need an oldster, sumtin to leak in the garage besides a new bike...  :P

There you go! I'd love to get an old bike like your's!

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2009, 02:29:10 PM »

We've always thought along these lines ...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:40:32 AM by Louis »

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2009, 04:06:13 PM »

I noticed the nice pavers in the driveway, do you carry a piece of cardboard to catch the oil?
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2009, 07:34:55 PM »

My comments were in response to the title of the the 1st post, and just expressing my opinion on the subject. I think there are several points made and really do get all of them.

I'm just saying there is a completely different market for die hard Harley owners compared to others. Yes, you are right we are a dying breed but in this economy even before it collapsed, the 40 to 60+ year olds are the majority with an income to afford a Harley. And I do see younger riders going for the Harley.

I agree riding is riding no matter what bike you have, I don't have issue with metrics, just don't see the Fury as competition to a softail Harley IMHO. I also agree that it is not a matter of having the most sophisicated and technical evolved bike that defines a Harley, it is a bit of soul you can't quite capture with anything else.

I do appreciate these discussions, I don't take any offense and don't mean to with anyone else. It is hard to express why we like our Harleys, I just recall someone once saying something about Harley owners having something of substance between their legs. ;) :coolblue: :2vrolijk_21:

I'm sorry, did I miss the part where we acted as though we GAF ?  ;) ;D :D :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

The best threads are the ones that engender discussion.

That's the difference between a forum and a website I believe.

B B

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2009, 08:40:20 AM »

Well said..
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2009, 10:30:08 AM »

The rear fender sits too high , but altogether not a bad looking bike.

I certainly woudln't consider it though
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2009, 10:37:44 AM »

has there ever been a survey on this site of how many CVO owners own a Jap car?

My cages are a Ford Explorer and a PT Cruiser...

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2009, 12:47:39 PM »

As my bud Howie would say, some folks say stuff and because they say it it is true! Whatever......I've been riding since I was 14 and that doesn't make me anything but a rider. I've ridden Ossa Phatoms, Yamahas Hondas, Nortons, BSA's, BMW's and the Harleys. I would say that discussing why someone rides a Harley would be very similar to discussing spiritual issues. You are going to end up in a argument! Jap and German bike get you where you are going and don't break very often. Just don't think they have any soul and the brotherhood of the harley riders is all the Moto Co has going for it. As I have become older, wiser and make better business decisions why did I buy a Harley? It wasn't because its the best buy or the most dependable but because of How It Makes Me Feel When I RIDE. The only complaint I really have is I wish the MotoCo would actually build me the best motorcycle the USA has to offer for the $30K + they ask me to spend. When you compare what the Japs and the Germans can do with the money they spend and you look at the Money the MotoCo ask you to spend..........it's just sad. And their hayday will come to an end usless they start taking some pride in the product. They need to act like "Made in the USA" actually means something!!!!!! I think they need to make a motorcycle that eveyone wants to own because its made in the USA and its the best product money can buy!!! :soapbox: :soapbox:

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2009, 01:38:54 PM »

As my bud Howie would say, some folks say stuff and because they say it it is true! Whatever......I've been riding since I was 14 and that doesn't make me anything but a rider. I've ridden Ossa Phatoms, Yamahas Hondas, Nortons, BSA's, BMW's and the Harleys. I would say that discussing why someone rides a Harley would be very similar to discussing spiritual issues. You are going to end up in a argument! Jap and German bike get you where you are going and don't break very often. Just don't think they have any soul and the brotherhood of the harley riders is all the Moto Co has going for it. As I have become older, wiser and make better business decisions why did I buy a Harley? It wasn't because its the best buy or the most dependable but because of How It Makes Me Feel When I RIDE. The only complaint I really have is I wish the MotoCo would actually build me the best motorcycle the USA has to offer for the $30K + they ask me to spend. When you compare what the Japs and the Germans can do with the money they spend and you look at the Money the MotoCo ask you to spend..........it's just sad. And their hayday will come to an end usless they start taking some pride in the product. They need to act like "Made in the USA" actually means something!!!!!! I think they need to make a motorcycle that eveyone wants to own because its made in the USA and its the best product money can buy!!! :soapbox: :soapbox:
Well said.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

bogman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO-Softail-Springer-FXSTSSE3
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2009, 05:04:35 PM »

Poor attempt at a Harley look alike, rear end is kind of acceptable, Honda's should stick at what they do best, this sucks

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2009, 08:26:27 AM »

I took a good look at one this past weekend at the show in Cleveland....from a distance it looked pretty nice, although a closer inspection revealed what must be a lame attempt to make it look home built with the unfinished welds on the upper frame, which looked bad. I also thought the chrome plated plastic engine covers looked cheap, almost like the engine was fake. The sheet metal did look nice....not for me though.

-d

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2009, 08:43:41 AM »

I noticed the nice pavers in the driveway, do you carry a piece of cardboard to catch the oil?

I shut the chain olier off and rarely park on the pavers now but there are plenty of spots...
It has a regular drip pan in the garage, it ain't oo bad, about the diameter of a golf ball after each ride..When I had the chain oiler on and was breakin it in, it spat oil everywhere...I use the newfangles oilsorb diaper type pads, works great.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2009, 09:27:57 AM »

I took a good look at one this past weekend at the show in Cleveland....from a distance it looked pretty nice, although a closer inspection revealed what must be a lame attempt to make it look home built with the unfinished welds on the upper frame, which looked bad. I also thought the chrome plated plastic engine covers looked cheap, almost like the engine was fake. The sheet metal did look nice....not for me though.

-d

Gotta have chrome plated plastic it's a HONDA!...I've not seen one in person and glad to have an eyeball review.  Thanks.

karl

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE-sold
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2009, 10:24:18 AM »

Steve, everything you wrote makes PERFECT sense! There are NO categories with an HD that offers a superior product from an engineering standpoint. There are NO sound reasons from an engineering standpoint to buy these bikes over other bikes. Then why would anyone in their right mind buy one over other bikes? Cause we love em anyway, in spite of their antiquated design! We love the soul that comes with them that none of the others can offer! (Yes, I've owned Jap bikes.) We love the lure and legend that HD has become in over a century of production! We love the brotherhood, culture and mystique that comes with the HD lifestyle. We love that it brings us together with similar minded people, and how easy it is to meet them when we have these bikes in common! We love how these bikes ride and feel, even though they might not be the most technologically advanced! Not saying it's not at all possible to get that feel from other bikes. But I for one never have! I'd never knock anyone for owning another brand. I'd never own a Softail either, even though it's a HD. But I'd rather see someone in the wind on ANYTHING, than not be in the wind at all! But for me, a HD (or an improved aftermarket version) is the only way to go!!! But hey, WTF do I know!   

Hoist!

Well said!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.47 seconds with 25 queries.